fatty deposits under skin

Barb04

Super Moderator
CJ (11 1/2 years old) had 1 fatty deposit for almost 8 years now which has grown to the size of a lemon. For the past year, she has developed about 6 more. The vet has taken fluid out of all of them and says that are just fatty deposits which are all on the outside not interfering with any internal organs. The vet said it's not pretty looking at the lumps but they aren't harmful.

I was just wondering if anyone else has had experience with fatty deposits. I just worry this is a sign of old age and cry thinking about it. CJ is the girl/woman of the house and I love her so.

Thanks for any input.

CrazyDiego

I dont know much about them but our Beagle/Mix has one on his side about the size of a lemon too. We picked him up as a stray puppy back in 1987 and he is still with us today! 18 years old! He is doing great.. .. but very over weight. I am wondering if it is because my parents never neutered him?

Sorry I couldnt help. My vet said they are just fatty deposits but some could be cancer too, my parents said at 18 years old he has lived a great life. THey dont want to put in though any testing. He is doing fine now otherwise. We just have to watch how many treats we give him :p

Barb04

Super Moderator
My dog was spayed so I don't think it has anything to do with the fatty deposits. It made me feel good to hear your dog is 18 years old, wow! Thanks for writing.

CrazyDiego

ya my dad told me for the last 2 years that he didnt think he was gonna make it through the winter. (the winters are hard on him, he is an indoor dog, I think its an arthrits thing that bothers him) But anyways its March and he is still with us and doing great... and he also has at least 10 of those fatty tumor spots on him. I think it has a lot to do with old age.

Thanks goodness our house is one level.. and when he goes out to go potty he doesnt have to use any stairs.... there is no way he can climb stairs now.

He is so loved in our family .. hes a great dog! He is my dog but he doesnt live with me. When I got married and moved out I tried to take him with me but it was to much of a big change for him to handle.. so he just stays with my parents.

Did you take your dog to the vet yet?

Barb04

Super Moderator
The vet took samples out of each one and determined that they were definitely fatty deposits and nothing more but did say I should keep watching them and also looking for any additional ones. I was relieved to hear that's all they are, but when a new one arrives, I become the worried mother.

I give CJ glucosamine/chondroitin tablets that has helped her arthritis. I also give her a baby aspirin every now and then if she limps a bit. She had ACL surgery 2 1/2 years ago and arthritis develops there as well as in her hips which aren't the best. The only reason she hasn't had hip surgery is because she's so muscular that they support her structure. She runs around with Max in the backyard and loves it.

Thanks for writing. Barb

Members online

No members online now.