"Prey" desensitisation : (wild) cats ....

bonster

Disappointed :(
Where we are there seem to be a fair number of wild cats around.... Bonnie is a pretty good leash walker - and is always walked on leash unless in a wide/safe/pretty empty open space... but when she catches sight of one of these wild cats (which I've only noticed quite recently) she will go into overdrive.

Once she's told to stop pulling she will, but she will be literally quivering and whining/yelping, ready to zoom!

Some of this is in her make-up for sure, she is a mix with Spanish hunting dog - she's had no exposure to cats and what's worse is that some of these wild cats are pretty fearless, and rather than running off will sit nearby watching as we (struggle) to get past - realising I think that she is leashed and can't get them!!

It not that a common an occurence, and no harm will come - like I said she is always leash walked in this scenario and she will respond, but has a real battle going on inside... and the noise she makes :eek:

Any ideas?

Athebeau

It's quite difficult to get a dog with high prey drive desensitized to such situations. Even dogs used to cats and living with them can go into predatory drift over cats outside the house.

What you can try doing is to carry really wonderful treats that have a powerful smell to them. Have a waist pouch or carry in your pocket. When you see a cat try to lure your dog into a "look at me" command. Reward the dog for looking at you and taking his attention off the prey object. I have seen some people put the treat in their mouth and spit it into the dogs mouth while walking past objects that put their dog into predatory drift. It gives the dog something "else" to focus on.

Always reward for appropriate behavior and lure the dog into the desired behavior. Snapping on the choke collar or shock collars etc normally don't work and in some cases that I have seen personally can make the situation worse. The only way is to actually get the dogs attention off the prey object and reward for the behavior you desire.

Of course this will only work if your dog values the food over the opportunity to chase a prey object. With my Rottweiler I had to scan the horizon first to see any prey objects and get her attention on me before she zoned in. I would have her watch me and treat as we walked by.

bonster

I think you are right - distraction is probably the way here, but she would prefer 'the chase' than the food in most cases I'm sure. Plus if I put some tasty ham, her favourite, in my pocket she'd know it and play me up before we even got out!!!

I'd never use any kind of choke device - given that Bonnie has a longish/thin (greyhound type) neck I sometimes walk her on a body-harness which is much better if she does start to pull.

I'm going to have to keep a lookout for these pesky cats - and try and distract her before she "locks on", like you said :) ... thanks!

Athebeau

It's about the best you can do. Reward for the behavior you desire. It's the only solution I found:) Once they go into eye stalk it's hard to get them back.

I always admire how people with herding breeds shape the predatory behavior into a desired action. Like down and crouching at the right times etc. It's amazing how they train the dogs the way they want them to use their prey drive.

Brattina88

We have a cat in which the dogs get along with beautifully, but when Maddie sees one outside she used to act very simalar to your discription. Athebeau gave Very good advice, and this worked for us. Another thing I did was teach Maddie "Target" Where its her job to bump her nose agaisnt the palm of my hand. Once she learned what I wanted and did it well I put it to good use by making her do it as we walked past, and I tried to get her to do it before she sees a cat. I do it a couple times in a row, in different and more challenging positions so she has to work to get her nose in my palm. Let us know how it goes with your dog ~

bonster

I like that idea - a distraction command that will take her focus away. That's just the thing, she will heel, sit etc but once she's 'locked on' it takes a lot to take her out of 'ready to zoom' mode and the shaking, yelping is something else! It doesn't happen often, but when it does !!!

I think my trouble will be the Bonsters' bionic eyes (she's sighthound-blooded and can see for miles...) :D but I think that this idea will help a lot. When she was younger, just out of rescue and prone to scatty spells in open spaces (overwhelmed I guess by the freedom) - to calm her down we'd kneel in front of her and give her near-area focus.

So I think that will really help --- thank you to both of you for the advice here --- I'll let you know how we get on...

Members online

No members online now.