How much have you spent on training?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I don't want to know lol! But honestly, whatever large amount i've spent on trialling and training is worth it because Izzie and I both love it!

CaliTerp07

Honestly? Probably around $6000.

Agility classes are $185 per 7 week session, and there are 5 sessions per year. We've been doing agility for 3 years. Private lessons are $85/hour, and we do around 7-8 of those a year. Obedience was another $150. The behavior consult was $300. Herding lessons were $50 for a half hour (though we only did 3 or 4 of those).

Toller_08

To be honest, I have no idea. A lot, though. I'd guess close to or over a thousand dollars. Probably more. I can train most things on my own, but I love going to training classes, and I always end up learning something new and/or learning how to do something better. I haven't taken any classes in a year though because I can't find a trainer in my end of the city that 1) has classes that don't interfere with my work hours, and 2) trains for what I want. I'm thinking about taking them to a trainer that's like a 15min walk from my house though anyway. I like their methods, and it's close to home. The only thing is that they're pet dog trainers and that's not really something I need, which is why I haven't gone to any of their classes despite how close it is. It looks like they have a fear/reactivity class though that might be beneficial to Dance.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
So far $0. Once some stuff gets settled, I plan on trying Penny in agility and obedience. I would try her in herding but she is definitely not a herding Aussie, someone told her she was not suppose to herd and she listened lol
Her brother on the other hand, LOVES to herd Penny. I keep telling daddy he needs to get Bear into herding because he would love it.

Red.Apricot

$80, so far, and it hardly counts. I did a CGC class at petco. I was the only student, so basically I paid $80 to be allowed to train in petco for a couple hours a week without being asked to leave. :D

I'd like it to be more, but finding a class near me that uses methods I'm comfortable with for obedience has proved to be basically impossible. Most 'training schools' in the area don't have competitive obedience classes (just in-the-house obed) and the ones that do require a prong and no treats, which isn't how I roll. I'm going to be done with college in eight days, and I'll have more free time, so I'll hopefully be able to widen my net some.

Snark

Mutts to you
I just signed up for agility classes...again. I don't want to know how much it costs per year... More importantly, I don't want my sister to know (we pool our money and share expenses on everything). I don't complain when she wants to fly/drive out of state for fencing competitions and she doesn't complain about the dogs' classes.

Saeleofu

Not as much as you. Probably in the $500+ range for the two combined, since I only take "ring ready" classes like rally, conformation handling, etc. and most of those are $10 per class for drop-ins. Everything else I do myself, this time around I didn't even do any Rally drop-ins before the trial.

I really want to get at least Gavroche into an agility class though. I may not ever compete with him, but I know he enjoys it. If I'm not going to be spending money on entry fees for him I may as well put it into something else he enjoys.

I shudder at how much I've spent on trials and shows :yikes: In entry fees alone I spent $154 last weekend for 2 days, plus gas, hotel, food, self serve dog wash, car repairs, etc...

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
$600 on training classes. And all of that, except for one $150 class, was just for fun. I just like taking classes. If I had the extra money and a more predictable work schedule, I can think of a couple other classes I'd loooove to sign up for right now haha.

I'm more concerned about how much money I've wasted buying treats lol.

$105.00 for the first class so far, more than than on Toys and Training aides. Starting another class soon. The first was a puppy class, now we need intermediate and then advanced and then CGC and Therapy Dog Training.

adojrts

I am in the 'I don't want to know' club as well. Right now? about $250.00 in privates a month. Plus I do seminars, at least 2-4 a year and that can increase when I include the behavioral ones.

RD

Are you dead yet?
A few hundred for Eve, mostly for herding lessons. Hundreds more for Dakota who did agility. None for Dash, who missed out on puppy classes.

Moth

Mild and Slightly Nutty
More money than I care to think about :D

However we have had more than an equal amount of fun...and it will pay off if/when we do compete later in the game...

Money well spend!

MicksMom

$0.00!! I did it all myself. Hard work but I am enjoying it. I don't agree with a lot of trainers in my area (just the local PetSmart personel that have literally no idea what they are doing) so I decided to do it on my own and my dog knows all basic commands...
I did all that for basic obedience, too, but needed the classes to polish what I taught. Plus, it's fun getting out and being around other dog people on a regular basis. We have a lot of very good trainers within a half hour from us.

M

mutts

I wouldnt mind taking her to some sort of class for the socialization but that would literally be the only reason. No we don't compete at all so I have no need for such things although I have been curious about flyball and frisbee.
My husband and I walk by the trainers working at PetSmart and hes like-- that's such a joke, they should be paying you to do it lol.
I've actually taken on a few peoples dogs locally and worked them a bit free of charge for fun. I enjoy the challenge!

mrose_s

BusterLove
Probably about a thousand on Quinn.

$100 puppy class.
$100 Manners Class
$200 odd on agility
$400 on the only seminar we've made it to so far.
$300 odd on herding
$150 0n our first bit of Training in drive which I've been too caught up to even start.

Ergh, don't even want to think about it.

Saeleofu

I did all that for basic obedience, too, but needed the classes to polish what I taught. Plus, it's fun getting out and being around other dog people on a regular basis.
Definitely this. I'm perfectly capable of teaching my dogs everything they need to know for rally, and have taught others as well. But it's fun yo go and run a course that you did not design, get input from people that can actually see you working your dog and what bad habits you have that you might not be aware of, what your dog may be doing when you're not looking, etc. And although I don't usually join them, our training group usually has dinner together every so often especially before heading home from an out-of-town trial. It's fun to hang out with dog people at trials, when you'r waiting for your class or between classes. It's not just about training the dog, it's so much more than that.

BostonBanker

I so don't want to know. Meg was in agility class weekly for about six years; I just recently pulled her out. I love the class, I love the people, it is my favorite part of the week. But she doesn't always want to run, and at this point in her career - she's not getting much out of it. Hopefully Gusto will be ready to join that class this summer. I love his class as well (he's been in weekly pretty much since I got him).

I'm such a geek, some nights I go hang out at Meg's class even though she isn't in it anymore :cool:

SaraB

I'm another that doesn't even want to know. Luckily, working at a training center pays off as I can't even imagine how much I would be spending if I had to pay for classes.

Classic has been in agility classes since 6 months old, so that's two years straight right there. Right now he's in one agility class and one rally class.

Zuma wouldn't be that much really, a couple seminars here and there (that I do pay for) but I've trained her mostly myself so I would've just had to pay for ring time and the random private session.

Members online

No members online now.