Whelping Boxes

R

RedyreRottweilers

How many have photos of theirs?

This is mine. I designed it, and my husband built it for me. It's made a melamine, that slick white stuff they make cabinets out of. VERY heavy, but cleans up so easily.

The partition can be left in or taken out. I leave it in in the beginning. The puppies are whelped in the larger area, and the smaller area is a place for the bitch to get away from them if she wants to. I have boards that slide into the opening between the 2 areas. I can have no partition, or in 8" increments up to 24", which is the height of the sides.

Once the puppies are up and about, the smaller area becomes the potty area for the puppies.

The floor has a piano hinge down the middle so it can be folded in half for storage.

My bitches sleep and eat in the box for at least the last week prior to whelping.

MyDogsLoveMe

My pets love me they do
Red that is really cool. When I was breeding pekes I didnt have a box like that but did have an area where she delivered and stayed with the pups till they were on their own, but that is a really cool setup

bubbatd

Mine wasn't that fancy but made of same material. The divider is a good idea... I had a hinged door so mom could get away if she wanted. As pups grew door went higher .

anna84

Not a breeder by any means but still curious =) what are the bars that line the bottom sides of the big half for?

Saje

Island dweller
I'm having deja vu. Didn't we have a thread like this before? I can't find it and it's driving me crazy!!!!

bubbatd

Yes, she showed the pen before and Anna those are the roll bars or pig rails that keep the Mom from rolling on the pups.

bubbatd said:
Yes, she showed the pen before and Anna those are the roll bars or pig rails that keep the Mom from rolling on the pups.
Yep and the bars are a god send, i wouldnt of been without them!!!

Saje

Island dweller
Well I wanted to find the other thread and post it here so other's could see. frustrating!

Saje

Island dweller
a ha! ... maybe ... lol I thought more people had posted though. Maybe it's just in my head. Stupid head! :rolleyes:

R

RedyreRottweilers

The bars keep the bitch from crushing puppies up against the side of the box.

:D

I take them down once they are about 3 weeks. Puppies sleep in the whelping box together until I separate them into small groups in large crates at about 6 weeks.

At 9 weeks they all get their own crate for naps and sleeping. My puppies go to their new owners crate trained, and walking on leash.

RedyreRottweilers said:
The bars keep the bitch from crushing puppies up against the side of the box.

:D

I take them down once they are about 3 weeks. Puppies sleep in the whelping box together until I separate them into small groups in large crates at about 6 weeks.

At 9 weeks they all get their own crate for naps and sleeping. My puppies go to their new owners crate trained, and walking on leash.
Sounds great, and I cant stress enough how important those bars are

bubbatd

I let mine all stay together until they went " home ", but had 2 cages I'd put each in once or twice a day just to get them used to them . And yes !!! A pen without rails for the first few weeks is asking for trouble !

R

RedyreRottweilers

Renee, a 6 X 6 should do you just fine for Filas. But I can tell you, yep, it's big. I have to completely clear the guest room. The next litter will almost certainly be in the new house, so I will have a large area downstairs for the box inside the guest room down there.

Plans for Whelping Box

Would you by any chance have plans for this whelping box or could you tell me in an email the supplies I would need? I'm also not sure what breed of dogs you have so I might have to adjust the size. My dog is a Cane Corso and she weighs about 80lbs right not and is about 21 inches tall (floor to shoulder). I really like the divider, since you don't have to worry about a seperate structure for the puppies as they get older for them to go to the bathroom in.

Thanks,

Nancy Brown

borzoid

I know this is an older thread but though I would post my whelping box here as well. It is made from 3 foot pvc hog farrowing panels. they are hollow, reinforced and have a rounded top edge. The box is 4 ft by 5 ft with a latchable door cut out of one of the longer sides. The corners are aluminum t-slot quarter rounds.

I love the pvc panels...they are lightweight and easy to clean and disinfect. The door allows mom to come in and out and can be left open with younger pups...as the pups get older and are weaned the door is closed and the higher walls kept them from escaping LOL. Older still? We removed one wall of the box to reveal a dog door which we taught the pups to use. Housbreaking was just so automatic.

Collie Whelping Box

Here is a picture of the whelping box we designed. The corners, or "seats" are removeable and all of the sides come apart with hinge pins for easy storage. It's made from a sturdy, lightweight plywood that has been sanded and coated with multiple layers of verithane so it's easy to keep clean.

Here's a pic of the whelping box "in use"

Poooooor Jordan....

Members online

No members online now.