input on diamond foods please

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
how do you feel about diamond foods? i have been feeding diamond naturals lamb and rice for months now, and Ruckus is doing better on it than he did on natural balance, or anything else i have had him on. Ruckus has skin problems from a few unknown allergies. after talking about it the my vet we think its contanct and inhalant allergies. Ruckus is also allergice to chicken.
here are the ingrediants.

First Ten Ingredients
Lamb meal
Brewers rice
Brown rice
Rice flour
Fish meal
Chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols)
Egg product
Beet pulp
Flaxseed
Natural flavor

Remaining Ingredients
Brewers dried yeast, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganese oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione dimethylpyrimidinol bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein minimum 23.0%
Crude Fat minimum 14.0%
Crude Fiber maximum 3.0%
Moisture maximum 10.0%

I know that chicken fat is listed, but he hasnt been having any reactions to it. Also, they JUST recently added fish meal. i read on the dog food project about how bad that is. i got on diamond's website and they are saying that the fish meal is Whole Menhaden fish. so according to dog food project thats not some nasty assorment of dead beach fish. so thats okay then..... right?

and i see salt in the ingrediants, i am sure that dogs get enough salt without that. so... what do you think? I have thought about switching. I "think" i have found a canidea dealer within 1 hour of me. But Ruckus is really doing great on this food!

Herschel

It's not the best, but it is available at a lot of feed stores and for the price, it's a great deal. If it works for you, feed it. They had an aflatoxin recall a few years ago but that was due to contaminated corn--something you won't have to worry about with the Naturals line. Diamond is a family owned company and a lot of long-time dog owners swear by them.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks Herschel. i heard about the aflatoxin recall. i was reading and the diamond foods with corn are tested for that now.
its low in fat and protien compared to what would be ideal, but i suppliment with fish oil and fresh meats. yes, i get it at the feed store. thats the only place around here to get dog food. i mean, other than walmart! and after studying all of the dog foods at walmart, supermarkets, and the feed mill Diamond Naturals in by far the best.
OMG, its cheap! i dont see why people feed ol' roy to their dogs when they can buy diamond for almost the same price.

ACooper

I think more people WOULD feed better dog foods if 1. they knew about them, and 2. if they didn't have to make special trips to a special store IE..feed store, good pet supply store to get them.

If you left Canidae or Chicken soup at the same price and put them in a grocery chain or at a department store they would fly off the shelves.........I mean those bags of Beneful are darn near the same price as Diamond foods, and Eagle pack and those bags of crappy Beneful sell like hot cakes.

Also, ADVERTISING would help......but then the cost would probably need to increase for us that have searched and tried to educate ourselves :)

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
It's not OMGfantabulous, but it's not horrible. It's certainly better than a lot of foods. If Ruckus is doing really well on it, I don't see a reason to switch.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
thanks everyone. yes it is grain heavy but i feel like thats justified since i feed him fresh meats with his food.
today the spoiled dog had london broil

Our dogs have been on and off Diamond and Diamond nat'ls for years. They love the taste and do very well it's just that I wind up adding oils because they shed more and their coats arent as soft as on other foods. We rotate foods here so we still go back to Diamond as one of those foods, can't beat the price either

Herschel

Garbage Dog Food! That's all I have to say
What? For the price, find me something better. (I don't feed it, but I respect that some people can't afford super premium foods.)

Some people...:rolleyes:

Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal and Rice:
Lamb meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, millet, egg product, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), rice bran, beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Diamond had that recall two years back when some animals died, and I stopped buying their Chicken Soup brand after that because I no longer trusted them. I still won't buy their food today. I remember reading that they have some kind of rendering plant that takes cows and animals regardless of what they die from, no questions asked. I am too lazy to find the link but I think I recall it was a plant in Texas.

StevePax

A guy with a dog
Why isn't food like Canidae sold at places like WalMart? It really isn't more expensive than stuff WalMart already carries (like Iams), but tons better. Seems like they ought to be trying to get into those bigger markets, doesn't it?

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Why isn't food like Canidae sold at places like WalMart?
Probably for the same reason you won't find Pottery Barn furniture there.

All joking aside though, I think Canidae is a small company that has a market niche. Thank GOD they don't get bigger. That seems to be when the compromising begins.

Herschel

Diamond had that recall two years back when some animals died, and I stopped buying their Chicken Soup brand after that because I no longer trusted them. I still won't buy their food today. I remember reading that they have some kind of rendering plant that takes cows and animals regardless of what they die from, no questions asked. I am too lazy to find the link but I think I recall it was a plant in Texas.
The recall was due to aflatoxin in some of their corn. They now inspect their corn more thoroughly, and the Diamond Natural's line doesn't even contain corn. I maintain that for people that can't afford higher price tags of super premium foods, Diamond Naturals is decent.

Members online