Weirdest Breed Guesses?

Most guesses I get are pretty reasonable - the common ones are Greyhound, Italian Greyhound, Saluki, Borzoi. But according to some people...

This is a Dalmatian:

This is a Weimeraner (or a Papillon):

And this is a Doberman:

It's usually Doodle. Almost always..."what a pretty doodle!".

The following conversation ensued at the IGA (grocery store) a block away though tonight:

Cashier: "Do you have a big white dog?"

Me: "Yes I do actually..." *trying to find my cash and debit card*

Cashier: "He's so pretty! is he a chihuahua? or a corgi??"

That was a first....

But I've gotten Pomeranian, Akita, GSD mix, and "artic toller" before.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Anteater. They were dead serious. Like really. So I explained that they were endangered Giant Angaraland Anteaters and that I was out socializing them so they wouldn't be as anxious in captivity and we'd have more success breeding them.

Pony. Dead serious on that one too, they didn't believe it was a dog even when I pulled back to show his teeth.

Magical Narnian Llama-thing. This is a pretty close guess to be honest.

Ridgeback. Sounds really off, but for someone who'd never seen one it kind of makes sense. They're groomed so the hair on the back points backwards. He was really sad when I corrected him but seemed to feel better when I told him that it was a good guess, because of the hair.

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
I did have someone ask me once how I got my cat to walk on a leash.

Willow is often confused with a pit.

Otherwise the mosst common confusion is either calling the papillons - poms or chihs.

mrose_s

BusterLove

8 by Buster-Quinn, on Flickr

This is usually a "Kelpie and what else?"
Also a
Sheltie mix
Koolie mix
Husky (understandable - I have even yelled "STOP LOOKING LIKE A HUSKY!" at her before)

Probably the weirdest... "has she got any Basenji in her?" from a sheepdog trialer... who had a smooth BC.

MicksMom

The best was when somebody told me how cute my chihuahua/terrier mix is. This was the animal in question:
:lol-sign: We had someone ask what kind of dog our Nubian goat was once. Oh, did I mention he had pretty good sized horns?

You'd think everyone knows what a Lab looks like, right? Well, according to a kid we met at a festival once, Caleb is a pitbull.

OMG, I'm DYING @ the ferret. :rofl1:
I am too! :rofl1:

And this is a Doberman:
And then my mother asked me this morning "What's that herding dog looking puppy in your class?" I thought she meant the scared GSD mix, no "the whippet looking one", yep, :doh:.

And yes, we get "Dobie mix" and even "German shepherd" all the time, but 3 times, in one day, at the same Petsmart, 3 different people ASSUMED Enda was a Labrador, and even so recently at a trip to the TSC store someone again thought she was a Lab...cause this is so a Lab right?

Goofy dog by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

And this is a Yorkie, or a "mini Collie"

Stumpy man, posing on a stump by ~WelshStump~, on Flickr

(shocking the only two wrong guesses he's ever had)

Flyinsbt

:lol-sign: We had someone ask what kind of dog our Nubian goat was once. Oh, did I mention he had pretty good sized horns?

You'd think everyone knows what a Lab looks like, right? Well, according to a kid we met at a festival once, Caleb is a pitbull.
Someone with Ibizans once told me that her dogs were commonly mistaken for goats.

When I was walking Tully once, someone down the street called out to me "is that a Rottweiler, or a Beagle?" I told them she was a pit bull. Which she isn't, but I figured if they didn't know the difference between Rottweiler and a Beagle, the difference between a pit bull and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier would break their brain.

CatStina

SBT Lover!!
So many great ones! I always think it's funny when people guess really specific or rare breeds because you'd think that means that they are familiar with the breed... I also love when people state what breed your dog is instead of asking, I get that ALL THE TIME! "Nice Pit!" "Pit Bull, huh?" "He's small for a Pit Bull." "How big will he get when he's full grown? He's half the size of my Pit!" Or just the all to common, "They get such a bad rap, but Pit Bulls are great dogs if you train 'em right." Sometimes, if I'm tired, I don't even correct people... Keep them coming! These are hilarious!

For a while I had a bunch of people asking if Buster was a dingo. Is he slightly dingo in shape? Sure, like most of the herding breeds are.

I wouldn't even bother with the Staffy vs Pit. Its like someone calling Ruby a retriever. Close enough! thanks for not asking if she is part kangaroo (she is though).

Saeleofu

Chihuahua for Gavroche (boxer).

Probably Great Dane for Logan (smooth collie).

I was at Woofstock last weekend and was told by the lady at the local dog training club booth "There aren't just purebreds in the club, there are a lot of mixes, so you would feel at home with your dog." Um, WAT? Sorry, Logan IS purebred. And being head of a dog-related club, you really ought to know that - or at least not ASSUME my pure-bred, well-bred, AKC and UKC pointed collie is a mix.

Gavroche usually gets called a pitbull and Logan usually gets called a GSD. If they ASK, I'll educate them. If the just walk by and tell whoever they're with what breed my dog is, I just laugh to myself and call them stupid in my head at this point ;) If they're standing RIGHT NEXT TO ME when they do this, I say "Nope, he's a collie" or "Nope, he's a boxer" and walk away.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
PDub, your wish is my command. ;)
I wouldn't even bother with the Staffy vs Pit. Its like someone calling Ruby a retriever. Close enough! thanks for not asking if she is part kangaroo (she is though).
I kind of agree. On one hand, it's important to try to educate that not every bulldog is a "pit bull," but on the other hand, they are very closely related, and APBTs differ so much in appearance, I would actually be shocked if someone random could tell the difference between staffies and APBTs. I only can because I've made it a point to examine the differences, and even then I'm sometimes wrong. Then you get into the part that APBTs can be dual registered and it gets even murkier.

Toller_08

I get a lot of guesses but the strangest ones were when somebody was looking at Ripley and Keira side by side, knew that Keira was a Doberman, but thought Ripley was a chocolate Lab. And Dance has had "red nosed Pit Bull" a few times now. Somebody recently also thought she was a Papillon, haha.

Other than that, other guesses are fairly typical of what one would expect. :)

Jenne

Ball Thrower
People are always guessing Chase is a german short-haired pointer. I can see it, kind of due to the color, but he's a merle not a roan, and he's way too small and fluffy.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
People are always guessing Chase is a german short-haired pointer. I can see it, kind of due to the color, but he's a merle not a roan, and he's way too small and fluffy.

Holy crap! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your dog outside of your avatar. Holy adorableness batman!

This may be a dumb question, but what is he? :eek:

He looks very Aussie in your avatar but the whole body makes him look almost sport breedish?

SoCrafty

Pretty!!! - Merle Cocker?

And how does someone confuse a ferret with a dog? Or a Collie with a German Shepherd?

I don't think I've ever gotten any really ridiculous guesses. I get a lot of "what.... IS that?" way more than actual guesses.

Squash is the one people usually guess at... usually pit, American bulldog, or Dogo. None of which are totally outrageous, I guess, although he's a bit tall for a pit mix.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
:rofl1: In it's winter coat LOL.

Sienna is a fox, according to most children. The other day someone guessed Toller/Pom mix. I guess I can kinda see that, but she's not really the same color or build as a Toller.

The people calling Corgis, Yorkies - they HAVE to be just mispronouncing it, no??

Jenne

Ball Thrower
Holy crap! I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your dog outside of your avatar. Holy adorableness batman!

This may be a dumb question, but what is he? :eek:

He looks very Aussie in your avatar but the whole body makes him look almost sport breedish?
He's a cocker spaniel (dad)/springer spaniel (mom) mix. Here are two threads with his pics. I have some more recent ones, but I've been too lazy to post.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169912

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174347

My photobucket is here: http://s1056.photobucket.com/albums/t378/ChasingLoki/

Members online