Anybody NOT recommend their breed?

i would recommend a golden(if you love wet,hyper,shedding dogs) but not a hovawart,unless you've owned a working breed like a GSD or a Rottie,beforehand!.They are not recommended as a 1st time dog owner .They are wonderful but not easy.They are also quite dominant and usually don't get along with the same gender!.
I would not recommend a leonberger if you don't like a giant,wet,shedding leaner or a pyrenean shepherd cos as a herder,they are high energy and can become yappy and snappy if not exercised enough(3 to 4 hrs a day).

sisco16

koda bear
Yea When i take my siberians to the dog park the first thing they notice is the eyes and oh what a nice coat and friendly dog but they really are not for every one they need lots of excersice, love and attention. Or they tend to take there boredom out in less than appealing ways like destroying things around the house.

vomdominus

Prey Drive's a BITCH!
I actively discourage people from working GSDs. [non dog] People don't understand the unique mental makeup of the working breeds (to include working line GSDs), and don't understand what they're getting into. They see the end result of four years of literally daily work and training, and think they pop out of their mothers as schutzhund 3's.

I can't speak on the mentality of the American show lines. From what I understand though, they make great house pets.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I don't recomend Kelpies to most people.

One breed I seem to be endlessly listing the "faults" of is huskies, I love them, I couldn't have one though. But the amount of times I get "I want a husky, they are beautiful" from people that arn't dog savvy int he slightest scares me.
I usually go through the "prey drive, hair, independant, houdini's, excercise" etc thing and they go "wow... I didn't even think about that"

showluver

Deciding to recommend a breed or not is solely based on the lifestyle, household info, activity, and everything from training experience, how muh grooming they want, children, ect.
Sometimes my breed(s) is a good choice for a family, sometimes it is not. I decide that after doing a indepth screening, then go from there.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I wouldn't normally reccomend Labs. Not if most Labs are anything like our Labs anyway. Our family is very, very active with our dogs and Labs still do not fit in very well with us.

K

Kela

I have a chihuahua that I would never recommend to anyone. He is very loving, yes and he loves anyone and everyone that looks at him, but he has been one of the most difficult animals ever.

He is IMPOSSIBLE to train. If you use a serious "training voice" he starts shaking and just freezes up as if you were yelling at him or something. Housebreaking was and still is a nightmare. My 8 month old puppy hasn't had a single accident indoors in 3 months yet my chihuahua can't go a week without piddling somewhere. He is also a yapper. He also screams pre-emptively if he thinks something is going to hurt. You're holding the nailclippers two feet away from him? *screams*

Health issues are difficult. If he feels ill for some reason, he stops eating. When a tiny dog stops eating, they get dangerously sick really fast. I keep karo syrup and baby food on me at all times since he has had problems so often where he will just starve himself to the point of hypoglycemia.

Spoiled, unintelligent, stubborn, difficult, expensive...ugh. No way no how would I ever encourage anyone to get one. Ever.

*edit* Yes, I know I've only had one and he can't be representative of the entire breed. My dog actually doesn't even have some of the bad traits that most chihuahuas do. Still, I'm not going to try again and find out.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
And even though a lot of people think Labs are the perfect breed and there's one right for everyone; it is further from true than I have ever heard.

pacopoe

I don't recommend anybody get a pit bull unless they're willing to go out of their way to be a breed ambassador. Because so many asshats own the breed the rest of us have to go out of our way to make up for the damage they've done.

I call it a blessing in disguise, but pit bulls have to be twice as well behaved as the next dog out there simply because of social stigma. People think it's cute when a Golden jumps on you, but they sue you when a pit bull does (not a joke, my friend just called me this morning to talk about insurance companies and relayed a story where her friend's dog accidentally head-butted a woman and the woman sued... the woman was friends with the owner and thank god he had insurance).

Granted I think anyone wanting to get a dog should be a responsible owner, but you have to be twice as responsible with a pit bull. If you're not ready for that, stay away from my breed.

K

Kela

And even though a lot of people think Labs are the perfect breed and there's one right for everyone; it is further from true than I have ever heard.
Eek! I totally agree. They're great dogs for some people, but I think a lot of people get/adopt one with the wrong ideas about them.

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
I'd say the same.

The crap heads won't keep me away from 'em though! :D
I don't recommend anybody get a pit bull unless they're willing to go out of their way to be a breed ambassador. Because so many asshats own the breed the rest of us have to go out of our way to make up for the damage they've done.

I call it a blessing in disguise, but pit bulls have to be twice as well behaved as the next dog out there simply because of social stigma. People think it's cute when a Golden jumps on you, but they sue you when a pit bull does (not a joke, my friend just called me this morning to talk about insurance companies and relayed a story where her friend's dog accidentally head-butted a woman and the woman sued... the woman was friends with the owner and thank god he had insurance).

Granted I think anyone wanting to get a dog should be a responsible owner, but you have to be twice as responsible with a pit bull. If you're not ready for that, stay away from my breed.

corgi_love

Unless a future owner is completely incompetent, I'd never not reccomend a Cardigan. I don't expect a person to go with a Cardigan anyway, because the Pembies are so much easier to find.

Newfies obviously aren't for everyone.. Anyone who'd be interested in one I'd have them do reading before hand- there's a great article called "Don't Buy a Newf" which goes over some really good reasons why they aren't for everyone.

iheartsammy

ME+DOGS=CRAZY
I don't know what I would NOT recommend or ever actually recommend for someone. I think there's a lot of breeds out there and there has to be one for everyone, or at least almost everyone. I do however recommend somone not getting a dog all together if they know nothing about the breed their getting other then , "Aww..how cute!" or something along those lines. People just need to know what works for them and what would be the best breed for them and one that would be fair to the dog. Ex: Don't get a Dalmatian if you have rarely any time for exercise/training ..even if you want one really badly. Sometimes you just have to face the facts that a certain breed might not be for you.

I for one really badly want to own a APBT or Dal one day. I think both dogs are wonderful dogs, but I would never even consider adopting one if I knew I knew didn't have the time or space. =/

Last edited:

Gena

I usually don't recommend dogs in general to most people I meet. I for sure wouldn't recommend a min pin to someone who didn't have an idea of what those little tail-less prancing demons can come up with for fun. I know I'm in over my head some days and I ENJOY training/working dogs. Today is our "late day" and we just got home from the park. We spent 2 hours playing, walking and training. Mr. Min Pin is now playing fetch with himself. He isn't the slightest bit worn out. I think I've only ever seen him TIRED 3 times in his life LOL! How 9lbs of dog can store so much energy is beyond me.

Paige

Let it be
Suggest a Border Collie? AHAHAHAHAHAHA! I talk more people out of getting them than into. Actually I have never said "Border Collies are great. Go get one." to anyone in person. I usually say something alongs the lines of "STAY AWAY! RUN WHILE YOU CAN!"

I would never suggest going out and buying a Miley because she is a mutt. Too bad. She's so wonderful.

Members online

No members online now.