Question about Bloat

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
I know it is not good to exercise a dog right after eating, but what about drinking? Can a dog get bloat from drinking a ton of water and then running around? When I play frisbee with Charlie he gets hot and tired and will go and drink and drink and drink and then he's right back to wanting more frisbee. It worries me.

RD

Are you dead yet?
I worry about that too. I wait for them to burp before they go back to running. The air trapped in their stomach concerns me a bit more than the water does.

All of my dogs are water guzzlers when they run and I've never had a problem, but it's something I'm curious about too.

Yes, gulping water can cause increased air intake, putting the dog at risk for bloating. The act of gulping (whether it be air, food, water, etc) is all the same.

After Hannah bloated, I wrote a very long article called "When It's Bloat" describing her ordeal, listing symptoms, risk factors and first aid for bloat. It's stickied in the Health Section.

This is something I've grown to know WAY more about than I ever wanted to. Owning the #1 breed for bloating for over 12 years has led to TONS of reading and researching.

Members online

No members online now.