Ear infection?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
We've been having a bit of an issue with Talon's ears. We noticed he was shaking and digging at his ears. I'm super ashamed of this, but I haden't cleaned them out even once :eek: So I realized at that point they must be disgusting. Cleaned them with a vinegar solution and there was a ton (and I mean a ton!) or red/brown crusty coming out! EW!

Ears really didn't smell that bad, a little musty but nothing super abnormal. I wasn't seeing any discharge coming from his ears (other than the red crusties I got out from cleaning) so I figured just cleaning them should help.

Well, once a day didn't work, uped to twice a day. Nope, still nasty. So I broke down and got some actual ear cleaner and though I think it's slightly better, it's still rather nasty!

Any ideas?

Obviously my next step is a vet visit. We were planning on going as soon as David got up here, which we thought would be today, but unfortunately it looks like that's not going to happen.

I'd prefer to vet when David got here, as we don't have a regular vet yet and he is bringing the monies lol :p I do have a recomendation for vets a little ways away, but any suggestions?

*edit* edited to add when you just look inside his ears they look fine. It'd down inside the canal there is the nastiness. And his ears seem less bothersome to him.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
If it turns out to be dirty ears instead of some kind of actual issue, I wholeheartedly recommend the Blue Power Solution. You can google it and find the recipe, or the company K9 Liquid Health now makes and sells it. That stuff works miracles.

Frodo used to get chronic ear infections if his kibble had a lot of potatoes in it, so diet could be another possibility.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
If it turns out to be dirty ears instead of some kind of actual issue, I wholeheartedly recommend the Blue Power Solution. You can google it and find the recipe, or the company K9 Liquid Health now makes and sells it. That stuff works miracles.

Frodo used to get chronic ear infections if his kibble had a lot of potatoes in it, so diet could be another possibility.
Possibly who knows. Art does great on the food they are on now, maybe we will have to switch. I'll have to find a new dog store, right now it's Petsmart as it's the only thing I know where they are lol

Now that I think about it, he does have a tiny bit of dandruff, and his fur isn't as nice as it use to be. *sigh* Now I really need to find a new dog food store >_<

SpringerLover

I'd get him to a vet as soon as you can. An untreated ear infection can cause permanent hearing loss. The red/brown crusties could be either mites or infection but if it's not clearing up... get him in!

PawsibleDogs

Crazy Dog Nerd
Ear mites are incredibly common in cats, but very very uncommon in dogs. If Talon's a dog my bet would be more in the realm of ear infection. Any sort of "yeasty" odor to the ear(s)? Poor dude! Hope he feels better soon. :)

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I'd get him to a vet as soon as you can. An untreated ear infection can cause permanent hearing loss. The red/brown crusties could be either mites or infection but if it's not clearing up... get him in!
Pretty much you summed up what my boyfriend just said. He said it should already be clearing up, time for vet :( darn. I reallywanted to wait so we could check out a few vets first, but I guess it's going to be a crap shoot and hope we get a good one at this point >_<

It's funny (kinda) he said we would have a pair, one blind and one deaf dog :p lol Hear no evil and see no evil, then we would just need a "speak no evil" dog. :rofl1: Ok I know, bad sense of humor LOL

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Ear mites are incredibly common in cats, but very very uncommon in dogs. If Talon's a dog my bet would be more in the realm of ear infection. Any sort of "yeasty" odor to the ear(s)? Poor dude! Hope he feels better soon. :)
The smell is the first thing I checked and it really doesn't smell that bad. I've smelled ears of dogs with infections before, and his smells just a tad musty but not bad at all. It's barely there, so who knows.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
uncommon, yes. Not unheard of. Especially from a puppy that came from a rescue/shelter (IIRC). We had to deal with a break out while I was doing my husbandry rotation in school.

noludoru

Bored Now.

THIS times a thousand. After the vet, that is. I ran out of the stuff you gave me and need to make more. That stuff is magical.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Well, called around found a vet that seemed pretty good and they got me in same day lol

Ear mites. >_< Talon was such a good boy, met a lot of new people he loved so yay there! lol

The vet put some med in his ears and so they should all die, though not sure how long. I forgot to ask, whoops. He asked about my other dog, but Art has yet to show any symptoms at all, and they aren't particuaraly buddy buddy really so it's possible he doesn't have them. Vet said if he shows symptoms just call and I can pick up meds yay! That is so much cheaper !

I have my fingers crossed and will be keeping an eye on Art's ears, so hopefully they didn't migrate over. :)

Oh, david told me gizmo (my sisters kitten) had ear mites and was being treated for them near when she first got her. So since Talon and gizmo were constantly playing together I'm betting that's where he got them from.

Now the question is, is it safe to take Talon to puppy class today? I'm going to call my vet after my class and ask, but I don't want to transmit the mites to other puppies. Last week there was really no contact between puppies. It was more a "let's get to know each other and get the dogs comfortable with everything before throwing them together" type thing. But today is going to be a puppy play day, so I'm not sure if it's safe or not, I hope it is but we will see I guess!

Thanks guys! ^_^

It could be a yeast or fungal infection.

You might want to try aromatherapy. Combine any of the following essential oils with a base oil and apply to the affected area after cleaning.

* Bergamot – antifungal
* Lavender – soothes skin and relieves itching
* Tea tree – antifungal and antibacterial
* Roman chamomile – soothing and gentle; helps heal tissue

Members online

No members online now.