non kc vs kc non standered

Ok I DO not want this to end up In a fight,

I was talking to a lady today that asked me if we were going to breed from Pearl, i said no she is to be spayed in a month and anyway she is not registered, she said so my ridgeback wasn't registered but she still had pups, she said that responsible breeding is important to her, and she still did all the health tests and temperment tests and also looked into her dogs background and said she thaught its better to breed a dog that is the standard and not registered, rather than a registered dog that isn't the standard!

I agreed with her, just because a dog is regestered it doesnt mean that its a quality dog. hubby got fed up coz we talked for ages lol, I said how I was a member of dog forums and that i found out that dogs in some places cant be shown if they are not registered or spayed and we are lucky that that is not the case here, so i guess i was wondering what you all think?

Just to help Dogs that are not Pedigree registered here can still compete in KC conformation shows they can also be placed but they cant get points! so you can find out if they are the standard or not!

So what do you think do you agree with her statement or disagree? Please only base this on the UK rules and not other regiterys as they are all different and please dont let this be another bad thread

RD

Are you dead yet?
I disagree for the most part. Do you have a pedigree for Pearl? Do you know what is behind her and what she could potentially throw if she was bred? She might be great, but what about the lines behind her?

An unregistered dog may be able to get their conformation evaluated by a judge, but if they cannot earn points and eventually get their ch. title, what good is it? Word of mouth, that a judge put your dog up? Anyone could say that.

I would rather breed an unregistered dog of better quality than a registered dog, but I would not breed without knowing and researching the pedigree and I would not breed without the opinions of quite a few reputable breeders in regard to her structure.

I am not breeding Pearl, i was talking in general, as i said they cant get points, and you do have proof of the placings in the cups that can be won and from the placings that each show posts, thank you for the last part that is what i wanted lol,

RD

Are you dead yet?
Oh I know you're not :) It was a generalized "you" not meaning you specifically.

Oh It was just the part about does Pearl have a pedigree lol, that made me think you thaught i ment I had changed my mind hehe, if you get that

Y

yuckaduck

Personally: I think a pedigree is important because it allows to to research any issues around the background of the dog. Not just the dog in front of you [ not you you, but you in general]

Registration papers: I like to have because there is no disputing it. My hubby could careless about that though so we constantly battle on who to breed and who to spay based on that. He wants to breed Faith but I have already ended that arguement for many reasons no way. She is a mutt, we have no background info and she is a rescue. I prepaid the puppy package which includes spaying at 6 months of age. HEHE Sorry hubby but that ends that one.

There are more then enough mutts out there and for what we are breeding for no one would buy mutt pups anyway.

yes i agree, but you can also have a background even if it isnt regestered! working regesterys are a good way of getting this also

yes, i just think that she is correct that a great but un registered dog is better than a poor registered one, I am not thoigh saying everyone should go ahead and breed all unregistered dogs !

bubbatd

I had all my goldens registered and only bred them to registered goldens, because blood lines , titles ( proof of the standard ) OFA, CERF, etc were a must for me. Though mine were not shown , they were all standard by according to the golden breeder I got my 1st b*tch from. They showed and were judges and they evaluated all my Goldens before I bred. They took one of my pups as stud fee and showed her to the top.

bubbatd

Also.... I registered all my litters, and had the choice when the pups left whether or not the new owners could register the dog. Had there been any " faults" , I wouldn't had let them. If you have an unregistered dog and breed , if you have all the tests and an KNOW it's standard... then I guess it would be OK, but the fee would be much, much less and then you have new owners who may not think it's worth the extra money for all that goes into proper ownership. Hope I made it clear !

i know you know what to look for, but someone who doesnt needs to know that just because a dog if from to show winning parents that doesnt mean that they puppy will be quality, and i dont mean you bubbatd

bub about the cost part, i gree that they should cost less, but the owners should be still screaned and homes found either before of great ones after the litter is born, when we got Pearl we had wanted a Boxer for years but hubby wouldnt Pay £800 pluss which is how much they cost here for a kc pet quality, so when Pearl was born we had her for £350

bubbatd

GJ ....There's a gray line here... I don't think this will go anywhere, personally. Example... I bred Bubba to a registered female whose partial predigree I was familiar with . she was great, but one pup had a terrible over bite. All my pups had had great bites. I had the owner of the litter, sell for less and had no breeding in her contract. I still feel that breeding un -registered parents is almost BYB .... I doubt if the owners of both sire and b*tch would put the money into all the testings etc. Yes, I've had owners who didn't register.. I don't think Chip is, though his litter was , because the owners were going to neuter him and didn't plan to show. Yet he is completely within standard and is of show quality.

Beauceron

(UNLESS YOU HAVE A TRUE WORKING DOG)

If your not showing in any of the dog sports how can you compare your dog to others? How do you know that you have a quality dog? We all look at our dogs and say "wow... what a great dog." but in reality some dogs are of higher quality than others.

bubbatd

I have belonged to the Indiana Golden Retriever Club for over 45 years...so talk to the owners of conformation, field, obedience, untility and just good old house pets within. When I say conformation, many compete throughout the US and Canada and win. Yes, some are of higher quality .... they win the Blues ( in the UK Reds) others just place. When you watch the Westminister and hundreds are excused... they all are great...just not chosen by that judge.

Beauceron said:
(UNLESS YOU HAVE A TRUE WORKING DOG)

If your not showing in any of the dog sports how can you compare your dog to others? How do you know that you have a quality dog? We all look at our dogs and say "wow... what a great dog." but in reality some dogs are of higher quality than others.
sorry i dont understand your question? Did you read my first post fully?

Y

yuckaduck

What makes that person think you are not showing? HUH? I guess it someone who just wants to stir the pot again!:rolleyes:

R

RedyreRottweilers

For me, only the very BEST examples of a breed should be used for breeding. This means dogs who are proven by competition to be able to "cut the mustard".

The only reason I could possibly find to breed an unregistered dog is in some circumstances for working reasons. (Farm dogs, sled dogs, service dogs etc, who are specifically bred or crossed to do a certain job).

NEVER for any other reason, and never for the pet trade.

Members online

No members online now.