New here...LOL

Well here I am. I am originally from Germany and have lived in the US for about 6-7 years now. In germany I was a very active GSD club goer, where I did schutzhund training regularly. I have personally owned 3 GSD's that I have lost with old age and are waiting at the rainbow bridge for me. The last one left me in October, she was still in Germany living with the rest of my family. I couldn't bare to take her from my father since she had become his friend. (she was 11) I just recently finally found a GSD breeder in Michigan that had the old fashion bloodlines I am use to. My personal preference is the GSD with the longer hair which I use to get teased about in germany. This breeder had a beautiful female with longer hair and a VA rated beautiful black/red male. I stayed in contact with her from the moment the pups were born to the moment I got to pick him up. Shakti is a great joy to me. Now that I have a GSD in my life again I feel like a whole person again...LOL :D He is the first male I have personally owned so it will take a little getting use to. I am training him in german, he already responds to sit, down, and come and is 11 weeks old. I have layed a few tracks for him because the goal is the get him SAR certified so that I can use him as my work dog. (law enforcement student) He has a nose that is worth it. I will keep everyone updated on his progress and post pics so you can see how he's grown.
In the US I also worked as a certified obedience instructor at Petsmart for a while but found it better to go out on my own since Petsmart expects all dogs to be trained the same. I agree that any training someone gives a dog is better then none, but over the years I have also learned that each dog has its own way of learning and its own personality. My dream and goal is to own a boarding/ training facility. I also have a spoiled ROTTEN four year old spayed Chihuahua who has the ugliest smile :D LOL and that belongs to my little boy, and a spoiled fat cat that I love to death and adopted from the pound last year after visiting him also everyday for 6 months. He is 4 years old. :D

It's great to have you here! You'll see Serena and me go on and on in posts about working German Shepherds and lamenting the fact that there are so few of the old fashioned GSDs in the U.S. anymore.

It's also great to meet someone with real expertise in training who has your insight.

Welcome! Renee

Thank you Renee, I am very glad to have found some other fellow GSD lovers. I am sure we will be able to exchange ideas.

Serena said:
While I do have my personal preference towards West German Showlines (something about that total package of beauty and brains just leaves me in awe) I wish you nothing but the best with Shakti and look forward to learning more about he progresses with his training. :)
I fancy west german bloodlines myself. It took a long time to find a breeder in the michigan area that I wanted to buy a pup from. My parents still live in Germany and my mother just bought a pup herself, but the flight would have been alot for a young dog. I like the old fashion german bloodlines, so thats what I looked for. (Arminius is one of my personal favorites.) Shakti is a bright little guy and picks up on everything I am teaching him easily. He is 3 months old and can sitz, platz, hier, and has his nose to the ground looking for the toy at the end. (30-35ft) Right now it is all in play, and you can tell he is enjoying it.

A funny little fact I'd like to mention. My sister also bought a pup she lives in Texas. She bought a lab (pinki) and her birth date is 2/29 just like shakti's, my mothers pup is exactly 3 weeks older then both of our dogs. We share our weekly funnies with eachother about each puppy.

Marion

sofiaj

Hello k9rotehexe!

Hi guys, I'm a newbie here too. Good to found dog lovers here to share their ideas and experiences. It's great to find new info about dogs.

Members online

No members online now.