Recon recall brag!!

DJEtzel

Alright, so I just have to brag for a moment, here...

One of Recon's favorite things in the world is the Mule 4x4 that we have at the dog park where I work to drive around the park (25 acres) and pick up toys, poop, service things, etc... typical maintenance. Recon loves it because he was taught to run beside it from an early age (going very slow.. no running in front!) or ride along with and it really just fuels his adrenaline and moves so fast that he loves it!

Anyway... I was at the park yesterday with my boyfriend, a beagle that I am dogsitting, Recon, and a border collie mix that I watch on Mondays, walking around, playing frisbee, when my manager drives out of the garage into the park in the mule. Recon instantly got tense from about 400 yards away and he was focused on the Mule, because he LOVES it. Well he shot off before I thought to say anything to go chase it, and I was thinking "Well, he'll come back..." and I watched him run about 50-100 yards away and then thought.. "Crap, I'm giving this a shot" and called out, "Recon, come!" and I'll be damned if he didn't stop on a dime and turn around and come flying back with the same speed and intensity to me! :yikes:

I really couldn't believe my eyes and didn't think he was going to recall off of something he was so excited for... but he did. So he got tackled/loved on, then I threw the frisbee for him as a reward, and as my manager drove around the park, I noticed his interest right away and asked him to "wait" then would release him to run half the distance between us (50-200 yards I'd say?) and call him back and throw the frisbee. Talk about a work out for him!

I was just so proud. I knew around people/other dogs his recall was close to 99%, I just didn't think I would stand a chance against something he was SO excited about... but it's a great feeling to have. I'm very confident that I could call him off of a deer if he ever chose to chase one now, too... but he usually looks at them and then back to me to resume our game, so I don't know if that will ever even happen.

Just so proud of my grown up 8 month old baby man, Recon! :banana:

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I do not think there is any more singular moment that makes my heart sing, that lets me know that we have crossed the line of you and me, and made it to US. Recall is about so much more than recall. Congrats to both of you.

Members online

No members online now.