Boston Terriers

Tbecker48

Hi everyone. I am picking up my Boston Terrier puppy on Monday. She will be 8 weeks on Friday. I was wondering if there was anyone on this forum who owns or has owned a Boston, who could give me some advise on their training and care. I have been reading about them on the internet and plan to get a book but figured first hand experience was best. Also I am debating on a name for her. Here is a list of names my family has come up with as possible names for her. Please let me know which is your favorite.

Bailey
Thea
Chloe
Ebony
Gigi
Liberty

Thanks much!! :)

Tammy & the gang

I like Chloe and Liberty - just remember you're going to end up calling her Libby most of the time if you go with Liberty - seems like two syllable call names tend to be the way it works.

Tbecker48

Thanks Renee, Liberty was my idea and my husband likes it but said he doesn't like Libby. Oh well...nicknames just end up happening sometimes and they usually stick. I like it.

joce

My friend has one and its a little nutt! It's yappy but I know there are other ones I have seen that seem perfectly normal. Hers has no manners but I don't think they ever really tried teaching down or off. I'd maybe like the dog if it was trained better. She got it from the amish people though which may be the reson also.
Her dogs name is zoe so it kind of makes chloe stick in my head for the name choice. And I want to see pics when you get it. They are the cutest puppies!

**I just noticed your the one form s. amherst. Have you seent he cute little brown and black ones that get walked around up town all the time? Those are the normal looking ones I'm talking about. I don't know if that brown is an acceptable color in them but I love how that dog looks!

Tbecker48

Hi Joce! No, I haven't seen them. I guess I better start being more observant when I drive down through town huh? I do plan on training mine some manners. I have a good friend who trains on the side so hopefully if I run into problems, he could give me some pointers. I've heard that Bostons can be hard to housebreak. :eek: I guess we'll see. I only work one day a week so I'll be able to spend a lot of time with her. As far as being yappy, I'm pretty used to that with my Chihuahua. Hopefully they don't try to have a barking competition!!

Thanks a lot for your input. I'm liking the name Chloe too. That and Liberty are my favorites.

I will definately post some pics of her when I get her home!! :D

I have a friend who has one and he's a sweetheart. So smart,loyal,friendly,funny..we love him. His name is Champ.

I also like Liberty (Libby), I'm partial to Chloe because thats my Corgis name. I also like Daphne.

Keep us posted.

Dena

Woodreaux

Roscoe's Buddy
Hi Tammy, I assume by this time you've already got your Boston Terrier. My best friend in California is my Boston Terrier, Roscoe. He's over 9 years old and still acts like a puppy. A very well behaved puppy.
I'm sure you'll have many happy years with your Boston Terrier!

Tbecker48

Hi Woodreaux! Yes I just posted a reply to your introduction post!! I'm so excited to see another Boston Terrier owner on the board. Libery (Libby) is just an absolute joy!! We're still working on housetraining. I think she's coming along. Did you have any problems with housetraining Roscoe? She is so playful. Her and my kids have a ball.

Thanks for posting. Hope to talk to you more.

tl_ashmore

Spoiled Rotten Dog
I had a boston terrier for about 3 years. My grandparents have her now. Her and my pit didn't get a long very well. Anyway, her name is Dixie. She is a wonderful dog. The only problem I had was the house training. No matter what I did, she would not use the bathroom in front of me. I could take her outside for an hour, and she wouldn't use the bathroom, but as soon as we went inside and I went in another room, she would go! Crazy huh? I guess she just didn't like anyone seeing her do her business. LOL!!! I know you will be happy with your new boston. They are lots of fun.

Tbecker48

Hi. I think I remember reading a couple of your posts about your Boston Terrier. I really LOVE the breed. I'm so excited to have one of my own now. Even my vet was thrilled when he saw her. He said you used to see them all the time and then not so much for awhile and now it seems they are making a come back. He said they are a wonderful family dog.

Libby is getting better with housetraining. I think I just forgot how much puppies pee and poop! :eek:

Thanks for the post. Hope to talk again soon.

Tammy

traskew

Love Bostons

We have a four year old Boston named Bailey!! (got her at 9 weeks) We adore her. She is a fantastic family dog! We honestly didn't have any problems housebreaking her, but we used crate training to help with that. She is a complete lap dog and has never met a person or animal she hasn't liked. She keeps us smiling all the time. And I agree with your vet, they seem to be making a comeback in popularity, I guess because they are in several commercials now!

Enjoy yours!

Tbecker48

Hi Traskew. I've noticed them in commercials recently too. But that's not why I started wanting one. I was looking at different breeds online. I wanted a fairly small dog who would be good with children and who was playful and affectionate. That's when I came across the Boston! After I found a breeder, I started seeing them on commercials. Kinda like when you buy a certain model car, suddenly you see them everywhere! My mom had to call me the other day to ask me if the dog in the flea commercial was the same breed as Liberty. Yep, sure is :)

Thanks for sharing about your Boston, hope to talk again soon,

Tammy

mrose_s

BusterLove
yeah, our dogs are
sophie
daisy
buster
but they do also respond to
sofe or sopheta
dais or woozy
buz or buzzy