Rabbits Fighting - need help

mrose_s

BusterLove
HI, my sister and i got RABBIT each for christmas, we are guessing that they were about 2 months old then, just estimating.

they are both females (checked by both pet store owner and vet) though neither is spayed.

there cage is about 1.1 metres by 0.6 metres, we are aiming on getting them a larger cage as they are now growing.

we let them out for atleast 30 mins a day, but i doubt this is long enough

willow is a little bigger than thistle and is chasing her round the cage, grabbing her fur and causing scabs to form. i have slept with them in my bedroom a couple of times and have woken up to them running around the cage, i open it and thistle puts her little feet up on the edge wheezing more then ever, they tend to wheeze when they get anxious, and i have to pick her up and nurse her for 20 minutes or so just to get her to calm down.

is this because of the soze of their cage? dominational? because they are not spayed? or do they just not enjoy the others company???

Saintgirl

I have been told that the same sex will sometimes fight over territory, it may not matter what size cage you have then in if it is a territorial issue. I'm not sure if this is the truth, but I hope that everything works out with you and your bunnies!

milo

Labrador lover!!!!!
yer i agree with saintgirl.. both sexs do fight over stuff and if they are not spayed then it makes things worse!! my girls are fighting at the mo too so i had to buy another hutch for them but when they get spayed i will put them back together again!!
weel good luck!!!

Saje

Island dweller
Did you bond them properly or are they sisters?

You're right 30 minutes is not nearly enough time to run and play. They need at least two hours!

They are probably feeling their hormones and yes getting them spayed would probalby fix the problem. You should get them spayed anyway because rabbits are VERY prone to cancer. If you read www.rabbit.org about spaying you'll find out about rabbit-savvy vets. Not all vets are qualified or experienced enough to alter rabbits.

mrose_s

BusterLove
ok, thanks

well i feel terrible, thistle is out with me now before i get ready for school because we had to set up a makeshift hutch to keep her in last night, she got bashed again just before bed so we couldnt keeep her there any longer.

the problem is, we had to use a milkcrate. with chicken wire around it :( i feel so bad about it. i let her slep in my room though. but we had to split them, when i cleaned the cage last night, i found bits of thistle hair all through it, she already has scabs all over her back.

about the bonding thing, they were together at the pet shop when we got them, about the same size and both got a white spot on their noses, but we are not sure if they are sisters.

also, we think we might let them have babies, not uncontrollable amounts, and sell them to the pet shop. if no-one takes them from there, i will ring them home - having them spayed. the reason for this is because the pet shop here has to order its bunnies from 300kms away, so they have to travel that far... sounding ok about that last paragraph or not a good idea???

also, do rabbits need any vaccines

Saje

Island dweller
I would not breed your rabbits. There are SO many rabbits out there. They are the most abandoned animal after cats and dogs. the thing is that people don't turn them into shelters they just 'set them free' which is heartbreaking. You babies don't need to have babies.

There are vaccines for rabbits it depends on where you live.

You can read on my website about building really neat cages. The url is in my sig. I have the C&C cages although I've changed it from the one on my site. They are easy to make and you can get the cubes at lots of different places.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
"also, we think we might let them have babies, not uncontrollable amounts, and sell them to the pet shop. if no-one takes them from there, i will ring them home - having them spayed. the reason for this is because the pet shop here has to order its bunnies from 300kms away, so they have to travel that far... sounding ok about that last paragraph or not a good idea???"

Horrid idea why would you do that? Most pet stores will not buy rabbits from home breeders and usually will take them for free. did you know what rabbits from petstores are not always sold as pets??? Alot are sold as snake food and so you would never know wether the offspring was living happy lives with new families or already dead in a snakes belly.

Also what Saje said there are enough homeless rabbits in the world.

Bad idea definatly.

mrose_s

BusterLove
ok, ill take that advice, after school im putting a notice at the corna shop about wanting a cage, we have to get her one soon

Members online

No members online now.