Would you stop using your microwave?

Doberluv

Mmmm bacon. In all reality I think RTH has is just about right. As far as the microwave - I'm not really all that worried about it - I'm far more concerned about what qualifies as food suitable for human consumption and the toxic contamination of food sources by hormone and heavy metal tainted water.
Yes...and depleted soils in some areas...depleted of essential minerals such as selenium...very necessary to our systems.

ACooper

I was kind of wondering this as well. People pulverize veggies like that for their dogs. :confused:
The veggies I put in Orson's food are raw and I run them through the blender to pretty much liquefy them. I've read so many things stating raw veggies are better, then of course all the things about dogs digestion moving much faster so they don't absorb as much. I figure blended raw veggies gives him a head start on break down leaving more time for absorbtion??

If I found this information to be false, I'd definitely stop doing it because it does add more work to my process! LOL

Mmmm bacon. In all reality I think RTH has is just about right. As far as the microwave - I'm not really all that worried about it - I'm far more concerned about what qualifies as food suitable for human consumption and the toxic contamination of food sources by hormone and heavy metal tainted water.
one thing we never use anymore is plastic in a microwave. I don't give a **** what the container says it's safe for. Glass only in there.

I've often seen as proof the microwave is "bad" is the water plant trick.

I don't trust other people and have thought of doing it myself just to satisfy my own curiosity, but what they claim to have done is take tap water and heat in a microwave, heat on a stove and directly from the tap.

let it cool to room temp and then water plants. Usually beans because they grow fast and are easy to grow.

They always show the microwave watered plants look pretty sickly compared to the other plants.

But of course if they aren't letting the water cool enough or other things, that would all impact that. Anybody ever done it?

Anybody in high school that has to do a project for school and want to do it for me :) i'm lazy

Doberluv

I have no idea if all this is true and accurate, but thought some of it must be and it is scary.

Trace Minerals Story

What's happened to the soil?

For millions of years, every sprouting seed and towering tree has helped dissolve minerals, raising them from deep within the soil to the surface, where they are easily washed away. Farmers have complicated this problem through aggressive practices that drain soils of their nutrients without allowing enough time between growing seasons for the soil to renew itself. Add to this the many fertilizers and pesticides that bind trace minerals in the soil (which means fewer minerals are absorbed by the fruits and vegetables grown in that soil), and you end up with farmed food that is increasingly deficient in natural minerals.

The amount of major and trace minerals the body needs is small, but the import of these nutrients is huge. We've seen the farming industry resort to the constant use of fertilizers in attempts to provide plants with the nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, chlorine, carbon, boron, sulfur, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, iron, zinc, copper manganese, and molybdenum, they need. And in addition to what plants need, human health requires mineral nutrients such as calcium, sodium, fluorine, bromine, chromium, iodine, silicon, selenium, beryllium, lithium, cobalt, vanadium and nickel.1 As soils become more and more depleted, our reliance on those soils for minerals becomes more problematic.

Follow the minerals

As minerals leave the soil, they don't simply disappear; rather they are washed into the seas. As water cycles through from evaporation to precipitation, minerals are transported through rivers and streams and are collected in the seas. Trace Minerals Research realized over three decades ago that the rich mineral deposits in the Great Salt Lake (an inland sea) could provide a potent solution to soil-based mineral depletion. Since that time, TMR has innovated close to 80 products that deliver minerals in balanced, bioavailable formulations.

Keep it in balance
The human body is complex and requires nearly two thirds of all the elements currently known to man in order to maintain health, but the complexity doesn't end there. These minerals and nutrients must exist in balance (92 elements are found in nature, with hundreds of isotopes that may prove vital to human health). As more human health studies have been conducted, the relationship between a balanced ratio of minerals and health levels has grown increasingly evident.*2 Maintaining balance becomes complex because mineral nutrients are constantly used by bodily processes and must be renewed regularly through the diet. While most Americans take in plenty of calories, their mineral intake is drastically deficient. In fact, an estimated 90% of Americans suffer a mineral deficiency or imbalance.

The human health industry's approach to balance has not curtailed the problem. When a study has highlighted the importance of a particular mineral, the industry has responded by providing that single nutrient in isolation. However, the more studies that are done, the more we realize the inadequacies of this approach. Needless to say, our understanding of the mechanisms operating through mineral balance is fragmentary.*3 TMR resolves this issue by providing supplements with a full array of mineral nutrients in the same ratios found in nature, allowing the body access to the optimum amounts it needs in order to restore balance.

What salt tells us about balance

Consuming single or processed refined minerals can lead to imbalanced mineral interactions. For example, most Americans take a large amount of sodium chloride (table salt) into their systems, resulting in an imbalance with strong negative effects on blood pressure and heart health.

What do minerals do?
Consumed in proper ratios, minerals and trace minerals have a profound effect on human health: they transport life-giving oxygen to the body; aid in the assimilation of other nutrients; form building blocks such as amino acids, hormones, and proteins; and can even act as antioxidants. Basically your entire body—including your hair, nails, bones, blood and nerves—relies on major and trace minerals for its proper function.

Why ionic minerals?
Within the body, major and trace minerals are found in a liquid environment (the blood stream, lymphatic, cellular, and extracellular fluids). Minerals in liquid are in their electrolyte (or ionic) form.4 In this state, each mineral has a positive or negative electrical signature. These signatures coexist in dynamic equilibrium and use equilibrium fluctuations to help the body move nutrients to the areas that need them the most. The electrical signatures in ionic minerals are also inextricably linked with the electrical impulses that run the entire nervous system.*5 Needless to say, your body can't operate without minerals.

When harvested collectively, sea-based major and trace minerals have the same dynamic equilibrium as the body. In fact, sea water creates the same balance of liquid ionic signatures as healthy blood plasma and lymphatic fluid.*

Why a desert sea?

In a few surviving inland seas, such as the Great Salt Lake of western North America, these essential elements exist in highly-concentrated, salubrious proportions. Much of the Great Salt Lake has evaporated, leaving a particularly rich harvest of minerals and trace minerals like magnesium, selenium, lithium, and boron.

While the Great Salt Lake is rich in minerals, its total soluble concentrations of toxic heavy metals are extremely low. According to the Utah Geological and Mineral Survey, "The heavy metals in the lake, along with clays, organic materials and carbonates, are precipitating to the sediments and deep brines, which immobilize the metals. The lake thus avoids accumulation of heavy metals in the lake waters and is non-toxic and self-cleansing."*6 By sourcing products from the Great Salt Lake, TRM provides access to concentrated minerals free from toxic metal contamination.

This story's end is only the beginning
Trace Minerals Research has been harvesting the major and trace minerals of the Great Salt Lake for more than 35 years. In that time, we've formulated nearly 80 products that all contain these health-promoting elements. These products pair minerals with other vital nutrients because the minerals prepare the body to absorb those additional nutrients more easily. As a result, TMR formulations ensure that you get the most out of every supplement you take. This is why we can guarantee that, when you balance a diet deficient in minerals with TMR products, you'll soon feel the difference.
Schauss, A.G. Keynote lecture, Texas Conference on Nutrition and Behavior, University of Texas at Austin, October 28, 1982; and Schauss, A G. Nutrition and Behavior. Journal of Applied Nutrition, 1983; 35:30−43.
Schauss, Alexander. Minerals and Human Health: The Rationale for Optimal and Balanced Trace Element Levels. Life Sciences Press: 1995, pp. 1, 5.
Hoekstra, W.G. Federation Proceedings. National Academy of Sciences: Washington D.C. (Sept./ Oct., 1964).
American Medical Association. The American Medical Associations Encyclopedia of Medicine. Ed. Charles B. Clayman. Random House: 1989, pp. 396, 605, 752.
Nielson, Mark T. Ions: The Body's Electrical Energy Source. 1993, p. 3.
Utah Geological and Mineral Survey. Bulletin II 6., University of Utah: 1980, p. 198.
http://www.traceminerals.com/trace-minerals

Kat09Tails

*Now with Snark*
They always show the microwave watered plants look pretty sickly compared to the other plants.
*shrugs* I take it as more of a function of plant biology than how healthy water heating methods are. For instance if you take tap water from most cities and gutter water and water plants side by side the gutter water plants will do better. It doesn't mean gutter water is better for people - it just means plants do better with gutter water compared to treated city water.

How plants absorb nutrients and water is biologically a pretty complicated activity. It has little to nothing to do with how well people do on the same. Have you seen the pictures at Chernobyl? Plants apparently LOVE nuclear radiation... animals... not so much.

*shrugs* I take it as more of a function of plant biology than how healthy water heating methods are. For instance if you take tap water from most cities and gutter water and water plants side by side the gutter water plants will do better. It doesn't mean gutter water is better for people - it just means plants do better with gutter water compared to treated city water.

How plants absorb nutrients and water is biologically a pretty complicated activity. It has little to nothing to do with how well people do on the same. Have you seen the pictures at Chernobyl? Plants apparently LOVE nuclear radiation... animals... not so much.
i'm not saying it's true, it's just what i've read.

But that's different than gutter water compared to tap water.

These were supposedly ALL watered with tap water from the same tap. Or at least to have a decent "study" they should have been.

Then some was microwaved, some was heated on a stove top and some was just left in a container and all were left to sit to cool to room temp, then used to water the plants.

if it is indeed a valid study and the results are reproduceable, then it kind of puts a few wholes in the "microwaves don't alter anything" they just cause friction and thus heating, claim. I don't care if I process nutrients like a plant or not.

I'd like to know if the little experiment is valid and can be duplicated, and if so, what the **** is a microwave doing to water that it's stunting plant growth?

my initial thoughts are they just didn't wait for the water to cool to room temp like claimed, that's why i'd like to know if anyone has seen it or done it, or would like to do it. I don't use a microwave enough to care really

one thing we never use anymore is plastic in a microwave. I don't give a **** what the container says it's safe for. Glass only in there.

I've often seen as proof the microwave is "bad" is the water plant trick.

I don't trust other people and have thought of doing it myself just to satisfy my own curiosity, but what they claim to have done is take tap water and heat in a microwave, heat on a stove and directly from the tap.

let it cool to room temp and then water plants. Usually beans because they grow fast and are easy to grow.

But of course if they aren't letting the water cool enough or other things, that would all impact that. Anybody ever done it?

Anybody in high school that has to do a project for school and want to do it for me :) i'm lazy
I've not done it, but I won't drink tea or coffee made with water heated in the microwave. It tastes funky.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
I will stop using my microwave when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!

I luv my microwave, I dont "use" it to cook, but I do use it very often for reheating, it just makes more sense than heating up my whole apartment with the stove for one tiny plate of leftovers..

ACooper

I've not done it, but I won't drink tea or coffee made with water heated in the microwave. It tastes funky.
And I do believe we've had a tea kettle discussion due to that fact! LOL

I <3 my old whistling tea kettle :D

Doberluv

I will stop using my microwave when they pry it from my cold dead hands!!

I luv my microwave, I dont "use" it to cook, but I do use it very often for reheating, it just makes more sense than heating up my whole apartment with the stove for one tiny plate of leftovers..
Yep...it sure makes doing the dishes easy. I always wash my pots and pans by hand, not in the dishwasher, so it does save on that when re-heating. I know some things aren't so good re-heated, but some work out just fine for me.

jess2416

Who woulda thought
Yep...it sure makes doing the dishes easy. I always wash my pots and pans by hand, not in the dishwasher, so it does save on that when re-heating. I know some things aren't so good re-heated, but some work out just fine for me.
The only "dishwasher" I have is lefty and righty lol, yeah I agree some things are better reheated while other things are better left cold..

personally, a lot of italian dishes IMO tastes better eaten the next day after they are cooked and cold

Romy

Taxiderpy
That's why you need cast iron. Just wipe out the debris, and tada! All clean.

That's why you need cast iron. Just wipe out the debris, and tada! All clean.
I have to wash mine really well with hot water. I don't use soap but I can't just let all that grease from meat and stuff sit there. I don't want that transferred to my other food. I actually hate washing the cast iron skillet the most cause it's heavy and cumbersome and I can just stick my other pots in the dishwasher.

Doberluv

Cast iron pans run the risk of flaring up my tendonitis in my wrists, so I don't use them. I know...you're not suppose to really wash them, but I would anyhow. I just couldn't put them away in my cupboard without using hot, soapy water. I use to use them a long time ago. I'd just rub in a little clean cooking oil in them with a paper towel to keep them nice. But I just use stainless steel ones now. They're nice enough and not so heavy.

ravennr

ಥ⌣ಥ
Ours committed suicide a few months ago, and before we had it, we didn't own one for a year, so I'm fine without a microwave.

Members online

No members online now.