Working after/on a holiday sucks

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Blargh.

So yesterday was Canada Day, but the "holiday" off work is today (everything was open yesterday).

I'm working, cause my bosses hate me and wouldn't close down, and nobody is here.

I also have a huuuuge headache, from being out way too late last night :(

/End whine

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Ugh, I know the feeling :(

I'm off tomorrow and Wednesday for the 4th, and I feel like the only person who isn't off today! Ian is at home, and my parents are at a 5 star resort on the beach! We're meeting up with my parents tomorrow to spend the day with them there, and I SO wish we could've gone over today. Stupid work.

CaliTerp07

Ugh, I know the feeling :(

I'm off tomorrow and Wednesday for the 4th, and I feel like the only person who isn't off today! Ian is at home, and my parents are at a 5 star resort on the beach! We're meeting up with my parents tomorrow to spend the day with them there, and I SO wish we could've gone over today. Stupid work.
Wha?! People get off more than just the 4th!? I never knew this! DC is all working furiously Monday/Tuesday, but will be alllll touristed out Wednesday for obvious reasons!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Wha?! People get off more than just the 4th!? I never knew this! DC is all working furiously Monday/Tuesday, but will be alllll touristed out Wednesday for obvious reasons!
Yah, we don't even normally get the day after Canada Day off, this year we only have it off cause It landed on a Sunday and god forbid the government not get a day off for Canada Day.

ETA: I celebrate 4th of July as well, normally. I'm thinking I'll have to turn down the invitation this year, I work both Wednesday and Thursday, and I'm not doing this again LOL

CaliTerp07

Yah, we don't even normally get the day after Canada Day off, this year we only have it off cause It landed on a Sunday and god forbid the government not get a day off for Canada Day.
Yeah, the only holiday all year that either my husband or I get more than 1 day off for is Christmas (we get Christmas eve as well).

Sorry you have to work when no one is there :( That's lame and boring :(

k9krazee

Maybe this'll make you feel better -- The only way I get any holiday off is if it happens to fall on my every-other-weekend-off schedule (which isn't much!) ;) During holidays we still have the building open from 8a-8p and somebody has to answer the phones through the night.

:D

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
It's lame and boring at my store too. Plus I came in and none of the closing paperwork got done so I had to do it. Then my coworker called in with food poisoning so I had to call a staff member I didn't really want to work with to close tonight (and guess who it was that didn't do the paperwork last night and left far too much cash in the till) so I'm kinda grumpy today... At least I have merch work to do, all our new displays need to be put up.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
I just got screamed at and called names by a lady because we don't carry her specific brand and packaging size of treats. Lovely day.

I'm okay working, I think I get extra pay today. Plus I need to work all I can so I can make up for taking a week off in a couple weeks here to go to FLAT COAT NATIONALS! Woo!

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I wish I didn't have to work.

Then again I have tues, wed, thurs off and only work Friday morning. I guess I'm doing okay (until I get my horrifically small paycheck).

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I asked my mom the other day if I could just be a stay at home pet owner. She didn't even bother responding, and pretended to not hear me. :p

My job's really not that bad, it's just that I was suddenly given manager duties and it's pissing me off :p mainly cause I have to do everybody else's work now when they dont do it

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
This holiday (Independence Day) will be the first holiday I have gotten off, EVER, since I started working six years ago. The joys of working at a boarding kennel.

This weekend will be the first weekend I've had off, EVER (unless I requested off), since I've started working six years ago.

Working as a veterinary assistant has its perks, let me tell you. When the clinic is closed, I don't have to work! Hooray!

JessLough

Love My Mutt
So... last night, two guys decided to go swimming in some rapids of the Ottawa River, despite not being able to swim. Yah, I'm sure you can guess how that turned out.

So now, the parkway that the bus takes to go home, is cut off while the police are out there looking for bodies. Fine, whatever, the bus has a detour down a street. That's fine.. IF THAT STREET WAS OPEN. No, it's not, because it's construction season and one of the many streets cut off right at my road.

Yah, definitely got stranded with no way to get anywhere near home without walking an hour+... further than if I just walked from work. Luckily, I was able to talk the bus driver into driving me closer to home so I'd only have a 20 minute walk.

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
We have Wednesday off only.

When I worked at the barn I ended up working lots of holidays because those silly horses like to eat every day :p It really did suck working the 4th of July though. I'm in Indiana, land of corn and fireworks, and everyone and their brother is lighting them off, usually starting midday, on the 4th. It would not have been bad if we didn't still have to guide trail rides until 2pm or so. The horses were pretty good about the fireworks over all, but our trail went through neighborhoods and every so often someone would set one off too close or light an M80 and things would get exciting.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Hmmm I get all bank holidays off (7 or 8 I think) and we got an extra one this year for the jubilee.

Generally if you work on a holiday you should get time and half or double time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
oh we do get paid extra.. still doesn't make it worth it some days LOL

Yah, we have fireworks going off like daily (despite them being illegal), thankfully I don't have a dog afraid of them (though poor Renegade is)

Romy

Taxiderpy
So... last night, two guys decided to go swimming in some rapids of the Ottawa River, despite not being able to swim. Yah, I'm sure you can guess how that turned out.

So now, the parkway that the bus takes to go home, is cut off while the police are out there looking for bodies. Fine, whatever, the bus has a detour down a street. That's fine.. IF THAT STREET WAS OPEN. No, it's not, because it's construction season and one of the many streets cut off right at my road.

Yah, definitely got stranded with no way to get anywhere near home without walking an hour+... further than if I just walked from work. Luckily, I was able to talk the bus driver into driving me closer to home so I'd only have a 20 minute walk.
So wait, some people DIED, and you're complaining because their bodies still being missing made you later than normal getting home?

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
So wait, some people DIED, and you're complaining because their bodies still being missing made you later than normal getting home?
I think she's more annoyed that the city planning people failed to realize the detour is a street that's closed right now rather than people dying made her late getting home. Gotta say i would be too.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
No, I'm complaining that construction is stupid, and the police blocking off the whole road is stupid when it's nowhere near them.

ETA: Mandy beat me to it. This is literally the ONLY road home. and it's not like they couldn't have detoured elsewhere if they really felt the need to, they could have. And it's not like they didn't realize there was construction on the road they detoured to, it has been there for 2 weeks at least, and will be for the next 2 years

Members online

No members online now.