Help.

the kiara

Hi, I was wondering about the complications with a Chihuahua and a Mini-Pincher breeding. Problem is that my 5 month old minipin puppy somehow managed to mount my tiny chihuahua female who is now a year and half years of age but also really small for her kind, only about 1.8KG in weight and really small. Well to get back to the point, they got stuck together in their "accidental sex" which tells me that she's gonna be pregnant almost for sure and that is what pretty much scares me. Where Im from (Iceland) there is no real experience for this kind of breeding so I ask for your expert, professional advice and your opinion regarding weather we should let this pregnancy go all the way or should we abort this right away? I ask you cause I really dont trust the advice we get from local veterinarians here not only because of the lack of experience of this kind of breeding but also due to some hard prejudice against non professional breeders like our selfs.

Thank you in advance

Kristrun J. Alfonsd.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Given the size of your female, I would do an emergency spay ASAP. Yes, this will abort the litter, but it's better than risking the life of your female.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I would say an emergency spay. Chihuahuas already have problems with pregnancies, a dog that small could die if she had to deliver :(

I think it would be better to abort the litter.

Romy

Taxiderpy
A spay is a hysterectomy. There are shots that can be given to abort a litter, but those can have complications for the female as well.

I agree with the spay.

Years ago my father was visiting one of my aunts, they had a female pit bull puppy that had around 7-8 months, she was very tiny and she was very pregnant of a GSD mix.

My father suggested them a spay since her tummy was gigantic, they didn't listen and days later... BAM

She died since the pups where too big and too many, she actully died days before labor. :(

They told us that when they took the body to the vet there was a mess inside.

Romy

Taxiderpy
Pyometra is a pretty common side effect of the shot, which you have to spay to cure anyway. It can also cause false pregnancies in the future, and extended heat cycles. Bone marrow suppression is another possibility.

Are you planning to breed or show your chihuahua in the future? To be honest, she probably wouldn't be able to safely carry a pregnancy sired by another chihuahua at her size.

Maxy24

Just have her spayed now, the vet will give her a routine surgery to remove her uterus and then she will not have any puppies. Since she is so small having pups could kill both her and all of the puppies because they might get stuck.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Yes, definitely spay her. It will abort the puppies and prevent this from happening again in the future.
Such a small bitch could easily die delivering those puppies.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
this pregnancy could kill your dog...
shes tiny and the puppy isnt even remotly full grown meaning hes going to be even bigger...
which means the puppies inside her have the genetic potential to be huge compared to her.

chihuahuas are at VERY high risk of complications, especially puppies gettign stuck in the birth canal, if this happens and you do not get her to a vet imediatly, not only can she die, but you can also loose any puppies.
cesarian sections are incredibly common in chihuahuas, in this breeding it would be almost certain she would need a c-section...its an incredibly risky surgery and you can loose her and the puppies during the surgery...

all in all the risks are not only incredibly highly likley, but have the potential to KILL her.

take her to the vet NOW, first thing in the morning, dont wait, and have an emergency spay done. your vet will know what your talking about.

the spay will steralize her, making it impossible for her to have an accident like this ever again, its best for your girl and best for you.
i would also have your male neutered too.

colliewog

Collies&Terriers, Oh My!
What kinda complicasions?
You're in Iceland, so I'm not sure what drugs are available to your vet to abort the litter. The most commonly used drug in the US can have side effects as were mentioned, such as pyometra and/or cystic endometrial hyperplasia (severe, life-threatening infection of the uterus), or bone marrow suppression, but I don't think it's available overseas.

Other hormone or steroid-related drugs could be used, depending upon what is available to your vets there, with even more negative side effects. Please note that no drug that causes abortion in animals will come without high risks.

It is in the best interest of your girl to have her spayed so that she will not carry the litter to term and risk severe complications and worse, even death.

Good luck to you!

Members online

No members online now.