'Dogs in the City'

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
? What is this show? It seems like The Dog Whisperer and a stupid reality show combined. Who is the trainer? anyone ever heard of Justin Silver before?

I just stumbled on this show and have watched about 5 minutes by the way.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Yeah he really does but he hasn't done much real training at all yet. Too much of the reality tv gimicks for me though.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I've never heard of him before. The ads I saw for the show introduced him as a "dog groomer." WTF?
I'm glad if he's +R though. Need more of that out in the public eye. I bet it won't last long though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Eh... not impressed at all so far with either the poodle situation and allowing the two dogs to fight. I'm also not impressed with the leash walking method either.

Snark

Mutts to you
Stopped watching after the poodle was attacked; don't think much of him or the poodle's owner for putting her in harm's way (she had to be aware of what was going on and surely signed a waiver).

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Better than some I've seen, but not that special overall. The poodle thing made me wonder if someone underestimated the dog (either the trainer, or the dog's owner) because they were doing way smaller steps prior and then *bam* dog on dog contact.

Looks like he's going to use different names when talking about corrections LOL. Leash cues = leash corrections. :p I did like martingales instead of choke or prong, though the aggressive dog suddenly was wearing a choke I noticed.

MicksMom

I caught it from the end of the segment with the Berner to the end of the show. I told my husband I was pleasantly surprised (remember, I really only saw the segment with the Bulldog). I liked how he switched to a martingale from the harness and, especially how he told the woman to throw the flexi out since she would never be using it again (first thing I yelled at the TV when she complained about how the dog walked was to get rid of the d*mn Flexi). Had to laugh at the "leash cues", tho. They sure looked like small leash pops to me. Honestly, I'm not sure it's something I'd watch on a regular basis, tho.

monkeys23

Yeah I wasn't impressed by just seeing the ads... its probably best if I don't watch it. I really disliked the slick sleezy hollywood look of this guy.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I saw him on "Pregnant in Heels" and all he did was use food and praise to teach a French Bulldog self control and to leave the baby alone. Not impressive, but not bad at all!

I have never heard of the dude before hearing about this show though. I'm pretty sure he got the job due to looks & charisma, not skill, much like Mr. Millan. However, the fact that he uses +R is a step in the right direction, as opposed to Cesar, who feels that treats are only for teaching tricks, not rehabilitating (isn't it all TRAINING?). I wish some one with amazing knowledge and a PhD like Ian Dunbar was given a national show like this. People would learn so much more from him than a random NYC dog walker... who walks a dozen dogs at a time, no less. Not safe!!! Leash corrections being called "leash cues" is just stupid. I hate it when trainers use their own meaningless jargon to make what they're doing sound less harsh - call it what it is. I'm sure he uses leash corrections to manage the dogs he's walking, that's understandable, but management is not training.

Wasn't impressed. At first when they started out by introducing each family/dog situation you can't tell much, I think he did good with the first half of the Bulldog (baby gate, kong, let him whine it out, very basic), but when they went on to "teaching" the Berner leave it, ugh, punching a dog in the chest to teach "leave-it", WRONG! He's a "half/half" trainer as I see it, wants to be positive and use some of its benefits, but it still partly stuck in the dark ages. Probably wont be watching another episode, maybe online at a later date but no need to eat up good nightly TV programming with this.

Members online

No members online now.