Jealousy?

I have a 2.5 year old Border Collie / Lab mix named Jett. I've had her since mid November. She was housebroken when I got her and knows how to go to the door and ask to be let out. She has had one 'accident' but really it was my fault for leaving her alone too long.

I have a new girlfriend, the first since I adopted Jett. Shortly after my girlfriend left my house this morning Jett decided to pee on the kitchen floor. This happened not more than 20 minutes after I had taken her outside to take care of business, which she did as usual.

Is this a case of a jealous dog? I'm not sure what all details would help someone out there help me figure out why this really happened and how to deal with preventing it in the future. I do not live alone, I have a female roommate who has a boyfriend that also stays over occasionally. I take Jett to work with me pretty much every day and she is never left alone for more than 4 or 5 hours. She sleeps on my bed maybe once a week at the most. She has been very loving and affectionate to my girlfriend, just as she is to everyone else she encounters.

I didn't even think about the possibility of her having a UTI. One thing that was odd is that when I was cleaning up the mess there was a hard film stuck on the wood floor. I found and began cleaning up the mess within a few minutes. I had to basically scrub the hard, crusted film off the floor. Does that info give any clues?

RD

Are you dead yet?
It's a bit too presumptuous to say that your dog is urinating on the floor out of spite. I'd get her checked out by a vet, and if all is clear then I'd just keep an eye on her behavior. It's not normal for a reliably housetrained dog to have an accident in the house, especially if they just went out, which makes me think there's something physical causing this.

Rubylove

Training the Trainer
Ohhhhh yes, take her to the vet. I have just been through 18 months of grief and hell with my Ruby because of persistent, recurring UTIs. We have a solution now but it's awful for them to go through this.

I'd get her a quick check-up. Dogs who suddenly change their toilet habits are usually victims of a physical illness, not a behavioural issue. Go the simple stuff first! :D

Members online

No members online now.