Greyhounds for hunting?

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
My father-in-law was telling us that when he was growing up in the country about 40-50 years ago, many of the ranchers acutally kept packs of greyhounds for hunting coyotes. He said they'd use small packs of three greyhounds and one or two scenthounds. The scenthound would track the coyote, and the greyhounds would run the coyote down and kill it once they came within sight.

I was intrigued, since I've never heard of greyhounds being used for anything other than racing in recent years. I've only heard of scenthounds still being used in their traditional working roles. Do people still hunt with greyhounds? Or any other sighthound, for that matter?

I've never heard of that...I think it's kind of strange, Greyhounds have thin skin that can easily be torn, a coyote could probably kill a grey very easily... I have heard that they would use a pointer to point out prey and then have the greyhounds go after it, but we're talking about rabbits there.

I believe they were used mainly for hunting small prey like rabbits. The dogs would spot the prey and then chase it down. In later times though, I think pointers were used to point out prey and then the greys would catch it.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
They were orginally bred to be desert hunting dogs, possibly jackals...so it would fit? I'll have to look that up...

EDIT:

The physical attributes and the speed of the Greyhound has been admired by cultures down through the ages, from the Egyptians and the Greeks, to Persia and the civilizations of the Middle East and beyond. These dogs were used for racing and for the pursuit of small to medium-sized game, such as fox, hare, coyote, etc.
www.barkbytes.com

Richie12345

...zoom.... zoom zoom zoom...

...silly zoom... look at my post above

please just tell me you got that from what I posted

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Whoops. :rolleyes: I think I was in the midst of editing when you posted and I didn't see what you wrote. But hey, GMTA, right?

Richie12345

Meh, don't worry I have done stupider things, like try to make a thread, not realizing that I'm already in a thread
Zoom said:
But hey, GMTA, right?
That's true :D

M

Manchesters

Ya'll ever seen a Borzoi? Originally known as the Russian Wolf Hound? Two of them can bring down a wolf. And they are the fastest dogs.....with speeds up to 55MPH!! They are also magnifciently beautiful, and also treacherous as hades!

Members online

No members online now.