The Truth To The Pit Bull Problem

AnimalsAreforMe

Saint Bernard Mix Slave
Well im getting a pitbull in 2 years and im not changing my mind some of the sweetest dogs I have met have been pitbulls. You know Rottweilers don't have the best reputation either.

People

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
I read the article, and I own a pitbull she is part of my signature. I dont disagree with some of the statements in the article as the demand for pitbulls has truly increased over the yrs for not just a household pet but to fight til the end to protect what the owner wants protected. I dont hold a blind eye to pitbulls, I could not sit here and honestly say that if my dog was provocted then she would fight. I have seen pets both pits fight and it is brutal. I take every precaution that I need to and have to. I dont let Nalla run loose, I keep a close eye on her but in the same breath I also trust her. I have bred her in a loving home where she is a part of my family. These **** idiots that take these precious dogs not just pits and gear them up for fighting need to be dealt with and law enforcement and animal control need to devise a task force to close these fighting rings down period

Zoom

Twin 2.0
And poodles are by far the most likely breed to bite for no reason but those dogs are 'foo-foo' enough that the idjits who like 'vicious' dogs won't touch one.

We've already heard and seen most of the "information" out there concerning Pits (and what people think are pits) and why they should or should not be banned. How about you go dig up some stats about GSD's and Rotties and the number and severity of those attacks?

R

rottiegirl

There are good pits too!

I am not saying all pits are bad. If you are a responsible owner then there is nothing wrong about getting a pit bull. Just remember to get one from a good breeder or you might end up with a pit with an unstable temperment. And yes I have looked up the stats on fatalities caused by rotties and GSDs. Here is what I found in a study conducted by the us humane society from 1979 to 1996: 60 people were killed by pits, 29 by rotties, and 19 by GSDs. pits doubled the amount of people killed by rotties.

R

rottiegirl

Also...

In every report I found, pits do not warn before they attack, they have a high pain tollerance, and they do not stop attacking untill the other animal or person is dead. That is why they are can be so dangerous. People have bred these caracteristics into them, because it helps them in dog fighting.

rottiegirl said:
In every report I found, pits do not warn before they attack, they have a high pain tollerance, and they do not stop attacking untill the other animal or person is dead. That is why they are can be so dangerous. People have bred these caracteristics into them, because it helps them in dog fighting.
What is also bred into a PROPER Pittie is strong human bite inhibition. Without this, dog fighting would be impossible, as it wouldn't be possible to separate or even handle a dog that had been fighting. These dogs had to be safe for even someone other than the owner to handle in the midst of battle rage.

That's something that too many of these fools who rant and rave against the Pit don't even realize - dogs bred from some of the old fighting lines are some of the mildest tempered with humans.

Actually, a proper Pit makes a marginal property or personal protector at best. They just aren't geared for challenging humans.

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Amen to that, Renee! I know a breeder of pit bulls. She actually keeps other breeds of dogs to guard the pit bulls! Her dogs would never even consider defending themselves against a potential thief. Pit bulls tend to be more dog-aggressive and animal-aggressive than many other breeds, but they definately are not aggressive towards people.

''A pit bull,'' says Judge Victor E. Bianchini of San Diego, '' is the closest thing to a wild animal there is in a domesticated dog."
Now there's an EXPERT opinion, lol! A wild animal will avoid mankind if at all possible . . . A judge should have learned more about fallacious argument in first year law school :rolleyes:

filarotten

Fila the love
When is it going to stop? Any large breed dog can hurt or kill. Any dog can bite no matter what size or breed. It is the responsibility of the owner to socialize and train their animals. It is terrible that people have been hurt and killed by dogs of any type, but pit bulls are in the news more, due to the fact of a**holes fighting them. I feel sorry for the breed. It is breed discrimination. Owning a Rottie and a Fila I think I can say that, as they also have bad raps. The more popular the breed of dog the more you will hear about it in the news. How do we educate the so called educators on this subject?

R

rottiegirl

Yes and...

Yes pits were good with humans at one point and some of them still are today. But bad breeding has caused these dogs to have unstable temperments and that is why we have so many attacks today. Alot of breeders only care about breeding for looks (red nose, blue nose, 25 inch head) and not for temperment. They will and do attack people.

R

rottiegirl

Here is an explanation to why pits are dangerous to people not just other dogs...

Pit-bull expert Semencic makes a more sophisticated argument as to why pit bulls shouldn't be singled out for regulation. Pit bulls, he says, were bred not to be aggressive to people. "A pit bull that attacked humans would have been useless to dog fighters," he contends; "the dogs needed to be handled by strangers in the middle of a fight." Any dog that went after a handler was immediately "culled"—that is, put to death. But Semencic's argument assumes that the culling of man-aggressive dogs is still going on—which it isn't. As Robin Kovary, a New York-based dog breeder and pit-bull fancier, acknowledges, "Once the word got out, 20 years ago or so, to youths who wanted a tough dog to show off with, the breed passed into less than responsible hands—kids who wanted the dogs to be as aggressive as they could be." Geneticist Zawistowski gives the upshot: "Irresponsible breeders have let the dogs' block against being aggressive to people disappear. They've created a kind of pit bull with what I call `undifferentiated aggression.' " A Milwaukee man learned this the hard way in January, when he tried to break up a fight between his two pit bulls and had one forearm ripped off and the other so badly mauled that doctors later had to amputate it.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
FYI, o.p.

A study performed by the American Veterinary Medical Association, the CDC, and the Humane Society of the United States, analyzed dog bite statistics from the last 20 years and found that the statistics don't show that any breeds are inherently more dangerous than others. The study showed that the most popular large breed dogs at any one time were consistently on the list of breeds that bit fatally. There were a high number of fatal bites from Doberman pinschers in the 1970s, for example, because Dobermans were very popular at that time and there were more Dobermans around, and because Dobermans'size makes their bites more dangerous. The number of fatal bites from pit bulls rose in the 1980s for the same reason, and the number of bites from rottweilers in the 1990s. The study also noted that there are no reliable statistics for nonfatal dog bites, so there is no way to know how often smaller breeds are biting.

Giny

Zoom said:
And poodles are by far the most likely breed to bite for no reason but those dogs are 'foo-foo' enough that the idjits who like 'vicious' dogs won't touch one.

We've already heard and seen most of the "information" out there concerning Pits (and what people think are pits) and why they should or should not be banned. How about you go dig up some stats about GSD's and Rotties and the number and severity of those attacks?
ROFL, makes me laugh to see how people are so much against breedism then goes out to make such statements....*sakes head* I have nothing against any breeds, love them all. How on earth do you think bashing another breed is going to help the plight of the pitbulls?

panzer426

personally I like pit bulls, all of the bully breeds. that said I wouldnt own one right now just because all it would have to do is wag its tail wrong and I'd get a law suit. I used to hear on the news all the time about how high powered firearms should be illegal because they are more dangerous...of all the gun related fatalities in the US every year, 50% are from a 22 caliber weapon. that is a very small bullet, whimpy. the rest of the stats are from every other caliber, thousands and thousands of different ones which are almost all more powerfull. its not guns that are dangerous, its stupid people with guns that are dangerous. most areas have figured out that banning guns only keeps the responsible people from owning them, the people who are dangerous with guns have them wether they are legal or not. I dont see how it is different with dogs. if the pit bull is banned in texas then the only texans who will still have pit bulls will be the people who caused the problems in the first place. banning specific breeds will not solve a problem, it is a temporary fix, basically all it does is make the world THINK that the government is trying to fix it. it is just placing a band aid over a laceration which should get stitches.
the only solution I see to the dog bite problems, world wide, is a test you MUST pass in order to keep any pet or children. pit bulls are not the enemy they are made out to be by the media. hating pit bulls is (for lack of a better way to explain my point) in style right now, the media doesnt go around covering stories of the millions of bully dogs in america who are perfectly gentle, well trained and socialized. the media ONLY tells you about the ones that cause a problem, the bigger the problem the more times a day you hear about it. I cant imagine the problem pit bulls, or problem any breeds being any more than 10-15% of all dogs in the country. you ban a breed because the minority of owners are irresponsible, stupid, ignorant, or inbred and you hurt far more responsible owners.
assume all 50 states ban the pit bull. do you seriously believe that dog bite statistics will go down drastically and stay down??? they will drop, sure, but within a year the rottweiler or the doberman or german shepherd or whatever will replace the pit bull. banning a breed is rediculous, there are no bad breeds, no dog is born with the genetic encoding that garauntees it IS going to bite someone. people are the problem, plain and simple.
oh, and untill she met me my wife had never had a dog. she didnt know that there were any differences between a chihuahua and a great dane or a alaskan malamute and a german shepherd other than the visible differences. that is a big problem. people dont know that each breed has different characteristics and quirks, and each individual of each breed is very different. I think most people who buy or adopt a dog/puppy dont know that, they just go by looks and size and dont have a clue what the breed was designed for, what its training requirements are or how to train anything, they dont know energy levels of the breeds or if it is protective, will it just bark and then want to play? or will it bark and then tear out the bad guys throat even if the bad guy shoots or stabs it? will it be silent and then spring at the bad guy and kill him without making a sound?

Members online

No members online now.