fear aggression

Okay, so I got Snoopy at the local rescue place last May. he was a year that April. As many may not know he was not neutered (Switzerland, seems they don't see it as a problem) anyway it costs mucho bucks or in this case swiss frances. Anyway he is a very sweet boy at home quiet but playful. Most of the time when we walk he is pretty well behaved. Here is the thing there are certain dogs that he is okay with then some he will suddenly start barking (sounds frightend but also very aggressive.) I have watched him around other un-neutered males which is a very common thing here and he seems to get on fine. All females he likes (big suprise). Even the other day he was playing off the leash with his female buddy and they just ignored all other dogs. Two males came up to check things out Snoop of course said go away the dogs did.No problems there. Then we say our good byes and we are walking about 20min and then another dog passes and the owner pulls the leash on their dog and Snoop freaks.

1. I know that dogs are more defensive while on a leash.

2. could it be fear agression?

3. How to help him cope (I have been working with him, training to walk, come heel, stay etc...) Other ways of building trust and confidence?

4. He comes to me if he is nervose, w/ people, surroundings.

5. we are going to get him fixed but in the mean time any suggestions.

He is a great little guy and want to help him feel better.

Thanks

It sounds like you're doing all the right things. The only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is to distract him when a situation arises where he seems fearful/aggressive or otherwise acts in a manner you want to discourage.

The fact that he comes to you if he's in a situation that makes him unsure is fabulous - what every responsible dog person wants their dog to do.

Members online

No members online now.