Puppy and Adult Cat

grayada1

Any good tips on socializing a puppy with a cat? So far they have done ok. I have a feeling the cats will show the puppy where he stands. he gets excited and jumps around and barks some and the cats get tense. they both seem curious just havent been able to match excitement levels.

Its only been one day so i think thats pretty good. Let me know any tips.

Thanks

Adam

lizzybeth727

Are the cats declawed?

The #1 thing you can do is make sure the cats have "escape routes" anytime the dog is in the room. It can be the cats hiding under or behind something that the dog can't get to, or a high surface that they can jump onto, etc.

Barb04

Super Moderator
I agree that the cats need a room where the puppy can get into. I use this in my house and would be good for when the puppy is big enough not to fit through the bottom door:

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
LOL.. and they probably will not meet excitement levels :)

I agree with everything that has been said! We got our dog when she was a puppy and already had an adult cat.

After romping around with the puppy and tiring her out some, I'd put her on a leash and sit down with her on the floor (close to the location of the cat) and just feed her a treats here and there when she was acting calm around the cat. My husband fed the cat some treats as well to reinforce something positive for the cat when the puppy was around.

My guess would be to try to refrain the puppy to pounce on or around the cat and bring them together in a controlled manner when the puppy is calm.

Members online

No members online now.