Did your dog's personality stay the same?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Did your dog's general personality/temperament/tendencies stay the same from puppyhood to adult?

Or if you didn't get it as a puppy, when first brought home to now?

Lalala.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Yes! Juno was the biggest goofball, playplayplay puppy.... happy, friendly, and eager, but a little bit ADD and always looking for a game. Nothing has changed in the past 4.5 years. She's still a dork. She still has a toy in her mouth 90% of the time and thinks every time is play time. She still becomes the happiest creature on the planet when she gets to run and play.

Lucy was a lazy, crotchety dog when she came home as a pup. Yep, still the same. :rofl1:

Happy, of all dogs, has actually changed since I've had her. Her bio from the rescue said she likes attention, but doesn't seek it. It also said she prefers men. And I got the impression that she'd be lazy and sleep in a corner all day. She ended becoming the most affectionate dog I have and she has no hesitation seeking attention from ANYONE, regardless of gender lol. She is also maybe the most demanding for walks.

Toller_08

In most ways, yes, but they've all changed a bit as well.

Dance was a super skittish puppy. The only puppy I've ever had who would totally put the brakes on and refuse to walk a further step if there were strangers nearby or anything else she thought was weird. She was also super biddable and just a huge mom suck. Now, as a mature adult, she's much more comfortable with environments overall, but still a weirdo with most people, and she's become very independent as she's gotten older. Everything is all about her now and she constantly questions me. She works for food and play. Not for me haha. She likes to do her own thing, on her own terms. She's also increasingly bitchy and snarky with other dogs and has become a bit of a control freak Fun Police, whereas she used to be quite playful. But that seems pretty common in mature dogs. WHen it comes down to it though, her inherent temperament is still there. She's just braver due to exposure and training, but her naturally skittish, jumpy temperament is always just under the surface.

Keira was a nightmare youngster. She was the only dog I've ever had that I thought I hated. I truly thought I'd never like her. She was super independent, distracted, not motivated by much, had separation anxiety, was a screamer, ran here there and everywhere without thought... just super annoying, no matter what. She's still kind of like that. She's overstimulated easily and I have to be careful to ensure that I don't let her get away with not thinking, but she's actually quite endearing and more level headed than she was. She's super sweet, kind, gentle and she has grown to love learning. She's not the best at it, but I am really enjoying her. We've come to terms with one another over the last couple of years and have actually formed a relationship lol. It took a long time, but there are many things I love about her now. I guess if I really think about though, yes, her base temperament is the same. Just a lot of time and energy has gone into making her livable haha.

Ripley is totally different than when he was young. Just completely. He was such a derpy, happy go lucky, people pleasing, super friendly youngster. I thought he'd grow up to be a bombproof dog. Instead, he's gotten increasingly insecure, thinks he should alert me to things he deems strange (someone walking in our field, wearing weird clothes), and is not reliably dog friendly any longer. Some of these I think are just mature Doberman things, but other things I find a little weird. He should be a lot more brave and confident than he is, and he has no reason to be a little off wish some people now, when he was totally fine in the past. Even at home he's more insecure and worries, and I can't think of anything to have caused it. But he's still a sweet, dopey boy just like he used to be. Just not quite the dog I expected him to turn into at all. It makes me sad, because I know I did everything in my power to mold him into a confident, take anywhere dog. I feel like maybe his thyroid is affecting his temperament, because these changes occurred after 3 years old, but blood panels don't show anything.

Journey is only a year old but she's basically the same as when I brought her home. Super happy, playful, easily motivated. If anything she's even more outgoing than when she was younger. But I don't consider a 12 month old dog to be an adult, so we'll see what happens in the next year or two. I hope she stays this wonderful forever.

Last edited:

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Well, Abrams is still a puppy (at six months)...but he hasn't changed at all. He's still a wuss and throws tantrums. He still loves to play, knows no physical bounderies, and loves people. He's still an intelligent, food driven, idiot goof ball dog. LOL I suspect that maturing will refine his edges a bit and make him less excitable...but I don't see his core personality changing.

Chloe was a snarky, reactive, sassy, awesome bitch of a puppy when she was in puppy kindergarten class, and she is still that today. Again, her personality just refined itself a bit.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I think the base temperament is the same. My first thought of Mia when I met her was that she seemed very shy and she is a dog that is not comfortable with strangers. And then the screaming for 7 hours straight after getting her in the car was a good indication she's a loudmouth and into trouble. ;)

She has developed a lot. She's less dog tolerant than she was and if possible even less stranger tolerant- although she's not one that is going to acknowledge a stranger at all, she just tends to move away quietly. I will be honest that my gut reaction to meeting Mia was she was the wrong dog because she was shy but I would not trade her for the world. She is the best dang dog I've ever had.

I've known Summer since 3 months and the biggest thing that stood out was that her toy drive was present at 3 months but gone when I got her at 4 years. And now I've built up a little bit with the tug artificially. But she was ALWAYS super in yor face happy friendly. I remember thinking Summer and I had a special bond before I got her. Every time we'd go visit the breeder, Summer would be the dog in my lap the entire time and the first and most enthusiastic greeter. I thought we had something 'special' going on but now I realize that she just is an attention slut and loves everyone. :p

Equinox

Yes and no. I like what Laurelin says about the base temperament and think that applies to Trent as well.

As a puppy, Trent was a very solemn, serious, independent little puppy. He didn't have much interest in people and in fact liked strangers even more than he liked us. He really loved to chew and shred, but otherwise wasn't big on playing. He wasn't very affectionate, either... he just liked to bite people and didn't have much patience for cuddles or kisses. If you tried to go in for kisses you'd be lucky to get away with your lips intact. He was smart as a whip and very driven for food, but otherwise ambivalent about a lot of things. Just sort of an impersonal puppy.

As an adult, Trent is still a serious dog but he's also a bit of a baby, too. He still has his independent streak, but also likes to play the role of overzealous guardian. Definitely less thrilled about strangers than he was before, although he still loves on any welcome guests in our house. He's still not a cuddler and doesn't stay still too long to be smothered with kisses, but he tolerates them occasionally. He'll bury his head in my arms for a few moments when I tell him I love him, or he'll sit on my lap for butt scratches. He takes life pretty seriously, can sometimes be a spazz (more so than when he was a puppy), but he's gotten a lot goofier and more playful since. I think that is more nurture and less nature because he's never been a "wheeeeee! LIFE!" kind of dog, but he has his fun. Major ball drive, moderate food drive, looooves to play. Tug, chase, catch, you name it.

Four years ago he made me never, ever want puppies again. I like adult Trent, though.

AmandaNola

Wanna Pet My Wiener?
Mostly, yes. She's always been handler oriented, aloof, focused, driven, bold, bossy and brazen. She has changed in that she doesn't care for dogs outside the family's where she used to play with them a lot.

sojello

Yes my dog has. She has always been a bit fearful/wary of people/environments she doesn't know. Although she has gotten better as she aged, with conditioning.

Gypsydals

Ivan is pretty much the same now at 8 then when he was a puppy. He STILL goes though life full tilt and with out thinking. The only big thing that changed when he hit maturity was his annoying penchant for not wanting anyone in the house. At home he wants all strangers and some family members to get the F* out. But yet take him away from the house and hes willing to meet and greet just about everyone.
Peewee is still the fun police and always has been. He's never been much for playing with toys. As hes gotten older he really could care less about alot of things other than his food. :rolleyes: The "I'm starving, must have food" is getting real old. He trash picks, steals food off from tables when your back is turned. He never did that as a puppy. Fact is he was just about the most perfect puppy you could ever ask for.

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
Quinn has actually lightened up as she's gotten older LOL.

She was an ultra serious puppy and if I tried to get her excited she would sit down away from me and grumble until I stopped - then would come over when I was "settled". She totally knew how to teach me LOL. Our training sessions looked rather boring in that regard, but that's how she liked it! Right from the get go she LOVED kids, and everyone really. She's always been super confident and resilient, and very people oriented.

She's still all those things but now she's learned she can have a little bit more fun. She's still not a dog that loves rough housing or wrestling, but if she's already in a playful mood she likes it when I grab her and hold her and will even sometimes jump at me and mouth my sleeves. She loves weaving in between my legs, growling and smiling. She will also wag her tail and lick more than she did when she was younger - though still not often compared to a "normal" dog. She's developed a lot more toy and hunting drive as well. She's developed some guardian instincts, like I expected she would with age, like running wolves off the property (eek!!) and taking offence to people trying to enter the house without our permission. Of course though she's still a total love and very people friendly!

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Teagans personality pretty much stayed the same. She is still my sweet, snarky girl. But she did become less into strangers. Before she was happy to meet new people, now she could care less about people she does not know, they cease to exist in her mind.

Panzer is still a pup, but I am guessing he will stay the same happy, sweet, goofy, cuddly and sometimes serious puppy. He is also very independent and confident. Those traits will stay the same, but I am pretty confident as he hits maturity his reaction to strangers will change. Right now he is politely friendly to strangers as he matures he probably won't give two cents about them. Also as he matures his protective instinct will kick in and he probably will become less tolerant of other male dogs as he will be kept intact and his breed has a good change of become SSA.

Hudson - Yes. Definitely yes. But, he is only a year so things might change a bit

In the car, of the three puppies he settled down the soonest, even though the other two were in a crate together and he was alone. When we stopped at rest stops, he was the most confident of the group. He was nervous and scared and you could tell, but he brave enough to at least walk around a little with me.

He has always LOVED people, not an aloof bone in his body. He has always been a goofy, wiggle boy

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Those traits will stay the same, but I am pretty confident as he hits maturity his reaction to strangers will change. Right now he is politely friendly to strangers as he matures he probably won't give two cents about them. Also as he matures his protective instinct will kick in and he probably will become less tolerant of other male dogs as he will be kept intact and his breed has a good change of become SSA.
I expect the same with Abrams. He'll be six months old in a week and around that five month mark he started to become a lot more watch-doggy. He alert barks to things where before he wouldn't make a peep. People or things that are not "normal" around the house and yard are barked at. People or things in public that are not "normal" are barked at. He's still friendly when approached, but in unfamiliar environments he doesn't really care about strangers and won't approach them unless they illicit it first.

If anything, I hope he becomes more confident in himself. In some cases when he is barking, I can tell it is more of a knee-jerk wuss reaction versus a confident dog alerting. I have seen an improvement, though, so I'm hopeful he'll get there in time. He now has a "confident dog alerting" bark, and it sounds different from his, "ZOMG, something is DIFFERENT" bark that used to be his only one.

Oh, and one thing that has changed:
He is a lot more ball driven now. Yey! :D

Maxy24

Tucker is mostly the same, but obviously lost some puppyness. He was afraid of strangers and still is. He has always loved to play, the only difference is he isn't a big chewer anymore with his toys. The biggest difference is that he used to love dogs but now wants them to die, that happened when he was 2. His energy level has gone down a bit which you expect when a puppy becomes an adult. He has also become much better behaved in the house, other than barking he's wonderful.

Members online

No members online now.