Befuddled...yet oddly relieved

Gempress

Walks into Mordor
Zeus had to go out. I let Zeus him in the yard, just like I always do. About 30 minutes later, I realize that Zeus has yet to ask in. I was worried, so went out in the yard. NO ZEUS! :eek:

Zeus has stupidly long legs and a hound nose. The few times he's managed to get out, he's literally run for miles on a scent before we could catch him. Of course, I panic. My dog is lost!

I immediately check the gate. It's closed and latch. But as I get closer, I see that Zeus is sitting OUTSIDE the gate! He's sitting right outside the gate, snuffling the cracks and whining. I call his name, continuously praise him, then open the gate. He was thrilled to enter the yard. He was out of breath, so obviously he'd been running amok. But at least he came home!

Hubby and I go over the yard with a fine-tooth comb. No holes, things he could have used to jump out, etc.The best we could figure was that we had left the gate ajar, and Zeus got out. Then the wind blew it closed behind him.

Poor Zeus was so happy to be home that he was whining and whimpering like a baby. I guess he had fun frolicking, then realized that he was locked out of his home! LoL, poor Zeus.

I hope this doesn't happen again. But I must admit, I'm a bit relieved to know that he can find his way home. He takes off like a rocket outside, so I was always afraid he would get lost. But anyways, any other ideas how he could have gotten out? We have a 6-foot privacy fence over most of the yard, and a 5-foot stucco wall around the courtyard area.

Saje

Island dweller
Scary! Glad he's safe though. I don't know if he could have jumped it. He is a pretty big dog though!

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
LOL AWW SUCH a good boy for coming home!! lol Extra biscuits tonight!! lol

Something similar happened to us years ago with our show Shelties!! lol

We had Laddie and Rory at the time, Rory was our prime show stud. Laddie was his "misfit" son(completely out of Sheltie standards, but a love bug and home body. A rouge from any of Rorys previous litters, but was also his last son, so we kept him as a companion. Rory must have been about 12 years old - going blind, developed selective hearing (lol) and was blading due to his hypothyroid problem(which he was on pills for). Anyways, some of the neighbourhood kids had left our back gate side open and we hadn't realized. We let the dogs outside at night. 20min roll around and we could only hear Laddies insesent barking.. very loud and piercing.. We go to the back door and open it up.. no Laddie or Rory.. yet we STILl hear Laddies bark.. so we walk around the backyard, the gate is opened.. we walk around the front door.. there is Laddie barking to get it lol Rory had puttered off though lol

How dumb do you think we were calling a deaf dog!! lol But we did it.. found him a few streets up trying to play with another dog through his chain link fence! lol

Good thing Laddie didn't want to go anywhere but to the front door to tell on his dad! lol

bubbatd

Scary isn't it !!??? This happened here a month ago. Somehow one of the gates were unlatched and I heard Chip at the front door. When I first got him he would run and not come back... ( his former family scolded him when he came back ! ERG!!!)

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
You could try a bungie cord on the gate so it's allways shut.

So glad he's home

Barb04

Super Moderator
I'm glad Zeus was sitting their waiting to come back in. What a scary moment thinking he may have been gone.

Tinaweena

My Shih Tzu Tommy used to do that. He would get out somehow (we still don't know how he did it) and then we sould hear a bark at the front door instead of the back to come in.
He never went off the property cuz he though that life ended at the edge of our yard, so he just went from the front yard, to the backyard exploring the whole way I assume.

Members online

No members online now.