The Trainers Game

Kayla

Ouuu I've got one that just recently became an issue. My best friends dog has recently become terrified of sewer grates, all types, all sizes. When walking down the road she will either try and jump into traffic from the side walk to avoid them or plant herself. Also shows multiple signs of stress such as deep panting, wrinkled skin along nose and under eyes.

My friend has owned her for close to two years now but before that all we know is that she was malnurished and came off death row. She was initially very skittish of sudden hand movements around her head and shy with men so we suspect it was not a very good situation at her first home. None the less we have both racked our brains and can think of no experince that could have triggered her sudden reaction, she previously just ignored them.

lizzybeth727

Is this a problem you've already solved?

The OP:

This is the game:
Give a brief case history of a problem: breed, sex, age and problem. Then the rest of us ask questions and ideas of how we would solve the issue. Then the trainer that posted the 'problem' can tell us how they solved it.

adojrts

Kinda...Same dog as in the first problem -- 2 year old aussie/rott mix. She was being trained in competition obedience. She did absolutely beautiful - picture perfect - heeling. All paces, halts, left turns, right turns. Her about turns however were not so good. She would go about three or four feet away from me to the left and then after the turn she would scramble back to heel position.
I would try two things, first I would clicker train the position of heel, in the event that didn't work I would make out of pvc half a square, hold one end with it going out and over the dogs back and down, so that it came into contact with her side if she beared out.
On second thought, just holding a pole out in the position along her side would also work without the top part.

Kayla

Is this a problem you've already solved?

The OP:
Opps I suppose I should have read the rules a bit closer, no it actually just appeared out of nowhere not to long ago, so no it is not solved yet. I just think it's random appearance is intresting and thought it would be a good piece for the game but i didn't realise it needed to be an issue that has been 100% cleared up my bad.

Brattina88

How about:

Approx 2 or 3 year old German Shepherd who is completely reactive to motorcycles on the passing roads. Barking, lunging, snarling, etc. Otherwise very well mannered, calm, and social to people, dogs and loves car rides. Even the parked ones got her hackles raised, and trembling (though quiet).

> Motorcycles no longer get even a second glance ;)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
I would try two things, first I would clicker train the position of heel, in the event that didn't work I would make out of pvc half a square, hold one end with it going out and over the dogs back and down, so that it came into contact with her side if she beared out.
On second thought, just holding a pole out in the position along her side would also work without the top part.
Keep in mind that except for the about turns her heel position was flawless, so I'm not sure how much benefit there would be from the clicker training (not that it would hurt anything).

A pvc held over her back might be useful, but the handler (me) is too uncoordinated for that and this dog is one that would likely spook at that.

Hint: This dog knows where she should be for heel position.
Hint2: This is an aussie/rott mix.
Hint3: I like out-of-the-box thinking ;)
Hint 4:

Members online

No members online now.