Repost about switching from wee pads

kds24

We have a 9 month old Havanese who we had trained on pee pads since we were away from home all day (around 10 hours). She was great with the pads except for the usual peeing off the edge while having most of her paws on the pad. She obviously had accidents when we went to visit at other people's homes and we never had rugs in our house, only wood floors so she seems to think everything is a pee pad.

Well, now we both are working from home and moving to Chicago in less than 2 weeks. We want to train her to go outside only when we move since there is no need for her to use the pads with us home all day. I thought it would be a good time since it will be a new atmosphere and I'll go cold turkey with the pads there. She has had full access to our apartment here (not saying much since it is NYC), but I'm having the feeling that we should restrict her space. Should we go back to the crating like we did when we first got her? One of the reasons that we gave her full access so early is that she started with the crate, but then we gave her her crate and a pen around it with her pad in it during the day, however she learned to jump over the pen (we saw the tufts of fur on the top!). I do feel that we've been a little irresponsible and now it's coming back to bite us in the butt. Help! Any suggestions would be great! My biggest concern is trying to crate a dog that hasn't been in one in a long time. She goes in her crate by herself for naps so I don't want to make it a bad place. Thanks!

Doberluv

It's not going to be easy to train a dog to pee outside when she's got it in her head that inside is the place to go. That's why I never thought much of wee pads or newspapers. It's hard to say on the one hand, "Go pee inside." Then, "don't go pee inside." If you are uncomfortable with using a crate when you can't watch her, I don't know what to tell you. Can you continue to make it a pleasant place for her when you can't watch her? Beef up the good times? A crate is perfectly natural for a den animal as long as it's not excessive. Many dogs who do not have access to a crate will create their own....under a table or in a corner or under a chair.

All you can do is watch the pup at ALL times when you're at home and she's loose in the house. Take her outside often (although it won't be as often as a very young pup) after meals, drinking, play time, naps....etc. Show her the special area you have picked out for her and when she does go, attach a command, like "go pee pee" or whatever you like. Wait till she's just finished, one second after and praise her to the hilt. Give her a very, extra special treat. Make a huge fuss over her. Don't do this while she's going or she may stop in mid stream, but within a second or two of her finishing. You'll have to be consistant and avoid accidents. Every time she goes inside will reinforce that. I advise against any scolding what so ever. If you catch her in the act, scoop her up and take her to her outside area. Then praise when she goes. Most dogs need to walk around a little first before going. Show her what you do want and praise. She should catch on in time, but it may take a little longer for a dog who is in the habit already of going inside. Hope this helps. Good luck with the move and with the re-training.

Fran27

I think the best way if to still use the pads, but push them closer and closer to the door, and eventually outside.

Members online

No members online now.