Wheezing after surgery?

JacksonsMom

So, Jackson had a dental on Monday.

He's been doing this wheezing sound on and off ever since. It's not like constant, but every few hours or so, he wheezes for about 30 seconds, like he's having trouble breathing, or allergies or something weird?

I know they said it was normal to have some coughing from the tube down their throat, but almost 5 days later?

My other thought was kennel cough but it doesn't really sound like it. But here's the thing, he had pre-op bloodwork on March 29th and was going to have the dental that Tuesday on April 2nd. BUT they tell me 'oh we didn't realize he didn't have his bordatella UTD' and usually they said it wouldn't be an issue, they could just keep him in their 'quarantined' room, but since it was Easter time, their kennels were all booked up or something. So they gave him the bordatella vaccine (which I didn't really want to do, ugh). Then they were like 'oh, it takes 10 days to kick in, so you can't do the dental this Tuesday'. Long story short... I was away the following week, etc, and dental ended up being this past Monday the 15th. (I know this makes it sound like a super incompetent vets office, but they really are actually really good, lol)

I know some dogs actually GET KC or whatever from the vaccine... but it would it have taken that long to kick in?

Or, do you think it's still just irritation from the tube? It's jut weird though because it's not a hacking, or a gag, or a cough, it's a WHEEZE.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Is it different to a 'reverse sneeze'?

This can be caused by irritation. Its a strange noise.

JacksonsMom

Is it different to a 'reverse sneeze'?

This can be caused by irritation. Its a strange noise.
Yeah, it definitely doesn't sound like reverse sneezing. My dads dog does this often.

The only reason I don't think it's allergies is because it started right after the dental procedure, so it just seems to be related.

Maxy24

My cat had a cough for a solid 2 weeks after his neuter, we assumed from the tube. But wheezing would concern me because he could be having trouble breathing. Does anything trigger it?

thehoundgirl

I wouldn't think he would still be wheezing from the breathing tube? I would get him checked out if it doesn't get better soon.

DJEtzel

Sounds to me more like a reaction to the vaccine/minor KC...

I'd just boost some vit. c and see where it's at in a few days... if it gets much worse or he gets lethargic, I'd take him in for an exam/antibiotics.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
It doesn't have to be KC from the vaccine... They can still get KC when they are vaccinated. Sounds like minor KC to me.

The second time rosey went to the groomers, she came back with KC and was vaccinated too. (Was vaccinated that one time for boarding specifically).

Grab

I've not heard a lot of wheezing with kennel cough. But it is true that, since the vaccine only covers a few strains, dogs can still get it when they're vaccinated.

milos_mommy

I meant to respond to this the other day - my first though was irritation from the tube - this seems to be especially common in smaller dogs and can last for a pretty long time (2+ weeks doesn't seem too long).

However, it's hard to tell without hearing the sound, and if you think he's at risk for kennel cough (especially if you took him around a lot of other dogs while the vaccination lapsed), it's worth getting it looked at. I think what I would do is wait a day or so, and if it got worse or didn't seem to improve, call the vet.

JacksonsMom

He's been better! I haven't heard him do the wheezing since yesterday AM. *fingers crossed*

I'm so pissed I let them do the bordatella - ugh. I know better. NEVER again. I'm not even sure it had anything to do with it but still mad I let them do it.

I mean, I'm not too worried about it, since he's not vaccinated for anything else anymore since he was 1 (except I have to do rabies this year) but yeah... so mad because he's gotten KC before right after getting the instranasal bordatella too. UGH. But what irritates me is since he didn't have the surgery until April 15 anyway, the bordatella vaccine was useless.... because clearly, it's no longer Easter and so they wouldn't be over-booked and he could've stayed in the other room. I just was kinda put in an awkward position and had an 'uhhh... okay, go ahead' moment when put on the spot. And usually this vet is awesome about not pushing me into anything.

No more bordatella for him though ever. I won't be doing any more DHP either at this point, I'm pretty certain.

Well, I had a dilemma last year about getting the shot since there is a canine fitness center closeby where he could go swimming but they required it, and I ended up saying it wasn't worth doing the vaccine for. Since he's had it now, I'll take advantage I guess this year and utilize it a few times haha.

Members online

No members online now.