Long car ride with puppy?

I drove home something like 11-12 hours with Squash and he pretty much slept the whole way. He was in a crate and we stopped and woke him up every few hours to take him out to potty and offer him some water, but I'm not convinced he would have just slept the whole ride if we hadn't woken him up.

adojrts

Great suggestions so far. I would also ask the breeder for water from there instead of introducing a pup to different water while traveling. An xpen is always smart to have when traveling with pup/s. Easy store, set up and take down, and the pups are likely to potty faster and easier than on leash in a strange place with strangers. I would set the x pen up in non dog places, especailly avoiding pet areas as others have already stated. I would bring extra sheets or blankets to hang on the x pen to block vision if they were worried at all. Extra towels and paper towels are a must when traveling with pups along with a some 1/2 water, 1/2 vineager solutions to help with any clean ups. A trash bag to put soiled blankets, towels or mats helps too and a smaller trash bag to confine dirty paper towels if you have to do a quick clean up with no trash bins around to dispose off it. Extra collars and leashes, it would be nice if the breeder could do a bit of training before hand on leading and crate training before hand a must. A blanket to put over the crate in the vehicle in case you need to cover them to keep them quiet or from getting car sick.
Agree with BB, I never let dogs loose in any hotel room until I have checked in and around/under the beds and the rest of the room. I too have found everything from rotting food, pills, illegal drugs and once a condom. I travel with a good flash light for that and for pottying after the sun goes down.

The plan is to pick up the puppies at around 10/10:30 so we should be able to make it home that night without too many issues. I'm also now bringing 3 puppies with me. 1 for us and 2 for 2 different families.

Members online

No members online now.