help please, my yorkie urinates on people

carlar

Dog Lover Boutique
You might try using these to help with the problem. http://dogloverboutique.com/pd_black_satin.cfm
I got one for my Yorkie stud Mac and it works like a dream. Plus the satin helps keep the hair from knotting up under it. Supposedly if you use it faithfully after a time they are supposed to untrain the marking because the dog doesn't like the wet feeling. I haven't been using it that long so I can't say that it will help with retraining but it helps with the marking. The urine goes onto a pad that is placed on the tummy so it doesn't go on the floor, furniture or people.

I don't understand how at a year old he is only trained to "puppy pads"?

I hope that you can condition him not to use this behaviour.....and maybe having him neutered would be for the best.

Bailey is 2 now and isn't neutered, although he only marks outside :)

Could i just ask anyone if they know why the dog does the "Throwing grass all over" bit after they urinate/poop..........It fascinates me, although i don't know the reason for it LOL

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
I don't understand how at a year old he is only trained to "puppy pads"?

I hope that you can condition him not to use this behaviour.....and maybe having him neutered would be for the best.

Bailey is 2 now and isn't neutered, although he only marks outside :)

Could i just ask anyone if they know why the dog does the "Throwing grass all over" bit after they urinate/poop..........It fascinates me, although i don't know the reason for it LOL
He is marking his territory, Caren

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
You might try using these to help with the problem. http://dogloverboutique.com/pd_black_satin.cfm
I got one for my Yorkie stud Mac and it works like a dream. Plus the satin helps keep the hair from knotting up under it. Supposedly if you use it faithfully after a time they are supposed to untrain the marking because the dog doesn't like the wet feeling. I haven't been using it that long so I can't say that it will help with retraining but it helps with the marking. The urine goes onto a pad that is placed on the tummy so it doesn't go on the floor, furniture or people.
That's a YUCKY idea! If Scrappy's dog is just a "pet" and he/she is not showing the dog in coformation then I think it would be in his dog's best interest to neuter him ASAP as has already been advised by many others. There is no reason to leave a dog intact when you are experiencing problems such as Scrappy is. When I was a vet tech I would hear alot of complaints of "male" dogs doing this behavior and once they were altered the urge to mark the home went away. Most of these people who had problems owned small breeds such as yorkies, Chi's, etc. with "small man syndrome" LOL!

I CANT KEEP DOING THIS!!!! Between the dominate and submissive urination, I am getting to the point where I am furious. I went to pick him up and he tried to urinate on me. Why does he keep doing this? I can't take it anymore. I love the little guy , but I cannot live with him.

Doberluv

What advice that you were given have you implimented? You just posted this a short while ago. This isn't going to change over night. Have you begun any of the exercises I gave you? It sounds like you're in fight or flight and very frustrated. I don't blame you. However, it is apparent that your dog is confused and unhappy because he doesn't know what his role is, what he should do, how he should live. He doesn't have a clear leader. He has no reason to act the way humans want him to act because he doesn't know. So he acts the only way he knows how....and that is to be a dog, doing dog behaviors. His way of life is that of a dog. Your way of life is that of a human. He can not live the way you want him to if you can not communicate with him so that he'll understand. You need to change your attitude and calm down and take things systematically. You can't try something for a day or two and expect to see great changes. You need to be consistant and follow a plan for a couple of weeks, at least.

Put some kind of diapers on him for now. Get him neutered. What do you want to breed him for anyhow? There are enough breeders out there who have been doing this for years. Let them deal with all that. You have enough problems already. Go back and re-read this thread. Calm down so you can think. Make a plan. Be consistant. Let this dog know that you are in charge AND that he can TRUST you to be calming, trustworty, kind and a good teacher. If you're as panicked as your post sounds, that is going to make him worse.

If this is too much for you, perhaps you might think about re-homing him to someone who can train him. Just an idea. It might be better for you and your dog.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Scrappy is going to pick on your body language, which right now says "I am so angry for some reason." Since he's already got some submissive peeing going on with new people, it's pretty reliable that he's going to start doing it to you. The submissive peeing is an appeasement behavior, one that is property of puppies and very submissive adults. There is a special scent to the pee that humans can't detect, but it most likely says something along the lines of "I"m young and small, please don't hurt me."

I know it's incredibly frustrating to have a dog always peeing in the house, but you have to keep a calm head about this, otherwise you will exacerbate the problem.

What have you done so far to start your re-training of him?

What can I do in detail? Actual action that I can take to correct the behavior. Thank you for helping me to understand why he is doing this. I am gonna have him fixed. I am gonna put him back in training classes. He is gonna start going on walks with me ( he has never been outside of the house other that training classes). Diapers? huh? Anyways, I will implement these methods if it will help, I will do anything at this point. What are the other things I can do?

PLEASE HELP US

Zoom

Twin 2.0
Ok, his submissive peeing just made a lot more sense. :) Dogs need to be socialized, exposed to as many different places and people as possible when they're puppies (like in the 12-16 weeks stage) for them to be very comfortable as they grow up. A couple weeks of some training class was a good start, but it's probably been forgotten since you didn't keep up on having him meet people, etc. It's not too late to start this now, however! Start taking him to as many dog-friendly places as you can think of. Keep a bag of treats on you at all times and when you meet someone who wants to pet him, have them give him a treat. But only if he's behaving (not actively peeing or growling or jumping on them).

Excercise will help a lot, since he'll be too busy sleeping to get himself into much mischief. There are a number of potty-training threads on here, start from scratch. Treat him like he's a brand-new puppy. Make him work for all his resources (sit for food, down for a treat, etc).

Find a good positive trainer for your next round of classes. Where do you live? We might be able to help you pick out a good trainer.

Most of all, just try to have fun with your dog! They learn better and faster when all training is accompanied by fun and lots of goodies (whether that's his ball or some bits of hotdog). Remember, "obedience training" (sit/stay/come/etc) is just trick-training with a serious face on it! If you've taught your dog how to roll over or play dead or anything like that, you know he can learn.

Luvntzus

What you need is not technically a diaper, it's called a belly band. I've seen them sold lots of places- at Petsmart, people make them and sell them on ebay... Usually you need to put an absorbant pad inside so the urine doesn't go through.

http://www.dog-breeds.net/dog_diaper_belly_band.htm

Basically, this is something that you put on him while working on housebreaking. And you DEFINITELY do need to have him neutered. Having him neutered may stop the territorial/dominance marking entirely, but of course you'll still have to work on the submissive peeing. In the meantime, the belly band keeps people from getting peed on, protects your furniture, etc. And, it can help him to not WANT to lift his leg to pee on people because it doesn't work and he has the unpleasant wet sensation.

As far as submissive peeing, don't EVER, EVER punish them for it. Since it's already an appeasement behavior it's downright cruel to punish him for it. The key is to have low key greetings- no eye contact, no fanfare, no talking until he's gone potty outside and even after that, keep things low key.

It sounds to me like your dog is very much in need of calm, fair leadership. He doesn't need to go back to training classes to learn things like "sit" and "down". What he needs is for you to change the entire way you relate to him. NILIF is the way to go:

http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm

Doberluv

Go back and re- read my post, for one. There are some specific things to do there. Training class gives him one more opportunity to have a "job." Learning sit and stay, learning self control in a group of distracting dogs and people IS all good. Obedience skills that he performs when you ask ARE a huge part of what makes you a leader. He does these things, learns some self control and in doing them, you are acting and he is reacting. I highly recommend a group class with a positive method trainer. Get in the habit of preventing unwanted behavior BEFORE it happens, give alternate behaviors (the skills he learns in class) and reinforce good behavior.

When you say you need something specific, how much more specific? I thought I gave you some good things to do. No one can write an entire training manual here on the thread. Get your pup to a training class. Why hasn't he been out of the house? Is he unsocialized then to people, dogs and different environments outside of your home? If he is completely unsocialized, then the training classes might be too much for him at first. And you'll have to work up to exposures gradualy. Dogs need walks, exercise, brain exercise and lots of it.

Read some books about training: The Power of Positive Training by Pat Miller is an easy read. Start with that.

Here's something else that is good. All dogs need training. Sit and stay and more. Part of the benefit is in the skills themselves, that you can use those things to re-direct your dog's behavior, and part of the benefit is that you learn to be more aware of your dogs behavior so that you can reinforce behavior you want and not reinforce behavior you don't want. This is what will improve how you interact with your dog.....by being aware of his behavior and yours. You are inadvertantly reinforcing or he's being self rewarded for this behavior that you don't like or it wouldn't exist.

http://www.clickersolutions.com/articles/index.htm

You have gotten some great advise here. The only thing that I can add is my total agreement that 1) having him altered, even at this age, can make all the difference in the world. And 2) You must get some training for him and make sure that your body language is subtle and non threatening.
I have had (and still have) 3 dogs with some of these issues.

Amos, who I got at 16 months intact, wanted to mark. I put a cumberbund on him (piece of cloth wrapped around his waist), so that I could watch for him to lift his leg and GENTLY (VERBALLY) correct him and take him outside where he was supposed to go...without him actually peeing indoors.
EDITED TO ADD - I had him altered within the first 2 week of his arrival and you would not have believed the difference it made.

Lola, who was 2 when I got her and would submissive pee if I even looked at her, let alone trying to approach her. It took a lot of patience. I even had to approach her slowly (only halfway) seated on the floor with my back to her and let her come to me. I NEVER raised my voice around her or moved too quickly and I NEVER restrained her if she wanted to get away from me. We built trust slowly but boy, was it ever worth it. She's a happy, playful and confident dog today and hasn't submissive pee'd in so long I can't remember when.

Tinker, my really tiny dog, will still "leak" if a stranger tries to pick her up too soon. I just don't allow it. She needs a warm up period of a few minutes before her leaky valve shuts off.

I think if you just re-read the posts and follow the advise WITH LOTS OF KINDNESS AND PATIENCE... AND A TRIP TO THE VET FOR A NEUTER, you'll help your little one to overcome both issues.

Last edited:

Doberluv

Just good points Dr2little. I agree. It is so important to be gentle, calm and non threatening. And to protect your little dog from people who intrude and overwhelm him.

we went on a three mile hike yesterday. He loved it! he met a couple dogs and a couple kids. I gave him his first taste of people food too, (in his bowl) Boiled chicken. He's been hanging out on the patio the last couple days too. It's starting to warm up, so he can be out there now. He enjoys barking at the squirrels. I'm trying to implement some change, and adhere to your training tips. School and a trip to the vet is on the way too. Thank you so much for your help and patience.

Red_ACD_for_me

Ruled by a RED boy!
we went on a three mile hike yesterday. He loved it! he met a couple dogs and a couple kids. I gave him his first taste of people food too, (in his bowl) Boiled chicken. He's been hanging out on the patio the last couple days too. It's starting to warm up, so he can be out there now. He enjoys barking at the squirrels. I'm trying to implement some change, and adhere to your training tips. School and a trip to the vet is on the way too. Thank you so much for your help and patience.
Good job Scrappy ;) ! Sounds like you are on your way to having a nice house pet. I'm assumming the trip to the vet is to get him neutered.............. :)

ToscasMom

Harumph™©®
Please do not attach human macho manhood to your dog. Neutering him is not going to affect his life and he will not pine away for what Might Have Been nor will he worry that the "women" dogs won't want him in their lives. Neutering your dog is is not the same as neutering you. He is a dog and he doesn't have the same thought processes as human males. What you really need to do is focus on learning how to raise your puppy before you even imagine becoming a breeder. There is a long way to go. Neuter your dog and work on taking control of him as his leader. Just like a child, a dog has to learn that he just cannot do whatever he wants or throw a (peeing) tantrum when things don't go his way. Right now he's your boss and if you don't reverse that now, it will be forever. There are great trainers on this forum. Take their advice. God only knows what my dog might have become if I hadn't done that.

Members online