I have some questions about my New Min Pin

Bug

Whats up, my name is Bug (yes its my real name) and I just recently bought a miniture pinscher, his name is "Charlie" and he is about 11 weeks old. I have been wanting to get a dog for a long time now, but I just wanted to make sure it was the right thing to do, and let me tell you it really doesnt get any better than this.

But now that I have him, I just have a few questions, hopefully you guys and gals can help me out. Prioir to buying him, I purchased some of those books that give tips on raisng and trainnig, but I would also like some more personal experiences. Charlie actually isnt my first dog, but when I had dogs before I was too young to do any of the training.

Now for the most part, seeing that I have only had Charlie for a week, he is learning pretty good. He already knows how to sit, his name, and sometimes come, so Im not doing too bad in those departments. He also does an okay job with housebreaking, but here is where the first problem lies. I will take him out and he will do his business #1 and #2, then as soon as we get back in the house he will almost always do a little urine squirt, but not much. Is this common? Is he trying to get my attention? What should I do to make him stop?

Next Im trying to kennel train him because I got to college and Im not home all the time, and it goes okay as well, only because Im not a sucker ad I dont take him out when he cries. But, I also like for him to sleep with me sometimes, now here is where the next problem lies. He has got to the point to where he will not fall asleep unless somebody is holding him. I dont really mind holding him because I like him sleeping in the bed with me sometimes, but I just dont want this to become a problem later on down the line, especialy with kennel trainning. Could this sleeping habit become problematic in the future? Should stop holding for a while until he learns to fall asleep on his own?

Any info would help, THANKS!

The urine squirt is a new one on me! It could be excitement, not wanting to come back in, attention, or even an involuntary action caused by a relaxing of tense muscles when he's back inside. My guess is the last, and that it will probably taper off and stop as he gets older and has been with you longer.

As far as the sleeping goes, well, he's got you trained, doesnt' he? Try the old trick of putting an old T-shirt - not freshly laundered - with your scent on it in his bed. Then don't give in! He can learn that there are times when he can sleep with you and times when he has to sleep by himself.

Bug

Thanks! So you're saying that this could be a problem down the line because he is spoiled? One more question, maybe those who have hyper dogs can help, he is really really hyper sometimes to the point where its hard to get him to even learn anything. What is recomened to calm him down a bit for trainnig purposes? I understand that this is the dogs personality and I willing to be patient, but I was just wondering if there was something I could do. Thanks!

It's just like dealing with a child. You're the one who's in charge. If you're not, it's going to be a real problem later.

Shiva is the world's only Fila with spells of hyperactivity. You haven't lived until you've had to deal with a 120+ pound puppy dancing around on her hind legs, jumping up on you and just generally acting like she thinks she's a 12 pound Jack Russell. Sometimes I just have to grab her and swing her head around so I can look her in the eyes and tell her she's got to settle down and pay attention. Sometimes I just give in and enjoy her mood along with her. Whichever way we go, it always ends up with her gigantic head snuggled up on my shoulder snuffling under my neck in a big hug.

Brattina88

It's hard to resist letting a puppy sleep on its own when you would like to be cuddled up together. When Maddie was a young pup I found it very hard to resist those eyes (her Cocker eyes can kill one's heart :eek: ) but I stuck through it. She's two, and now that she knows its my choice and doesn't mind too awfully much, I call her into bed ;) Its easier to stick to your guns when there puppies instead of pulling your hair out when they're older.
Try walking him, playing, and exersizing before you do a little training lesson is all I can suggest. Maybe its just the puppy in him right now... Sounds like you're doing a good job with him. Keep up the good work! :cool:

BTW:
(there was a misunderstanding of Maddie's age for a while so if I posted she was three somewhere else I was wrong! The vet tried to say she was three so I thought I was confused and forgot a birthday, but it turns out I was right. Thats the only good thing her AKC papers are for me :rolleyes: )

Brattina, you are so right about Maddie's big Cocker eyes! That's the first thing I noticed when I saw her photos. How do you ever make her do anything when she looks at you with those great big soft eyes? Shiva was bad, Kharma is much worse since she has more of the infamous Fila melancholy, but with these two I can at least keep in mind what they turn into and stick to my guns; with Maddie how do you even have a chance?

I'll bet Roxy's Beagle face is almost as deadly!

Members online