How some 19th century breeds looked

Boemy

These are from some museum with taxidermied (a real word?) dogs. Interesting! I found them on this page.

The basset hound

Dachshund

Last edited:

Boemy

Edited so people don't have to see the "NOES IT BE OUR IMAGE" image another four times. :p

Last edited:

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Now that's a scary beast.

It's so interesting to see how the breeds have changed over the years...GSD's went from unknown to popular but still called "German wolfdogs" for quite some time. The Bulldog has undergone some of the biggest changes and I love the description on one page "A breed known more for it's obstinate courage than good looks". The Fox Terriers used to have a more practical front instead of the straight, stilted look they acquired in the 40's and continues on today. Most of the Sighthounds have remained about the same, though with less coat than today's dogs.

Pops2

you can find hunt bred bassets today that have even less ear. the lady who bred my long dog ran them. they get together like the fox hunts but on foot after rabbit.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I posted these about a year ago. There were some more interesting ones, but i don't know where I found them. I do wonder on some how accurate the stuffing was for the mounts. I know if you get the wrong shape things can look pretty weird when you've stuffed an animal.

Is a very interesting page.

I wonder what bulldog people of the old days would say if they see one from this times.

Members online

No members online now.