Loose dog, super sweet - owner doesnt care

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
maybe someone here will have some ideas.

There is an adorable min pin/jrt cross named Rufus who runs around the side road by my house, the high way infront of it, and my grooming shop. This dog is very freindly and the owner puts a bandanna on the dog. People are always coming in the shop telling us that one of our dogs got loose, or that we let someones dog loose. And we are always saying, no he is not ours or our clients. It HAS to be bad for business!

Well, one day I crouched down outside and he came to me. He had a name tag on, so I called the owner. The owner was actually MAD that i picked his dog up. The owner told me to let him loose and he would come back home. I asked the man where he lived, and he lived about 5 miles away. and the dog would have to cross a main highway. I told the guy no. Flat out no, i was not letting his dog loose, he has to come and get it.

The guy came and got him.

next day, dog was back. I picked it up, called the owner. we went through the same thing again! he wasnt me just to turn it back loose and I say no. So he came and got it again.

He told me that he has 3 kids and the dog bolts out the door when the kids open it. so he runs away every day.

The day after that, the dog was playing with three strays out in the middle of the highway. I called animal control to pick to dogs up. They didnt catch any of them but our ol buddy. I told animal control that i knew the owner and the owner didnt care about his dog being loose.

Next day, the dog was running around in front of the shop again. I called animal control again!

And today, that little dog is still running around! I just have no idea what to do!

I know its illegal and wrong, but I would love to take his name tag off and drop him at a no kill shelter about 3 counties over. this guy doesnt need this dog!

EDIT: the title... I ment that the dog is super sweet. not the owner. the owner is a pain in the butt!

Xandra

LOl I thought you were being sarcastic about the owner.

First of all I would explain that having his mutt hanging around outside of your shop is bad for business, seeing as how people entrust their pets to you. Then explain that you will not stand by while his dog is running around diminishing your paycheck and annoying you, and that this is going to entail calling animal control, every day, if necessary.

So I would keep calling animal control. Like, for a week. Then, bye bye doggy.

If you fear retribution, cut out the first part, call AC for a week and then get rid of his dog.

JMO.

bubbatd

How horrible !!! I'd remove tags and put him up on Petfinder !!!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i would personally catch him and drop him off with AC or a no kill shelter, if hes sweet if a no kill will take him thats how id do it...
if however the no kill will charge you a fee to drop off a "found" dog id simply remove all id and let AC take him.
hoepfully his owner wont bother looking and the poor dog will get a chance at a good life.

dogsarebetter

EVIL SHELTIES!!!!
I was thinking, I bet Rufus has a microchip!
I remember his owner telling me that he got him from the dog pound. and i *think* the dog pound microchips all the dogs.

xpaeanx

I was thinking, I bet Rufus has a microchip!
I remember his owner telling me that he got him from the dog pound. and i *think* the dog pound microchips all the dogs.
take the collar off, call AC, and find out what happens...

and if he comes back again, keep calling AC.

If your AC is anything like mine, there's a charge to get your dog out, and it goes up every time the dog comes back within a certain time frame(I think it's a year).... so he'll either learn how to contain his dog, or he'll eventually let them rehome him.

Xandra

Even if there isn't a charge, the guy obviously doesn't care too much about the dog. Eventually he'll get pissed off about having to drive 10 miles a day, every day, for a dog and he'll do something.

Members online

No members online now.