Just for fun

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I don't want any BS for starting this, I am just doing it for fun.

Anyways;
- 45+ lbs
- No professional grooming (like poodles) but dog will be brushed daily
- Active
- Smart, catches on quick. I don't like slow learners.
- Drive, specifically toy drive as I have gotten into playing frisbee almost everyday at work with the 3 out of 7 dogs that my boss owns.
- Single coat
- Very owner oriented.
- I don't like super independent dogs.
- I do work with horses and we have severe barn cats so the prey drive needs to be at a minimum. Which my boss has 2 pointer mixes and a BC mix and they do great with the cats and horses.
- I think that's all.

Again, this is just a spur of the moment and for giggles thing :)

milos_mommy

Some breeds that might work:

Border Collie - double coat though
Australian Cattle Dog - also might have a double coat, but it's short? I don't know why you'd want a single coat if you're brushing the dog daily, unless it's allergies?
Boxer
Catahoula - might chase cats, and maybe slightly more independent
Kelpie
Corgi - double coat though
Vizsla
Dalmation

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Some breeds that might work:

Border Collie - double coat though
Australian Cattle Dog - also might have a double coat, but it's short? I don't know why you'd want a single coat if you're brushing the dog daily, unless it's allergies?
Boxer
Catahoula - might chase cats, and maybe slightly more independent
Kelpie
Corgi - double coat though
Vizsla
Dalmation
I guess I should of worded the single coat thing better lol
I don't mind shedding or the fur. But I don't like dogs with long hair like a Golden or an Irish Setter. If that makes sense, I know how I want to say it in my head but I can't get it to come out right lol

milos_mommy

So a shorter coat? IMO most border collies and aussies have coats really similar to a golden's. And in my experience setters and goldens have pretty different coats...golden's have a double coat with a long straight and wavy outer coat and soft undercoat...setters have long feathering but don't usually have the undercoat?

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
along with BCs and Aussies, there are always ES

You are all about getting everyone to get an ES :p
Even though I try to stay up to date on them through this forum, as i find the breed very interesting and oh so adorable, I definitely want to learn more about them. The good, bad and the ugly. So if you, and other ES owners don't mind, please tell me more about them.

A dog is not in my near future as I want to do this the right way. I know I've made enemies here because of my past with dogs, but I do not hold grudges against them because I have come to realize that those people wanted to help me. But I want to get a pup from a great breeder who does health testings, does sports with their dogs and they have titled them, and is a great all around breeder in general.

But please let me in on the ES because I would love to learn more.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
With horses around, a BC or ACD isn't going to be a good choice unless you can do a LOT of work on keeping them from starting herding behavior with those horses.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
So a shorter coat? IMO most border collies and aussies have coats really similar to a golden's. And in my experience setters and goldens have pretty different coats...golden's have a double coat with a long straight and wavy outer coat and soft undercoat...setters have long feathering but don't usually have the undercoat?
Im talking about about the long coats. Aussie and BC coats are fine because to me its moreso medium and fuzzy unlike goldens who have longer, wavy coats.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
With horses around, a BC or ACD isn't going to be a good choice unless you can do a LOT of work on keeping them from starting herding behavior with those horses.
Oh I understand working with them to prevent that from happening. I don't that'll be a problem. The lab mix my boss owns is more prone to herding the horses then the bc mix he has.

milos_mommy

Hmm, there's a lot of variety in Aussie and BC coats, but at least around here, most of them have coats nearly identical in length and texture to golden's coats. But you could certainly find an aussie or BC with a smoother coat...it's just not necessarily standard or common.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I will look into non herders but have no idea where to begin lol I "know" herding breeds more than any.other groups.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Hmm, there's a lot of variety in Aussie and BC coats, but at least around here, most of them have coats nearly identical in length and texture to golden's coats. But you could certainly find an aussie or BC with a smoother coat...it's just not necessarily standard or common.
Smooth-coated BCs are actually very easy to locate, especially if one goes with a good working breeder.

milos_mommy

Smooth-coated BCs are actually very easy to locate, especially if one goes with a good working breeder.
Oh, I didn't mean it wouldn't be hard to find one, I was just a little confused about her coat preferences, as the majority of BCs I know in real life (from various breeders and lines) have coats really similar to goldens.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
Can you put up a picture of a smooth coat BC, and Aussie, if you have one? Im on my phone and can't put one up right now.

Members online

No members online now.