How to find a mate for my dog (Husky)

meowzz

I am searching for a mate for my dog, but i dont know how to....go by.
do ppl find mate for their dog?.....

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
have you had a litter before..and why are you wanting to breed your dog?

BagelDog

Not crazy...
You don't need to breed yours dogs. Think puppies are cute at shelters? What about dead puppies? Still cute?

BagelDog

Not crazy...
There are already enough puppies at shelter and having the be put down. You really dont need to add.

bubbatd

Please heed the above posts. It's a long expensive process . If you have specific causes to pursue this, please list them for us so we can advise you through each one.Do you have a male or a female ?? Age ?? Certifications ?? etc etc.

moe

Before you try to find a mate for your dog there are a few things that you should consider, (1) is your dog worth breeding off? has it been assessed by judges at championship level and consistantly been placed? (2) have you had all relevant medical checks done ie.eyes hips thyroid etc and did it pass? (3) are you trying to breed for the better of the breed? (4) are you prepared to have the puppies returned to you should the new owners not be able to cope with a husky.if you answered yes to the first then you would have been in the presence of many other husky owners who you could have discussed this with, so by asking on here this indicates that you have not been showing your dog successfully and therfore not met these people. If you answered no to number 2 then you should not attempt to breed til these have been done. if you answered yes to number three then you are misleading yourself as you dont know you are breeding for the better of the breed as you do not know if your dog would contribute to the breed as it has not been assessed by experts in the showring. If you answered no to number 4 then you should not breed, rescues are overloaded with huskies that have been abandond. There are thousands of huskies about now they are not a rareity as they once was, to contribute to these overstretched rescues is irrisponsible.

Mo

Saje

Island dweller
What do you mean by mate? I'm getting my dogs a girlfriend (maybe) but they are all fixed. :D But if you are thinking about breeding I hope you have thought it through.

Love4Pits

Playful Husky Pup
I am a Dog breeder of Siberian Huskies and Chins. And to tell you the truth is is an expensive lifestyle. I only breed two dogs a year and sometimes only one and also one ***** is only bred 3 times in her life time. All of my pups have homes before their even conceived and born and a contract stating i MUST have contact with the pups new family through out atleast the first year of life so if there are any problems i can help. My contract also stats that once of age the pups must be spayed and or neutered and the documents proving so must be supplied to me or i will confinscate the pup and have it fixed myself or if theres a problem I will refund their money spent on there pup. Also each and every pup i sell if not doing well with their new family must be returned to me and not a shelter or family friend.

When the breeding is down I first off have the ***** and dog vet checked to make sure hips and other possible pyhisical problems are in check. If either not has so much as a small problem or is'nt perfect it is'nt bred and is spayed or neutered right there or asap. This is expensive and a seriouse thing. When the ***** is in eat i breed them 4 times through her heat cycle the breeding dogs are not left alone for one minute one second nope nada. Once her heat cycle is finnished the ***** is tested and sonogramed to see if breeding is successful (this is expensive as well).

If it is confirmed the ***** is pregnant there are constant check ups and special diet the pregnant dog goes on. During this time im putting the welping bed together with a heating lamp and doggy first aid and lots of towls on hand. When it comes time for the pups i ALWAYS have someone stay with me so i am not alone if there is a problem i also have the vets number on hand and am about 20 minutes from the vet. When puppies are born you have to be prepared for the worst for example still borns, physically handicapped pups, green pups, and a dieing mum. I havent had any of this happen to me yet but have seen it happen in the past and its not pleasent.

Also be prepared for mum maybe to not accept the pups (or if mum passes on) you will be hand raising these pups are ready for that? I responsible breeder will also social with the pups and take them for their first shots and used to eating healthy foods. This all costs tons of money.

In all the money you make from selling the pups will not make up for all the money you put into it if you do it responsibly.

Don't do it you don't sound in anyway prepared for this. PLease leave it to the professionals and responsible breeders like myself. We have the time, money, and facilities to do it right.

Please please rethink this.

bubbatd

Love4Pits....I did the same...except had a box ready with a heating pad to put the pups in as other were being whelped. I always lined the whelping box with a quilt so that both the Mom and puppy had traction. What a wet gookie mess this would be !!! It was always such a good feeling when all was over...and Mom and babies were all snuggled in a nice clean warm bed. ( 4 hrs to 12 hours later)

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
I have a question for breeders (Love4Pits) anyone else . . .

This is just out of curiosity . . .

But if I were to become a breeder some day and I wanted to have a batch of good dogs with good temperament and basically good blood lines, where do you go and get the male and female to breed? Do you buy them from a kennel? Or what?

And what is "heat cycle" and such terms. Is it during their pregnancy or what? If you could leave me some terms, that would be great.

This is just for curiosity's sake. It's something I really want to know about.

Thanks. :)

pitbulliest

You would get a dog from a very good breeder that's shown on many occassions and WON...the best of the best......sounds anal but the only reason anyone should be breeding is for the betterment of the breed....and anything below the best of the best just isn't good enough..there are TONS of great dogs out there that need homes...mutts..."left overs" if you will...why breed unless you're doing the entire breed a big favor? And even breeders participate in rescue groups and do their part because they know they have to balance it all out..

But anyways..that was really directed towards everyone..not just you in general lol hope that helps?

bubbatd

I agree....there's no need to breed except for the betterment of each particular breed. I breed to extend my Golden line and for temperment/health/etc. That was 40 years ago. I usually had at least 6 on the waiting list and I only had a litter every 2 or 3 years. FYI ....the heat cycle is their "period"...they only time they will or can mate. Each cycle lasts about 3 weeks...with fertility anywhere from 10 to 17 days. This is the only time a female will accept the male. The "tie" is when they mate and are actually attached for 5 to 10 minutes. During this time they have to be watched, turned etc. so that neither gets hurt. The "whelp" is when the female delivers. The Mom nurses for 3 to 4 weeks and during this time eats all of the pups stools. As she weans them and you supply puppy food, she leaves the clean up to you....4 poops a day each....10 pups = 40 poops. Those who are not "good" breeders, leave this mess and pups don't learn early on how to be clean. It a long hard job....leave it to a pro. TMI ??

Hugs to our BigDoggyDaddy! Always so curious and wanting to learn - to know something just to have more knowledge!

I believe if ever anyone could someday be a conscientious and totally responsible breeder he's the one!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
It would be best to go to the shows and watch and talk to the breeders that u admire most..i have yet to meet anydog person who wasn't willing to talk about their dogs! learn from the best!

bubbatd

Another suggestion. If you really want to persue this some day, and have a specific breed in mind...get a copy of their AKC National Magazine .....It will have class breeders , winners , articles , with a lot of pictures to see the type you like. This way you can contact certain breeders . I agree, the more you learn, the better breeder you would/will be. Also buy the book "How to raise a puppy you can live with"...there's a section on why or why not to breed.

At one point in my life, I had hoped one day to be able to breed German Shepherds and get back to the old fashioned Shepherds - back when they were 60-75 pound dogs, sound of limb and temperament, no sloping hindquarters, good skin, good working instincts . . .

bubbatd

If you do. let me know!! I love the old ones..the first do I remember was a GS/Wolf mix my parents bought near the Yukon in 1929. I still remember being in a carriage at about 3 watching my mother going up winding starts to a bakery while Perro stood guard. The only reason I didn't go for the bread is that in the 50s they were getting a bad name and I didn't want to take chances as we wanted children....thus Golden retrievers.

In the mid '70s the best place to find a German Shepherd was to find a farmer who had been raising his own dogs. Those old farmers knew good stock when they had it! That's where my first one, Purdue, came from, although none of us had any real knowledge of what we were doing, it was a complete accident. A wonderful accident, but completely by chance.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Thanks for the help everyone!

Yeah, you know, I'd consider it to start breeding GSD's or maybe . . . Rhodesian Ridgebacks . . . or Neapolitan Mastiffs (probably my next dog).

Hehe, just wanted to learn a little something. :D

Members online

No members online now.