Just for fun

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Jess, out of curiosity, why do you think a herder isn't a good choice?
She has horses, and she lives near an (I'm assuming) busy street where she lost one dog to a hit and run. Getting a non-herder at least has less of a chance of motion reactivity, and less chance for history to repeat itself.

I know she said it was just for fun, but I think suggesting dogs better suited for her lifestyle would stick with her when she does decide to get a dog again :)

milos_mommy

But isn't there some with a "less fluff" type coat? Not really smooth coat, but with well.. Less fluff?
Yes. Cohen is one aussie on here with a less long, floofy, golden-y coat. I think there's another one...with a tail...I can't remember who. And if you check out Oracle Aussie's (Merlin and Journey's breeder's) page, you can see the difference between some of her fluffer dogs and a few "bred-by" dogs with smoother coats.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Yes. Cohen is one aussie on here with a less long, floofy, golden-y coat. I think there's another one...with a tail...I can't remember who. And if you check out Oracle Aussie's (Merlin and Journey's breeder's) page, you can see the difference between some of her fluffer dogs and a few "bred-by" dogs with smoother coats.
Thank you :) I looked at her page but not in depth. I will have to look more.

I would strongly suggest you look at non-herding breeds.
I don't have any suggestions, though.
She has horses, and she lives near an (I'm assuming) busy street where she lost one dog to a hit and run.
I would definitely be concerned about having an ES near a busy road with no containment (don't know if you have a fence or not, just guessing you don't due to the bolded part of the above quote). Hudson is definitely motion sensitive and would, without a doubt, chase a car if given the opportunity.

BostonBanker

Oh I understand working with them to prevent that from happening. I don't that'll be a problem. The lab mix my boss owns is more prone to herding the horses then the bc mix he has.
I wouldn't count on that being the norm. Gusto is half-BC; he is *not* permitted loose around horses other than Tristan. He will get killed in a heartbeat. It isn't even herding that he does, it is just very much in his head that We Stay Behind The Livestock.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I would definitely be concerned about having an ES near a busy road with no containment (don't know if you have a fence or not, just guessing you don't due to the bolded part of the above quote). Hudson is definitely motion sensitive and would, without a doubt, chase a car if given the opportunity.
I have a fenced in back yard now and Mickey (grandma's Scottie) is a primarily inside dog so my dog, whenever I get one, will be to. But I am trying to save up money to get a car then a place (preferably on the farm) then a dog, so it'll be a ways.down the road.
Plus I plan on reading and learning more about training in general and dogs around livestock, before I get a dog. So that will help me and future dog.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I wouldn't count on that being the norm. Gusto is half-BC; he is *not* permitted loose around horses other than Tristan. He will get killed in a heartbeat. It isn't even herding that he does, it is just very much in his head that We Stay Behind The Livestock.
As mentioned in my above post, I will learn more about training and dogs around livestock.
I have a lot to research and learn before future pup comes along.

milos_mommy

Even really excellent, qualified trainers have had dogs killed by horses - it's happened right here on Chaz. I'm not sure how much training will keep a dog safe if they've got tendencies to act inappropriately around horses, or even doing things like chasing a squirrel or something past a horse.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Even really excellent, qualified trainers have had dogs killed by horses - it's happened right here on Chaz. I'm not sure how much training will keep a dog safe if they've got tendencies to act inappropriately around horses, or even doing things like chasing a squirrel or something past a horse.
I understand that. Im not saying it will never happen. I know you can't train certain things out of a certain breed.
What Im saying is that I want to learn how to train better so the past situations don't happen again and so I can give my future pup a better training environment and a better handler.

Members online

No members online now.