The truth about pit bulls

Friskycatz

Quote groch:point is, if you do not think that Pit Bulls are different in terms of aggression, strength, forcefulness and stamina from other breeds then you are not knowledgeable about the breed.

First of all i know they are diffrent in response to stamina and forcefulness and yes indeed aggression, but not to humans but to other animals, they DO have a high prey drive, but does that make them vicious monsters? NO. It is all in how you raise them, while you may not be able to train them to say, not chase a cat or show aggression to another dog, does not mean they are aggressive to humans. Again, it is what they are taught mostly, to whether they will attack etc. And i have learned quite a bit about the breed being i own a bully breed myself, but then again, I would never allow my dog off leash or around unknown dogs for that point, aggression can happen, but think about it, any dog could be aggressive to another dog, not just a bully breed. Although bullys do tend to have that animal prey drive, just like those horror strories about children getting hurt, i have to ask myself, where were the parents? I for one would NEVER leave my child unattended with any dog, i have the most loving docile chocolate lab as well, would i leave him alone with my kids, not for a minute.Does that mean i don';t trust him? NO. I do trust him, but you never know what can happen in the next minute.

Boemy

And i have learned quite a bit about the breed being i own a bully breed myself, but then again, I would never allow my dog off leash or around unknown dogs for that point, aggression can happen, but think about it, any dog could be aggressive to another dog, not just a bully breed.
Dog breeds exhibit the traits they were bred for. Border collies were bred to herd, dalmations were bred for great stamina as they ran alongside carriages, pit bulls were bred to fight other dogs to the death. Yes, you will find exceptions, dog-friendly pit bulls. Nevertheless, just as someone getting a border collie should assume that it will have an intense need to work and someone getting a dalmation should assume it will need tons of exercise, someone getting a pit bull should assume it is going to be unsafe to leave it around other dogs.

They are nice dogs, with the right owners. But they require a higher degree of responsibility than most breeds due to their heritage.

If anybody in Oklahoma wants to meet a well-bred, decently-managed APBT, we'll be trying not to embarass ourselves too greatly at the agility trial in Norman on the 17th-18th. :)

Friskycatz

They were not bred to fight dogs, it amazes me at the ignorance of this breed, they were actually bred to hunt and kill hog. Not kill other dogs if you really want to go back into the history of it. I would suggest digging a little further into your history books.;)

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
I am tired of it today... so I will share my truth about my little AmStaff in two pics I took yesterday.

Cuddle session before work...

After running along the beach..

Vicious, eh?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If anybody in Oklahoma wants to meet a well-bred, decently-managed APBT, we'll be trying not to embarass ourselves too greatly at the agility trial in Norman on the 17th-18th. :)
Ooh, good luck! if I was home, I'd definitely go. But alas, college is in the way.

Friskycatz

Jules, i just love those pics, may i see more? I would love to see more pics of that pup, he's adorable!

pitbullpony

BSL Can Be Beaten
I've owned the breed, was secretary of a responsible pit bull owner's club, was in contact with "dogmen", have read the history books before I sold them on ebay; none of them had the SBT, the APBT, or the Amstaff "hunting hogs" as their primary reason for existence.

They or their progenitors; were bull-baiters (fighting bulls in arenas), bear-baiters, ratters and dog-fighters. "Hog-catching" seems to be the forte of the American bulldog and other molosser breeds that have wild boar in their native land.

APBT aren't considered "pack" dogs like Ambulls or Dogos (dogs that truly were bred for hog catching), so I don't know too many gamebred lines that would be ultimately successful at the sport.
APBT - bred for dog dominance or aggression (take your pick which word you'd like to use; most g.p. don't understand either very well) bred away from people dominance or aggression.

Google; history of the APBT - none of the first 10 sites; many reliable, even-handed, responsible sites mention their original use as a catch dog.

Google; boar dogs - the general consensus is the APBT will do the work; but the DOG AGGRESSION must be bred out - hunters want lines that can work in packs. If you search for people using APBT as hog dogs or boar hunting dogs; they seem to use the APBT as a cross into a line to provide tenacity, Ambulls are the bull breed most often mentioned. For wild/unruly cattle the ACD and the Ambull are mentioned.

They were not bred to fight dogs, it amazes me at the ignorance of this breed, they were actually bred to hunt and kill hog. Not kill other dogs if you really want to go back into the history of it. I would suggest digging a little further into your history books.;)
I do not have any ignorence for the breed at all. I love the breed and feel bad for how they are being treated as automic bombs waiting to go of to most people.
I have met and interacted with many pittbulls in differnt circumstances. From meeting friends pits to walking them at the local human society. Not once have I been afraid. And the only damage that i have been caused by a pit bullw as when i was playing with one at the humane society. I was sitting onthe ground and called the dog to me. He ran slipped and fell in to me, causing me to bite my lip lol

This breed is close to 2000 years old. The were breed for fighting and power then used as fighting dogs, then used as dogs to chase bulls. Fighting was made illegale in the early 1800's.

The problem now is people keep fighting them, and breeding the best fighters to make a more dangerous dog. These dogs were breed to be good with people. They were breed to be great "family" pets and protecters. They are a great breed but int he wrong hands can be a big problem. which is where we are today.

Ooh, good luck! if I was home, I'd definitely go. But alas, college is in the way.
Thank you! I'm trying not to be petrified, just excited. I'm sure that once we've "popped the seal" on this whole agility trial biz, it'll be easier next time. :) Hopefully I'll have some video, or at least pics to share when its over.

chinchow

Fuzzy Pants
I've also never heard of APBT's being used as catch dogs in their history. That's definitely a pack sport, hogs are generally much too dangerous to be caught with one dog.

APBT's are VERSATILE (I've seen them used in herding, therapy, S&R, service work, education in schools, crossed into sled dog lines, etc etc), but as far as their history goes, it's not hard to find out what they were bred for. But that is fairly irrelevent now. It is not that difficult to keep a dog aggressive dog. Many many people do it and never have problems that result in any other dog being harmed. Those that do have serious problems should not have owned the dog in the first place, 9 times out of ten, and probably shouldn't own anymore.

Hog catching wasn't really a popular bloodsport with these smaller dogs when these fighting breeds were created. But the breeds filled the bloodsport niches, and the APBT just happened to fill one of the more gruesome and saddening ones, though not to say bull/bear baiting aren't horrible and wrong either.

Members online

No members online now.