Cherry Eye

Lizmo

Water Junkie
Okayz. As some know, Jake has Cherry Eye.

We took him to the vet and got some medicion for the swelling. The vet said there is no cure except a $350 surgery. Whatever, thats fine we are doing the surgery.

My dad emailed his breeder, and the breeder says only one of her females has gotten it. And the vet gave her some steriod biased meds, and it went away and hasn't come back. Whats up with that? :confused:

Other than that ticking me off a bit, the vet said it isn't enviroment or genetic. So my question is this: What causes Cherry Eye?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Hm, I always assumed it was hereditary. I'm not sure though. Wiki (no that that's the end all be all of course) says 'Cherry eye may be caused by a hereditary weakness in the connective tissue surrounding the gland'.

Sounds like they don't know for sure? But it does say that beagles are very prone to having it.

I have never heard of treatment other than surgery.

That sucks... Hope he doesn't have to go through surgery. :(

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Okay, I read another thing that said that steriods typically do not help. Maybe she was an atypical case?

Treatment of cherry eye is very straightforward and consists of surgically repositioning the gland. Topical or injectable treatments of antibiotics and steroids are rarely effective in reducing the gland and allowing for correction without surgery. Because the exposed gland is at greater risk for further trauma or infection, prompt surgical replacement is the best choice.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Cherry eye is a cocker issue. I've read/ talked to too many people in the cocker world.

Their consensus has mainly been a little of both. In some cases cherry eye has randomly popped up where it's never been seen in a line. Yes genetics are complex, but if bred it may never pop back up again. So it's kind of up in the air as to where it comes from.

If the cherry eye is minor, it may pop back in.. but there's no guarantee it will stay in..

I don't like the tacking surgery.. Too many fail, in one case when it popped the dog ended up loosing sight in a freak accident post tacking (scares me).

My breeders vet does a partial removal of the gland.. so you don't get a cherry eye reoccurance.. and you avoid permanent dry eye. Seems to be the best bet I've heard of yet.

Cherry eye surgery corrects this condition is the vet is good. I had a Boston Terrier show prospect puppy that got it not long after hubby bought him. The breeder took care of it for us, he as totally fine after the minor surgery and some drops to follow. It does work!!:hail:

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
Here are my thoughts on it...

Both Cockers...and Beagles are breeds with heads tending to domey and large full, open eyes. Not meant to be protruding mind...but open and "pleading". IMO perhaps that "type" has somehow predisposed them to Cherry Eye. Add in a little bit of a smaller tear duct that is found inone particular hound, and BAM...it will flare up readily. Add in again that Beagles are often found with heads DOWN in tight scratchy brush or grass...well...that might have something to do with it, too.

IMO it is not genetic meaning that it's a mom dad grandpa problem...as much as a disposition IN THE BREED.

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
Here are my thoughts on it...

Both Cockers...and Beagles are breeds with heads tending to domey
Totally.. Plushier faced cockers are prone to cherry eye. 'Houndier' faced cockers are not. Smudge has had some verging on the edge issues, but he hasn't had issues in about a year. He's a very plushy faced cocker. Cider is more 'houndy' looks field bred. In cockers cherry eye just doesn't happen with that muzzle type.

bubbatd

One of my off springs had a cherry eye , but luckily was vetted early with no problems .

Members online

No members online now.