How should a Collar Fit?

englishsp

I use two collars. One is a nylon web collar he wears all the time that has his tags on it. It fits very large and rests on the base of his neck. I could shorten it a hole and have it more around mid-neck. Is either fit better?

For walking on the leash, I slip a choke collar over his head at walk time because it's easy to put on but I don't really like the choking aspect.

Could someone give me a primer on collar fit and neck health?

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
The usual rule for the everyday wear collar (if you use one, some don't) is it should be snug enough so only about two or three fingers fit underneath it comfortably. A choke collar is generally not suggested unless it's a limited choke (that is, it can only close so far and not to a fully suffocating smallness) If you have trouble walking him on a normal collar, try a prong or pinch collar which has a restricted amount of "choke" to it. You could also try walking him on a harness instead.

englishsp

A choke collar is generally not suggested unless it's a limited choke (that is, it can only close so far and not to a fully suffocating smallness)

Thanks Izzy. So, the kind I'm using, the length of chain with a one inch ring at each end are out of favor now? I'm only using it because it's easy to slip the loop over his head, I have little to no use of my hands, but I'll do something else if it will harm his neck.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
It will only harm him if he's a puller. If your dog doesn't pull, you're fine using a "choke chain" style collar because he won't strangle himself if he's not pulling. They're out of favor for irresponsible dog owners is all :)

lizzybeth727

I like the martingale collars (AKA "premier collars"), they are limited slip collars (they do tighten but only a little bit). They are designed so that if the dog pulls backward he will not be able to slip out of the collar. Regular buckle collars are, IMO, way too easy for the dog to slip out of. Plus you just slip it over the dog's head, no buckles to worry about. ;)

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Ditto the martingale collar. Some clever dogs can even slip a choke chain. I love martingales!

Ditto the martingale collar. Some clever dogs can even slip a choke chain. I love martingales!
Kharma can slip just about anything. :rolleyes: I've only used a choke when I was still at the farm and that was all I had, but she was adept at slipping it so she could go put the cows in the barn.

englishsp

I got a couple Martingale collars and I really like them, the kind with a metal ring on each end of the cloth webbing strip and the chain runs through the rings, leash attaches to the chain. They're really much more gentle on his neck, when he does pull the pulling is less frantic, and very easy to put on and off by slipping on over his head.

Members online