My Saint Bernard- the hero.

Its been some time since I've posted here, but had to share this experience with you! Last week we had a delightful snow/ice storm in NE and our very steep driveway was a sheet of snow covered ice.
Well, Simon (now 10 months old!) and I were out for our daily constitutional- and I began to slip down the driveway. He was ahead of me, and he slid as well. Suddenly, my ankle twisted and I went down flat on my back. Not fun at 8.5 months pregnant!
Funny, as I was paralyzed with fear and crying - I was worried he might try to take off! I wouldn't let go of the leash.
I finally did, thinking- where would he go?
When I did, he immediately scrambled to my side and lay down next to me- snuggled right into my side, just below me on the incline of the driveway. Maybe he was trying to keep me from sliding.
I was crying from the pain but afraid to move.
He then sprang up- and took off! I watched him run (as best he could) up to the top of the driveway and stop- looking both ways.
He then returned to me and lay down again.
He did this several times- running to maybe see if anyone was near, then coming back to be by my side.

Just so you know- when we are outside, he is always on a leash with me, and I haven't shown him our perimeter yet- but he never left the property.

I finally calmed down, and realized I had to get up and inside the house.
I was able to roll over and crawl down the driveway to the garage- and Simon, God Bless HIM!!! circled me as I crawled- sniffing at me, and then trying to open the garage door for me.
He was amazing. I really needed his support and he gave it to me.
I might be biased, but I really think his breed is magnificent. He and I can butt heads sometimes- but when it comes down to it- he is there for me. I love him so very much and am so thankful every day to have him.
I think if he were a bit heavier- I bet he would have dragged me inside! He's 115lb now!

(long story short) I made it inside- to the ER and have a very nasty ankle sprain- thankfully no back injury and the baby is fine.
There really is something tremendously special about the Saint.

bubbatd

How very special !!!! You must post more often !! Another Chaz baby !!!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
That's amazing! Aren't instincts just astounding sometimes??

I am SO glad that you weren't hurt worse and that the baby is fine!

That dog needs some special treats and good time sratchins. Glad you and the baby are all right except for the ankle, I know that pain.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
good boy Simon---so glad that you are ok!! How about posting more often....we need some pictures of Simon!

Sch3Dana

Workin' Dog
Sorry to hear about the injury, but isn't it great when our dogs get to show their stuff?

I was really harassed (in a scary way) once by a drugged out nut-job and my little wimpy girl hit the end of the leash and scared him off! I was so surprised and impressed. I never would have thought she had it in her, but she recognized a real threat and rose to the occasion.

Congratulations on your great dog and best wishes for your ankle and your imminent delivery.

Good boy Simon!!! You're a hero! I am so glad to know that you and your baby are alright. But you know what? A twisted ankle really hurts! Ouch! Good thing Simon is there for the rescue... Dogs are really man's bestfriend. They have his instinct that they should be the protector or a savior to their masters. And ofcourse, we should give them something in return. Nice treat for your doggy...:)

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
ROck on :) WAY TO GO SIMON! SOunds like you have a mighty good dog there.

goosey

You should post more often, not that i can talk i don't much either, but he sounds amazing.
There is a reason they are called 'Saints '.

hanslynch

That is really awesome that he took care of you like that. Lucy, my Great Dane is super protective of me, which is wierd. I am 6'3" 220 lbs and she gets protective with people that are way smaller than I am.

Members online

No members online now.