Dog interaction question...

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
I'm just wondering if I should be worried about my Dog raising the hair on the back of his neck and near his tail base when other dogs approach him. Is this normal or is it bad? The only reason I ask is because this morning on our walk someone's little Chocolate Lab puppy was running loose near their house as we walked by and the puppy came up to say hi and be friendly and all.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Does your dog growl or show any aggression when his hair raises on end?

Your dog also might be the dominante type of dog. I have known dogs to do that, yet be completely fine with other dogs when they approach them.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
SummerRiot said:
Does your dog growl or show any aggression when his hair raises on end?

Your dog also might be the dominante type of dog. I have known dogs to do that, yet be completely fine with other dogs when they approach them.
Nope, he just stands it up and watches the other dog, and half looks ready to play with the dog.

Edit: Would making him sit down or lay down and roll over do anything to ease his tension or make him less apt to raise his hair?

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
I think sitting would be a good idea and when the dogs come up to him, tell him "good visit" or "gentle" or something like that.

I wouldn't make him roll over because that is a dominance issue there (being on his back infront of strange dogs) and if hes already dominante that might pose a problem.

he also might be just soo excited to see another dog to play with..

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
SummerRiot said:
I think sitting would be a good idea and when the dogs come up to him, tell him "good visit" or "gentle" or something like that.

I wouldn't make him roll over because that is a dominance issue there (being on his back infront of strange dogs) and if hes already dominante that might pose a problem.

he also might be just soo excited to see another dog to play with..
I'm 85% sure he's not a dominant or even mid ranking dog, as near I can tell he seems to be an Omega. And when he sits I tell him good boy, by the time the puppy was done with his initial sniffing I think Dusty's hair had backed down and such. I'm also thinking of trying to get to know a few other dog owners and arrange some scheduled play times for Dusty and their dogs.

SummerRiot

Dog Show Addict
Thats good that hes got a play buddy so close!

Have you taken him to any puppy classes yet? That would also be a GREAT place to socialize your dog!!

Edited;

Before I took Riot to puppy class, although he'd been socialized properly since I had gotten him(9weeks old), he was still scared of dogs running up to him to play or of strangers touching him.
Hes compeltely gotten over the dogs part, he loves all dogs. The only problem with him is if another dog is aggressive he'll stand his ground and try and fight back..
hes just NOT at 8 months getting over strangers touching him. (Hes in conformation classes and working with a professional handler now)

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
SummerRiot said:
Thats good that hes got a play buddy so close!

Have you taken him to any puppy classes yet? That would also be a GREAT place to socialize your dog!!

Edited;

Before I took Riot to puppy class, although he'd been socialized properly since I had gotten him(9weeks old), he was still scared of dogs running up to him to play or of strangers touching him.
Hes compeltely gotten over the dogs part, he loves all dogs. The only problem with him is if another dog is aggressive he'll stand his ground and try and fight back..
hes just NOT at 8 months getting over strangers touching him. (Hes in conformation classes and working with a professional handler now)
I live in a place where there aren't many things such as classes for Puppies. I'm going to try and do my best though.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I wouldn't worry. If your dog is a little unsure of other dogs he will raise his hackles (the hair), just to make himself look abit bigger. It is not just a dominance thing. Bodhi's hackles raise round other dogs and she is about as non-aggressive as it gets. She doesn't even know what aggression is :D She is just a bit shy round some dogs.

They will raise their hackles even when they are just spooked sometimes.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
Dizzy said:
I wouldn't worry. If your dog is a little unsure of other dogs he will raise his hackles (the hair), just to make himself look abit bigger. It is not just a dominance thing. Bodhi's hackles raise round other dogs and she is about as non-aggressive as it gets. She doesn't even know what aggression is :D She is just a bit shy round some dogs.

They will raise their hackles even when they are just spooked sometimes.
Okay I won't worry about that, just watch for other signs of aggression from him.

adamwehn

Learning Puppy Wrangler
adamwehn said:
Okay I won't worry about that, just watch for other signs of aggression from him.
Well I found a definite playmate for Dusty, and maybe a couple more. The one definite is a small lab a bit bigger than dusty, then there's that dog's two puppies which are bigger than her. But anyways, looks like we might be getting to know a few labs.

PerkyPawsCafe

Perky Paws Cafe
If your dog is a bit uncertain about things (dogs, people etc), a young, energetic strange puppy running at him can be quite scary! Another reason why people should respect the leash laws! LOL

Given you were put into that situation, I would just do what others said, do some trick training, walk the other way, like no big deal.

Also, working with a good trainer you and the dog. Not just someone handling your dog.

Hackles can mean a number of things. It all depends on what else is going on. Sounds like your pup was a bit tense & unsure. FYI, hackles go up in arousal, sometimes even in play.

~Tonya

Members online

No members online now.