Swedish Vallhunds?

pkg

Hi, this is my first time posting. :)

I wanted to know if anyone here has any firsthand experience with them, and if they could share their experiences. I am having a tough time finding information on them (book wise and internet--most information I've gathered from the ASVC and SVCA). :confused:

Thank you in advance for reading this!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Try joining the Swedish Vallhund yahoo group, and be prepared to wait if your looking for a puppy.

They're a great breed!

My cousin's good friend has a pup that is about 1 year old now. I helped her with basic training and mannerisms. Awesome little pup and a lot of fun, what is it that you would like to know?

pkg

Thank you for responding!

I applied to join the yahoo group, waiting for approval at the moment.
I am not looking to have a dog at this point in time but in the farther off future-anywhere from 1-3 years from now. Just getting as much information as I can before I make any decisions.

1. Are they companion dogs that could you could jog/exercise with on a daily basis?
2. Would they be a good breed for a first time dog owner, or should I look into a different breed?
3. How are they with shedding/molting?

Thanks again. :)

Not a problem, again my exposure to them is limited considering I have only worked with one puppy in person but I will try my best...

1. My friend is an avid jogger but being her pup is still young the distance is still rather short for the time being. As he matures more she will increase it and expects he will be able to do a decent length considering how far he can already go. In the apartment he is an awesome pup! Full of spunk but knows when it is time to slow down and chill out. Of course a major part of this is all the excercise he gets (along with the jogging she takes him for puppy play dates with close friends) and proper training.

2. She is a first-time dog owner. In the beginning the pup was a terror to her but this was only due to her not understanding how to properly raise a pup. With help (from me) and guidance she learned quickly and now the pup is a great joy to live with. Had things continued the way they were without my help I would imagine he would be rehomed by now. So yes it can be done but it would be smart to hire a trainer for at least beginner obedience to help you out on building the dog/owner relationship and how to deal with any behavioural issues that may arise.

3. Not sure, when I was with him he was still a young pup and had not blown his puppy coat at all.

Members online

No members online now.