Post-spay question: When can we resume longer walks?

rubysoho

My pup was spayed back on Tuesday. I've been trying very hard to keep her quiet... no jumping/rough housing etc... Edible chew toys and previous positive crate training has been a godsend!

However, we are now on day 4 post-spay and my little pup is starting to get a bit nutty. :lol-sign: I like seeing her energy because I know that means she is healing well (the incision site/stiches look awesome). Buuuuut, it is getting harder and harder to contain her energy to keep her quiet. Even chewing something edible is becoming a high energy event (she is starting to toss/shake/throw it - even in her crate!). It is getting to the point that she wants to RUN everywhere. She will stop if I correct her but I don't know how much longer that will last!

I know she is bored. And she is a puppy with pent up energy!

When can I resume our long walks to help her burn off this steam? Vet says I need to wait until stiches are out (yes, I am hoping to find people who say she can go on longer walks!). That is another 6 days away and I can just imagine how crazy my little girl will be by then.

Thanks in advance! I know spaying is major abdominal surgery and I am trying very hard to keep her settled.

Isn't it hard to keep them quiet!!! They feel fine but really, you do need to give them time to heal. Dogs have no self restraint. I'm a vet and have seen some wounds break down because the dogs have done too much too soon. Even though the skin sutures look great, the incision through the abdominal muscles may not have healed as much, and they're the ones that do most of the work keeping the abdominal contents inside.

I know it's not what you want to hear, but I'd suggest keeping her quiet until the stitches are out. What about giving her some mental activity - teach her tricks, play hide and seek - she'll enjoy that.

rubysoho

Thanks. I figured that is what the response would be. Wishful thinking.... She is being a doll and not going completely wild. Though yesterday she was bounding up the steps 2 and 3 at a time. *sigh*

I am curious about her abdominal sutures. They seem to form a hard-ish ridge underneath her skin. It hasn't gotten worse or better. No heat. No pain to the touch. Etc... I will ask the vet Friday when she goes in about them. Until then, playing is kept to a minimum. We are going through LOTS of chew toys. Yesterday she destroyed one within 30 seconds.

We are getting "roll over" and our sit/stay to be very consistent. Shake is also good. I need to step up the trick training because she is starting to throw different tricks together. :rofl1: Although it is cute when she simultaniously tries to give her paw while attempting to lay down. :D

Thanks for the reply! Friday is not far away....

Members online

No members online now.