I need vibes for a house we may go see

CaliTerp07

We have oil heat in our house. It's significantly larger than the one you're looking at renting, but if you want to compare bills I'd be happy to share that info with you. It is expensive...but the rent is so cheap maybe it would make up for it?

Doberluv

A wood stove would be great. But you might also be able, with their permission to put in a propane, free standing stove. They just vent out the wall. Or....a couple of these. http://www.bing.com/shopping/delong...ortable radiator oil filled heaters&FORM=HURE They're quite efficient. They have oil and sometimes water encased within. And electricity runs these radiant heaters. But there are usually a couple settings and they use relatively low btu's. I'd check them out. I bet there will be something to remedy that oil heat situation. I sure hope you can get this place. If the heating is too much, maybe there's something else you can cut back on. (?) I don't know....but you just gotta get this! Tell Josh I said so. LOL.

Those heaters Dober's talking about are WONDERFUL, and they aren't expensive to run. They'll keep things at a decent temp while you're gone without running the bill up to astronomical proportions, then you can just use the other heat to kick it up a bit quickly, then let the radiant heaters keep it there.

darkchild16

We are Home.
We've used space heaters all winter before because of the same thing. 600 sq ft house and we only had one. It was a oscilatting (sp?) tower fan and it worked GREAT! Heck we use ONE that we got for next to nothing at Walmart (maybe 20 bucks) and it heats all but our bedroom and Savannahs bedroom.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
thank you so much for the heating suggestions. I'm definitely going to take that into account. Also, Caliterp I'd love to compare your oil expenses if you feel ok sharing. If there are ways to make it work without having to spend a fortune in oil I really really want this place. There's another place a little closer to the area Josh works that we are also looking into, but I don't feel as drawn to that place as I do this one.

The goal we have in mind right now is to find the place that we feel confident in renting for the next few years until we eventually buy. I don't want to keep picking up and moving every year like I have been doing.

sparks19

I'd rather be at Disney
Have you seen the inside of the place yet? Don't get ao sold on the idea that you will settle for anything. Go and see the insIde and the outside for yourselves first and try to be logical and reasonable.

When we were looking for a house we looking for a house after Hannah was born I was desperate to get one that I was willing to settle for just about anything. We looked at a house and I was sure it was THE ONE but after we got to the point of settling it was discovered there were some serious septic issues and now looking back I am so glad we didn't end up in that house. It was WAY small than even the small house we are in now, no fenced in yard, no storage space except for a basement and it was in a flood zone. Since that time we have had three or more incidents of flooding that have hit our area (and the creek that house is on) and we would have been underwater all the time and all the stuff in the basement (any storage stuff) ruined. All because I was emotionally invested in THAT being the place no matter what but God provided us with an out when we were in so deep into negotiations that it wouldn't have been easy to just pull out... the septic ended up being under the legal limits for distance from the house and we got out of it.

So just try to keep a clear head about it and go and look at it very thouroughly before getting set on it

S

SevenSins

Have you seen the inside of the place yet? Don't get ao sold on the idea that you will settle for anything. Go and see the insIde and the outside for yourselves first and try to be logical and reasonable.
This, this, this. PLEASE do. There are no interior photos of the inside of that house on any site I searched on, and that scares me, because that's typically done intentionally to highlight the land and scenery rather than severe damage to the interior of the home on the property. I've been looking at homes in VA/NC/GA for a few years now and if there's one thing I've seen far too many of, it's homes that are nearly unlivable. Especially rent to own/owner financed homes that could otherwise never qualify for a traditional loan, and the owners know they would spend more than the home was worth to repair and renovate.

ETA: Just for the record, I think the property itself is very nice and I *hope* that the home is just as nice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Doberluv

When we were looking for a house we looking for a house after Hannah was born I was desperate to get one that I was willing to settle for just about anything. We looked at a house and I was sure it was THE ONE but after we got to the point of settling it was discovered there were some serious septic issues and now looking back I am so glad we didn't end up in that house. It was WAY small than even the small house we are in now, no fenced in yard, no storage space except for a basement and it was in a flood zone. Since that time we have had three or more incidents of flooding that have hit our area (and the creek that house is on) and we would have been underwater all the time and all the stuff in the basement (any storage stuff) ruined. All because I was emotionally invested in THAT being the place no matter what but God provided us with an out when we were in so deep into negotiations that it wouldn't have been easy to just pull out... the septic ended up being under the legal limits for distance from the house and we got out of it.

So just try to keep a clear head about it and go and look at it very thouroughly before getting set on it

This^ 1000 times. Good advice.

Those radiant heaters will heat the house. They not only hold the heat that's already there. They will heat it up nicely and radiant heat is very comfortable heat. When you need to heat it up more quickly, use the high setting, then you can turn it down. There's a thermostat. My ex's furnace broke and he just uses one of these portable radiators in the living room and one in his bed room. And the whole place is heated fine. I think he has also, one other kind somewhere else. But his house is only about 12 or 1300 sq ft. 1500 sq ft won't be much different.

Well...I hope if this house all checks out and all bases are covered....you get it. :)

milos_mommy

You can also MASSIVELY cut down on heating costs with those insulation things you put around doorways and windows - if anyone knows what I'm talking about and has a link, please share.

Space heaters can work really well - my room is very poorly insulated and gets a ton of wind, compared to the rest of the house, so if the rest of the house is at 70 degrees my bedroom is a nice chilly 56, and the space heater I run for an hour or two before bed and it's nice and toasty. No idea what running one as a main heat source would do to an electric bill, but I don't think it's too bad.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Well... we went to see the house today and I definitely couldn't get out of that house fast enough.... for a few reasons...

First off, the land around it is absolutely GORGEOUSSSSS... like INSANELY gorgeous. It's right on a mountain with a lot of mountain views and the cow field backs up to one side of the house. The pond is beautiful though Josh noticed something in the pond that seemed weird, but we couldn't figure out what it was.

The Realtor lady showed up on time and kept talking about how this place is such a fabulous deal. We step through the door and so far so good. There is a big main room with a beautiful stone fireplace. The place could use a little TLC, but it wasn't in super rough shape. The bedrooms were so tiny though... our bed wouldn't even hardly fit in one of the rooms.

The layout was soooo weird too. Like... super weird. The house seemed to keep going on and on... it was like someone combined two houses together.

The basement door had a latch for a padlock on it which I thought was super weird. There wasn't actually a padlock on it though. When the Realtor opened the basement door she said Josh and I could go down there, but she refused to go down with us. HUGE red flag there. It was an unfinished basement and it also seemed to stretch on forever. It had another three rooms sectioned off down there but none of it was finished.

Let's just say that I got a really weird feeling the whole time we were there.... like a really really weird feeling.....

What did it for me though was right when we were about to ask some more questions about the place two other families showed up to be shown the house. I had set up a meeting with us and the Realtor and I thought it was super unprofessional that she pretty much turned from us to the other people to start showing them the house too. I didn't say another word and Josh and I turned around and walked out the door.

On the way out I stopped to glance in the detached garage. It was also weird. At the back of the garage there was a little opening and a 3 foot drop into another room. In that room was a few other small sanctioned off rooms that were SUPER tiny... what purpose is what I would like to know....

I don't know... it was just all so weird.

Back to the drawing board.... found a couple others I would like to check out that DO have photos of inside.... so going to contact about those ones.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
yesh, sounds like the place had some major creep going on. House searching is so stressfull, but the way I see it is you will know when its the right place, and no matter if you are looking for a place to buy or rent. It has to feel right. And feel like home.

Assamiea

That place sounded super creepy. When I read the part about the 3 ft drop at the back of the garage the only thing I could think of was the scene in Jeepers Creepers when the creeper is dropping bodies down the chute into the basement.

Hope you have better luck with your search and end up finding a place that you love!

Well... we went to see the house today and I definitely couldn't get out of that house fast enough.... for a few reasons...

First off, the land around it is absolutely GORGEOUSSSSS... like INSANELY gorgeous. It's right on a mountain with a lot of mountain views and the cow field backs up to one side of the house. The pond is beautiful though Josh noticed something in the pond that seemed weird, but we couldn't figure out what it was.

The Realtor lady showed up on time and kept talking about how this place is such a fabulous deal. We step through the door and so far so good. There is a big main room with a beautiful stone fireplace. The place could use a little TLC, but it wasn't in super rough shape. The bedrooms were so tiny though... our bed wouldn't even hardly fit in one of the rooms.

The layout was soooo weird too. Like... super weird. The house seemed to keep going on and on... it was like someone combined two houses together.

The basement door had a latch for a padlock on it which I thought was super weird. There wasn't actually a padlock on it though. When the Realtor opened the basement door she said Josh and I could go down there, but she refused to go down with us. HUGE red flag there. It was an unfinished basement and it also seemed to stretch on forever. It had another three rooms sectioned off down there but none of it was finished.

Let's just say that I got a really weird feeling the whole time we were there.... like a really really weird feeling.....

What did it for me though was right when we were about to ask some more questions about the place two other families showed up to be shown the house. I had set up a meeting with us and the Realtor and I thought it was super unprofessional that she pretty much turned from us to the other people to start showing them the house too. I didn't say another word and Josh and I turned around and walked out the door.

On the way out I stopped to glance in the detached garage. It was also weird. At the back of the garage there was a little opening and a 3 foot drop into another room. In that room was a few other small sanctioned off rooms that were SUPER tiny... what purpose is what I would like to know....

I don't know... it was just all so weird.

Back to the drawing board.... found a couple others I would like to check out that DO have photos of inside.... so going to contact about those ones.
This sounds exactly like a house that we looked at a few years ago. The main floor of the house was beautiful, very open floorplan, a little old-fashioned but still very nice. The upstairs, however, was horrible. There were like seven little rooms that all led into each other - like someone kept adding on after they had more children. The basement was the same way - unfinished, with a bunch of tiny little half-finished things, like DIY projects that were never finished. Needless to say, that one was a no.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
That place sounded super creepy. When I read the part about the 3 ft drop at the back of the garage the only thing I could think of was the scene in Jeepers Creepers when the creeper is dropping bodies down the chute into the basement.

Hope you have better luck with your search and end up finding a place that you love!
Ya this is EXACTLY the type of vibe I was getting from the place. The realtor keeps calling me too. She's left me 3 voicemails since we looked at the place on Sunday...

Doberluv

I'm sorry it didn't turn out to be as nice as the outside looked. No sense getting into a house that creeps you out or that doesn't feel like home. You'll find something and when you walk through it once, you'll probably feel like this is "it." Good luck!

Members online

No members online now.