Behavioral assesment

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Went to a behavioral assessment with Artimis today. It was completly free and they teach flyball, agility, CGC classes, and regular obedience. It's not super close but it's not super far either (about 25min drive, maybe 20min without traffic). I've wanted to get Art into some kind of sport, either flyball or agility, so I thought we could just check the place out, check out the trainer, and see if it might work for Art and us.

Well I can't say I'm absolutely in love with the trainer, but she had some very helpful things to say as well. Other than the helpful advice I broached the idea of putting Art in a flyball or agility class and she said that he was absolutely welcome in any of their classes at this point. That he was very well trained, under more than enough voice control for agility when they get to the off leash point, he just needed a bit more direction when it came to new people/dogs.

She suggested first doing the CGC test getting him CGC and TDI certified (they can do both certifications at the same time) and then getting him into either an agility or flyball class. The CGC class would be to get him a bit more use to that place specifically and work a bit more on the person handling skills and dog to dog approach type things.

The trainer who does the CGC class I actually like a lot more. This lady obviously new what she was talking about, but she just rubbed me and David the wrong way, nothing to do with her training more just her personality. lol But I like the other trainer so I'm considering doing it.

So at this point we need to find out when their next class is, go and watch one or two classes, and then sign up if we still like it.

So I'm now very excited! I was so nervous, I was worried they would say something along the lines of he is horrible, unfixable, or just that he is too aggressive to do any sport ever. lol It was the opposite thank god, she liked Art a lot, said she thought he would be a great flyball dog (tossed a ball around with him) and that he was very well trained. yay

Anyways, I'm just excited and am hoping this works out!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Is there any specific reason she gave for thinking that he should test for a therapy dog? Doesn't he have human issues? I would be wary of a trainer who would even think about certifying a human reactive dog for therapy work...

I do hope you guys get to do some awesome fun stuff with agility/flyball!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Is there any specific reason she gave for thinking that he should test for a therapy dog? Doesn't he have human issues? I would be wary of a trainer who would even think about certifying a human reactive dog for therapy work...

I do hope you guys get to do some awesome fun stuff with agility/flyball!
She didn't say she thought he "should" really, more that he "could" do the TDI test at the same time.

I don't know if I'd truly classify him as human reactive anymore honestly. Before maybe, but now it's more of my fault in his training. Somewhere he became less concerned about the people and more "Bark, growl, bark, where's my cookie now?" But then when the person approaches it's *sniff sniff* "where's my cookie?" :rolleyes:

It was all my fault in not seeing this I think. I would shove a cookie in his face as soon as he would start barking to get him to calm down, which did it's job of correlating people with cookies, but made it so he will bark/growl and if I wait a few seconds instead of immediately shoving a cookie in his face he will look back at me and cock his head. Then growl bark, then to me waiting for that cookie.

When someone get's close enough he immediately stops, goes up and sniffs then runs back to me for a cookie as well, not caring what they are doing.

The trainer walked up to him (asking if it was ok to approach), sat on the floor he ran up, sniffed her, and she petted him as he did his wiggly butt love you dance.

So even though in the past he was absolutely terrified of people, I think it's turned over to happy to see people, but thinking he has to go through the song and dance of growly/barky.

grayada1

She didn't say she thought he "should" really, more that he "could" do the TDI test at the same time.

I don't know if I'd truly classify him as human reactive anymore honestly. Before maybe, but now it's more of my fault in his training. Somewhere he became less concerned about the people and more "Bark, growl, bark, where's my cookie now?" But then when the person approaches it's *sniff sniff* "where's my cookie?" :rolleyes:

It was all my fault in not seeing this I think. I would shove a cookie in his face as soon as he would start barking to get him to calm down, which did it's job of correlating people with cookies, but made it so he will bark/growl and if I wait a few seconds instead of immediately shoving a cookie in his face he will look back at me and cock his head. Then growl bark, then to me waiting for that cookie.

When someone get's close enough he immediately stops, goes up and sniffs then runs back to me for a cookie as well, not caring what they are doing.

The trainer walked up to him (asking if it was ok to approach), sat on the floor he ran up, sniffed her, and she petted him as he did his wiggly butt love you dance.

So even though in the past he was absolutely terrified of people, I think it's turned over to happy to see people, but thinking he has to go through the song and dance of growly/barky.
I think that is really cool that you stuck with him and got him over the fact he thought he was suposed to bark at strangers. Congrats to you and him.

Im glad you considered it your fault and not his. I try to do that and its not always easy. Good work.

Members online