Training good news/venting thread.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Cameron hates my brothers new girlfriend- she is reactive with guests at home (perfect angel in public, demon in the house). Anyways, we do sessions with Cam on leash and gf treating when I click. My brother hates Cam for being such a beast, but last training session Cam would sit and wait for treats without barking. She could lie down, the energy was totally different from the non-stop barking pulling growler dog we started with. And she just calmly went to her crate when we were done
At least you could convince your Cam to "listen" to you about someone lol ... With ACDs usually if they decide they don't like someone, it's really hard to convince them otherwise ... Lol.

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Had a guest over and Wes was great with her. He never saw anyone come over during his socialization period so it's been an issue, but he was very lovey. He was pretty sure she was his new bestie. :)

Today was just one of those days where everything clicked and I felt like training has actually led somewhere instead of endless flailing repetition. A pictorial example:

AND THEN THEY WENT 'ON BY' THAT SPOT WHEN I RELEASED THEM.
*dies*

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It is interesting working one trick with multiple dogs. I started teaching clockwise circles around me where the dogs jumped over my arms outstretched on both sides of me a long time ago. Mia had the final trick down in one session. We went from the individual arms with a barrier (wall and chair) blocking her from going around and doing each half separately to her doing the full loop away from the walls in minutes. In that same time frame all I got with Summer was a single jump over one arm with the wall to block her.

I've worked it a little bit since then. Summer has picked up other tricks super fast but chaining this together just hasn't happened even with work on it often. She still needed the wall and the single arm at a time.

Tonight we had an impromptu session where she not only faded out the wall but chained the circle together 100%. So months and months of no progression and then like that the entire trick clicks and she can do it all perfectly.

crazedACD

Romeo got his RL1 title this weekend :). We got four Q's in the Level 1 classes (two in the championship classes). First, second, third, and fifth place. Very happy with my boy!

We moved up to Level 2 A, but he crashed into the jump the first trial, and knocked the bar the second, so we NQ'd on both :(. Not sure if we will continue with it, as I'm not sure if it is his vision issues, I don't want him to hurt himself.

SpringerLover

Romeo got his RL1 title this weekend :). We got four Q's in the Level 1 classes (two in the championship classes). First, second, third, and fifth place. Very happy with my boy!

We moved up to Level 2 A, but he crashed into the jump the first trial, and knocked the bar the second, so we NQ'd on both :(. Not sure if we will continue with it, as I'm not sure if it is his vision issues, I don't want him to hurt himself.
What a good boy! Can you just do a jump height modification for him? Around here, judges are GREAT about allowing things in the best interest of the dog.

FG167

You were right about me and ACDs...at least show-line/conformation bred ones.

Congrats! :)

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Either sweet and not drivey enough, or drivey and REALLY pushy/reactive/obnoxious LOL I want in-between!
Pushy/reactive/obnoxious is what comes with this breed when you get drive. They go up against cattle, they have to be this way. Lol. As I mentioned before, you may be better off looking into other breeds.. I just don't think an ACD is what you are looking for.

FG167

Pushy/reactive/obnoxious is what comes with this breed when you get drive. They go up against cattle, they have to be this way. Lol. As I mentioned before, you may be better off looking into other breeds.. I just don't think an ACD is what you are looking for.
Yup, agreed. I think I might get a nice, mellow one for a pet someday LOL They're like Limit...on bitch crack haha

I'm on a list for a StaffyBull. Actually, I'm on two. Number one reason beyond liking the breed and such, Jason loves them, so the dog will be "our" dog and therefore the timing won't be as much of a thing (as long as it's next year or later haha).

meepitsmeagan

Yup, agreed. I think I might get a nice, mellow one for a pet someday LOL They're like Limit...on bitch crack haha
That's a plus for going with adult rescue. Lucy is very drivey and focused, but not insane. Lol. Then again, she's not hard.. she's pretty soft. So catch 22. I wouldn't expect her to stick with a cow if it turned on her.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
If I had to describe Merlin right now in one sentence it would be..
over socialized, under trained.

Well, not "over" because yea, I love that he does WELL with all kinds of environments and sounds and storms and places and people etc... he has never faced an environment where he hasn't thrived. which is great.
but I was so busy taking him everywhere plus school and work and life.. that I have slacked so much on his training.

I just feel like such a failure... he is WELL BEHAVED (doesn't jump, walks nicely, plays nicely, leave it, come, stay, sit etc..)
but he SHOULD know so much more command wise and I just have been so lazy about it.
He and I spend all day at the store where I work. I walk dogs, he parties with dogs that come in.. we go home, he crashes, I do homework and crash..training just hasn't been happening.

and I know it's my fault.
He is 10 months old and other than basic manners.. we have come, sit, down, leave it and heel.
that's it.

We start back with his private classes and everything soon and I should've been working with him (we took a break) but gah.

I suck.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!

I'm on a list for a StaffyBull. Actually, I'm on two. Number one reason beyond liking the breed and such, Jason loves them, so the dog will be "our" dog and therefore the timing won't be as much of a thing (as long as it's next year or later haha).
A good ACD can learn how to "settle" though. With mine I NEVER played ANY games in the house, because I wanted them to associate coming in with calm time.
Though if you teach them something in training, don't be surprises when they use it out of training hahaha.

meepitsmeagan

If I had to describe Merlin right now in one sentence it would be..
over socialized, under trained.

Well, not "over" because yea, I love that he does WELL with all kinds of environments and sounds and storms and places and people etc... he has never faced an environment where he hasn't thrived. which is great.
but I was so busy taking him everywhere plus school and work and life.. that I have slacked so much on his training.

I just feel like such a failure... he is WELL BEHAVED (doesn't jump, walks nicely, plays nicely, leave it, come, stay, sit etc..)
but he SHOULD know so much more command wise and I just have been so lazy about it.
He and I spend all day at the store where I work. I walk dogs, he parties with dogs that come in.. we go home, he crashes, I do homework and crash..training just hasn't been happening.

and I know it's my fault.
He is 10 months old and other than basic manners.. we have come, sit, down, leave it and heel.
that's it.

We start back with his private classes and everything soon and I should've been working with him (we took a break) but gah.

I suck.
You do not suck. You've raised a fantastic ambassador of the breed, a stable generally WONDERFUL dog. So, you may not be as far along with SD work as you want to be. But you know what? He got to be a puppy and that's something that is very important as well. Get back into classes and work hard now. Maybe he's finally through the teenage stage and you can make some quick progress now.

Don't be too hard on yourself.

Christ Fran, if your dog knows come, sit down, leave it, and heel... you are far ahead of most pet owners. For the leave it and heel alone. :p

k9krazee

Fran, you're likely right where you should be!!!! He's a pup - you've been laying the foundation all this time which will only help him later.

Toller_08

I would like to know how I managed to teach multiple dogs, of different breeds and sizes and personalities, to walk reliably on a loose leash. And yet there is a little black Aussie puppy, who is brilliant and catches onto things no problem, who insists that loose leash walking isn't for her. I always thought it was something I seemed to be good at successfully teaching quickly, and yet...

Gah. What a brat. She used to walk nicely, but recently she's decided that that no longer needs to happen. Good thing she's cute and I know we'll get there eventually.

Members online

No members online now.