pawing and jumping up

zzztimbo

when my dog, Bowie (a 1 year old weimaraner), is excited, to see me after an absence, he'll jump up on me. how do i stop this behavior. someone suggested i try to step on his hind feet. i don't know if that is wise or not. i have a dog trainer that tells me to correct him if he does anything that is undesirable (with a yank on his check chain). i don't want to punish him for being happy to see me.

one other behavior that is interesting is that he paws at people or other dogs. he does it in a non aggressive way. is this is way of saying "hello" or "i like you".
i've tried saying "no paws" and slapping his paw away, but he still persists.

thanks for any advice in advance.

luvmydogs

to me it's a toughie, cus mine does it too. wat someone told me though, is, don't make a big deal aout coming home. don't feed his excitement. when he jumps on you, ignore him, then when he calmed down, pet him slowly...hope this helps a little...i'm pretty sure other people can help you more though.

Doberluv

Timbo, I think your instincts are right on. I also think Luvmydogs gave you some fantastic ideas. In addition, I will state what I always do: Any behavior is likely to be repeated when there is a payoff. Any behavior is UNlikely to be repeated if there is NO payoff. So, in addition to keeping the greetings and the goings low key, when she jumps up on you, simply turn your back on her, walk away a few steps, don't speak, don't look at her, give her NO attention, good or bad. When she is on all fours and standing somewhat calmly, bend down to her level, position her broadside across the front of you (sideways), hug her in close to you, so she won't feel the need to jump up to see your face and give her lots of praise and love. When she begins jumping or pawing, again, ignore completely. Ask others to do the same. Tell them you're trying to teach her that jumping up or pawing doesn't get her anywhere, doesn't give her anything good so please cooperate. LOL. Soon this undesireable behavior will extinguish by itself without any overt action from you. Be sure to praise lavishly, behavior that you do like.

There is fantastic theory called Amichien Bonding, that will help sort out this problem you have, but its not a quick fix, it is a change of lifestyle. Its all about the way you behave with your dog, there is no punishment for bad behaviour, only praise for good behaviour. I think it is fantastic, I recently got a book out of the library on it. It changed the whole way I look at dogs, it gets you to look at the world through their eyes, rather that trying to impose human traits onto a dog. I have used it with my dog and it works a treat. Type it into a search engine, you should find some info on it, I would give you the name of the book but Im not sure if Im allowed to put it on here! :)

GSDFan05

Sorry to jump in, but The Dog Listener: Learn How to Communicate with Your Dog for Willing Cooperation by Jan Fennell talks extensively about amchien bonding. I'm not sure if it's the one Shadow the Staff was referring to, but it is a great book, really insightful. Of course no training theory works for every dog, but Fennell has a lot of good ideas/solutions.

I have that 'little' pawing issue with Shiva and Kharma :rolleyes: Hurts like crazy! I give them the evil eye and don't let up until that paw hits the floor. THEN I get a dog chin plopped on my arm, or a big nose - the constant and recurring snout - and they get their attention.

Fran27

The best way is supposedly to just ignore them until they get on the floor. Not working so well here though :p

luvmydogs

that kind of behavior has to be stopped right away. mine stopped, but is always trying a little bit. i HAD to be firm about it, cus he would try to jump on my 2 yr old. and that's unacceptable. i also noticed since he has been left out of the crate, he doesn't go all that crazy anymore. i am not using the crate when i leave anymore. so i don't know if u use a crate, but if u do, most likely the dog will be more hyper and try to jump on you...don't get me wrong it's always good to use one, but my dog was locked up all his life by his previous owners, and he HATES it. plus he doesn't tear up anything when i'm gone. i'm a stay at home mom, so i'm never gone for more than 2-3 hrs anyways

Hi, I was talking about the Dog Listener, its a fantastic book. The Practical Dog listener is good as it has examples and pictures all the way throught the book. I find the theory fasinating and really does work. My boyfriends parents dog always jumps up and bites and scrams until he get what he wants. The last time I visited I tried out the Amichien bonding method, it worked a treat, for me. My boyfriend didnt do what was recommended, and the dog wouldn't leave him alone, really buillied him until he got his own way, he used to do the same to me, but he didnt when i tried this method. It can be quite trying on the patience when the dog is trying to get your attention, but stick with it because the results are fantastic. :)

Watts

My Weimaraner does the same thing. He's getting better at it. I'm really starting to pay attention to it though. The other day he jumped on our niece, a 2 year old, just playing, but he knocked her over and caused her to bump her head on the driveway. She was fine after a few minutes, but i will NOT allow that to happen again. Every since then, he's not allowed to jump up at all. When i get home, and see that he's all excited, i tell him to sit, and i won't pet him until he sits, then he gets some attention. But this seems like a slow process, but he is getting better. The thing is, he was just trying to be nice to our niece and lick and play with her, he just doesn't realize how big he is. You could tell he didn't even know he did anything wrong. We just have to watch him, especially around little kids. But i would start with the "sit" thing. It's helped if nothing else. He's only 7 months old, so he's stll got a ways to go with learning. But he'll figure it out.

Allyse718

I want 2 b a dog 4 a day
what dober said is pretty much how i trained my dogs to not jump up with a slight twist. I would call the dog and be very very excited. If she jumped up, I'd turn my back, and not give any attention. Then I'd do the exact same thing again. Call excitedly, if they jump up, turn around, and don't give any attention. Turn around, do the same thing, and this time if they don't jump up, give the dog a treat and praise praise praise. Do this a couple times a day and your dog should be good within a couple of weeks.

Members online

No members online now.