any guesses what this might be?

about a month ago tess started to lose hair, it turned kind of an orange-ish brown color, broke off and/or fell out(basically died) and is contunuing to spread all over the top of her back. symptoms that sound alot like demodex mange, also some discoloration of the skin, it also looks kind of scaly and really really flaky, i took her to the vet last week, skin scrapings were negative, did a bunch of blood tests, thyroid, kidneys, liver etc... all completely normal, other than looking gross she seems perfectly healthy, good weight, active, happy, and not really all that itchy or bothered by her condition. about 2 weeks before this all started tess (we believe) got poisoned, i suspect it was the pesticides/herbicides that they were spraying along the railroad tracks next to my house (they did the spraying the same day she got sick) she was fine all day, playing out in the yard with us, about an hour later she was on the kitchen floor, couldnt walk or stand, eyes rolling back and having almost seizure like symptoms, took her to the vet right away, he thought maybe eclampsia at first (she had 3.5 weeks old pups at the time), but again all tests were completely normal, he put her on iv fluids and she fully recovered in about 2 days, i'm almost wondering if she got some direct spray (wind?) of that herbicide:confused: we cant figure it out... any ideas what it might be or anybody had a dog with similar symptoms to her skin problem? sorry for the long post... i'm just trying to give you as much info as i can on our situation:(

yep, slowly. the areas where it used to be bad are growing new healthy hair, but the skin is still flaky,and the orange dead hair continues to move over her body slowly

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
That is really bizarre. I assume you gave her a good bath after the pesticide exposure? If so, I can't imagine that is what is causing the problem. And if mange, thyroid, etc have all been ruled out.......very puzzling.

Is there a canine dermatologist anywhere in your area?

yeah i did bath her after she got home from the vets that day
about the dermatologist, i dont think so, but i'll find out where the closest one is

i hope so too. i cant seem to find any animal dermatologist in this area, i'll keep looking, closest one is about 4 hours away including the 2 hour ferry ride

maybe i should try a food switch? i'm hesitant as she was doing so good on this food, super shiny soft coat, awesome body condition/weight etc... this doesnt seem like a food allergy problem to me but who knows.... she's on the timberwolf organics 'ocean blue' right now

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
It doesn't sound like a food allergy to me either, but I guess you're at the point that you might as well try anything. If it were an allergy, she would be scratching though.

What about some kind of fungal infection?

how would we know if it was? my vet said it didn't look like any type of infection, and we ruled out everything else we thought it might be she told me to wait and see how it goes over the next month or so, if it doesn't get better we may do a skin biopsy

Charliesmommy

I run with scissors
Heck, I don't even know. I'm really just tossing out ideas now.

Seborrhea is a skin condition that causes flaky skin covered with greasy, yellowish-brown, foul smelling scales. Is there any smell?

there is very little smell if any, far from foul. the description of the scaly skin and severe dandruf sounds like what she has but none of the other sympoms really match up... i'll suggest that to my vet though

Members online

No members online now.