Reverse Weight-ism: Thoughts?

How do you feel about "reverse weight'ism"?

• Women NEED curves and those pictures are telling it as it is!

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Reverse weight'ism is just as bad as normal "weight'ism"

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Tamale and rice

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I've been seeing a lot of pictures like this floating around lately:

So, how do you feel about images that portray that women "need" curves to be attractive? Do you feel that they're just as insulting as the women "need" to be stick thin arguments?

I find it to be hypocritical. Why does someone "need" to be stick thin, overweight, curvy, "normal," etc, etc.? Can't we just say women of ALL sizes are beautiful without picking on ANY weight categories?

Thoughts? :popcorn:

It's all a matter of opinion and what turns your crank. I have to wonder if maybe it's time we stopped whining about what "they" are trying to make us think and feel, find a little self-identity, say "whatever" and go on about being ourselves.

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
So, how do you feel about images that portray that women "need" curves to be attractive? Do you feel that they're just as insulting as the women "need" to be stick thin arguments?
I don't think anyone NEEDS to be thick or thin.
I think every woman was born differently, and they should be proud of it.

Do I think its insulting? No. I don't think its insulting that woman "need" to be thin or "need" to be thick.

I say its not insulting, to ME, because I am thick. I have an @ss, thighs, hips, and boobs. I am very happy with my curves. I don't think that if a girl has curves that she is fat, now THAT would be a bit insulting for a guy or girl to say "Well since you have curves, you are fat".
But I love my curves and I don't judge a woman for having curves or not.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I think it's stupid to say something like "real women have curves," implying women who don't have curves are somehow not real women? But I don't think it's as damaging as how the rest of society promotes women should look.

I'll worry about it when they start airbrushing women to be fatter.

and by fatter I don't mean curvy, I mean if they literally started taking a normal girl and airbrushed her into, say, a plus sized model.

ETA: PS I love tamales.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Basically, it's saying that a pair of jeans without pockets is useless, just like a woman without curves.

I just think that these pictures are stupid. Let's single out the thin women and say that they're like a pair of jeans without pockets.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
The only reason I would really defend some degree of reverse weight-ism is because the scales are so heavily weighed (pun intended) in favor of being super skinny. I think its good for young women to see another paradigm, one were curves are sexy, and a few extra pounds is not a source of shame and panic but rather a sign of health and fertility.

No one should be subject to prejudice or mockery because of their weight, however.

All women of all sizes can be beautiful (check out Rubin's work), but what we really need to do is emphasize that extremes are unhealthy, and that you should aim for and appriciate your body's natural weight and shape.

I always feel really sorry for black women who are skinny as heck, except that they naturally have largish bottoms. They aren't fat and that's just the way they are . . . but I still see them made fun of.

And aren't tamales and rice together a lot of starch? That's one way to get curves!

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I think these images are just going about things the wrong way. Saying "real women have curves" and "curves are beautiful" are two completely separate things. This picture is putting down one group of women and lifting the other one up by insult.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I'm with you on this Jessie - I *don't* have curves and while I'm not "offended" I do find it very hypocritical. ALL *healthy* women are beautiful!

I'm generally happy with who I am and how I look, and I wish more women could say that and mean it!

Red.Apricot

I'm not terribly fussed by them. A lot of my friends have been posting these sorts of pictures on facebook lately, and while I think there are better ways to get your point across (and better points to make), people are mean, and the vast majority of the meanness is aimed at women who happen not to be skinny. Life is worse by far, in terms of teasing and meanness, for overweight folks than it is for skinny people.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Well, yeah. We (humans in general, not just women, men too) are CONSTANTLY singled out based on our appearance, and it's always stupid to put somebody down, no matter which aspect of somebody's appearance you are picking on.

Lil, that is my body. I have so many people say to me "OMG, you are so skinny!" Yeah, my waist is. The ass? Not so much. I also tend to attract a certain kind of guy with my body type... ugh.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
people are mean, and the vast majority of the meanness is aimed at women who happen not to be skinny. Life is worse by far, in terms of teasing and meanness, for overweight folks than it is for skinny people.
So is it okay to just throw insults back at people who haven't insulted you?

I'm "skinny" and don't have "curves." I have never teased anyone for being overweight so why is it okay for skinny people to be told they're not "real women"?

Skinny people DO get picked on as well. I was called "string bean" and told that I had "bird legs" as a kid. These insults hurt just as much as being called "fatty." Somehow this is seen as okay by people, thus the circulation of these pictures. I'm not offended by these pictures, but I think it's very hypocritical.

If I said that real dogs weighed under 10lbs, I'm sure that many people on here would think that is ridiculous! ALL dogs are real dogs- let's just celebrate that!

Red.Apricot

So is it okay to just throw insults back at people who haven't insulted you?

I'm "skinny" and don't have "curves." I have never teased anyone for being overweight so why is it okay for skinny people to be told they're not "real women"?

Skinny people DO get picked on as well. I was called "string bean" and told that I had "bird legs" as a kid. These insults hurt just as much as being called "fatty." Somehow this is seen as okay by people, thus the circulation of these pictures. I'm not offended by these pictures, but I think it's very hypocritical.

If I said that real dogs weighed under 10lbs, I'm sure that many people on here would think that is ridiculous! ALL dogs are real dogs- let's just celebrate that!
No, I don't think it's okay to make fun of people for being skinny--I don't think it's okay to make fun of or insult anyone for their body type. I also said, "and while I think there are better ways to get your point across (and better points to make)," meaning that I don't think it's okay, and that I do think it would be far better to talk up a particular body type, rather than talk down someone else's.

My BMI is 17.3 right now, and ranges between about 16.5 and 18 normally. I know about the insults you get being skinny, and I know about the, "Oh my GAWD, WHY are you SO skinny? It's CRAZY, UGH, I'm glad I'm not that thin, lol," and the insults. And while they do suck, they're not as constant as the teasing and meanness directed at overweight folks.

I just don't see these sort of messages as that big of a deal, especially given where the balance in media between 'be skinny' and 'be curvy' lies.

Last edited:

Taqroy

I keep trying to reply to this thread but I'm not sure what exactly to say. This kind of thing doesn't bother me - one because I don't see it unless it's pointed out to me and two because I could mostly give a crap less what "society" thinks I should look like.

So I guess I'm gonna with tamales and rice. Only in my mind the tamales are enchiladas. :p

ETA: I have to admit that I would probably feel differently if I had ever been teased over my weight - or lack thereof.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Meh, IMO these are in defense after society pushing obscenely skinny as the only acceptable body. That said, yes we should all be PC.

I'm "average" I don't work out often (I never have the time or energy)and while I'm rarely thrilled with my weight I'm not "over weight" and maintain pretty well considering my awesomely gluttonous love affair with food.

If you want my god honest truth opinion Id like to see some posters talking about brains and character, not bodies. That would be far less offensive.

zoe08

I don't think anyone should be made fun of for anything.

But as far as the current trend emphasizing stick figures and big boobs....I think that the people who have those things, should let this slide. In all honesty I believe it is a better picture to portray than what is currently plastered everywhere encouraging so many girls to have eating disorders so they can be thin enough.

When they start making every single actress and every single model plastered all over in skimpy clothes or swimsuits have REAL curves, then I might feel a little bit more sympathy with those who are just naturally extremely thin.

I think the most important thing is to emphasize being healthy, but I also think that should mean showing REAL people, not photoshopped people or celebrities who have all the money in the world to pay for personal trainers, nutritionist, and plastic surgeons.

-bogart-

Member of WHODAT Nation.
I don't think anyone should be made fun of for anything.

But as far as the current trend emphasizing stick figures and big boobs....I think that the people who have those things, should let this slide. In all honesty I believe it is a better picture to portray than what is currently plastered everywhere encouraging so many girls to have eating disorders so they can be thin enough.

When they start making every single actress and every single model plastered all over in skimpy clothes or swimsuits have REAL curves, then I might feel a little bit more sympathy with those who are just naturally extremely thin.

I think the most important thing is to emphasize being healthy, but I also think that should mean showing REAL people, not photoshopped people or celebrities who have all the money in the world to pay for personal trainers, nutritionist, and plastic surgeons.
:hail::hail::hail:

Dakotah

Kotah BEAR
I'm with you on this Jessie - I *don't* have curves and while I'm not "offended" I do find it very hypocritical. ALL *healthy* women are beautiful!

I'm generally happy with who I am and how I look, and I wish more women could say that and mean it!
You get *claps claps claps*
You said it better than what I was trying to say lol

Members online

No members online now.