Fleas 101

JoeLacy

My son thinks he has a flea problem in his house and on his dog and cat.

What does he do?

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
well first all the animals in the house need to be flea dipped and treated with a topical like k9 advantix (dont use if the dog and cat groom eachother as advantix is not safe for cats) or frontline plus...
this will help break the cycle ON the pets.

ontop of this he needs to wash everything that can be washed, the pets bedding, anything "soft" they sleep on needs to be washed HOT!.
carpets and furniture shoudl be steam cleaned.
and if the infestation is bad enough, remove pets and people from the house, cover all fishtanks EXTREEMLY well and set off a flea bomb (you can pick up flea bombs at most feed/agricultural stores)

unfortunatly fleas can be a real problem once they get into the house as you need to be incredibly through about cleaning everything. there also rather resilient so when washing bedding and such it should be run on hot and adding bleach will help.

many have great sucess with borax in the carpets before vacuming, and a product called Diamateous (sp?) Earth.

using a topical like frontline plus will help break the life cycle of the fleas so once you get the home cleared itll stay that way.
topicals should be applied once a month and dont buy the cheaper stiff, it doesnt work as well and been proven to cause some pretty nasty reactions.

we use frontline plus of K9Advantix, with you having a cat id probably go for frontline plus.

good luck, i HATE fleas!

Dreeza

ughh that sucks...first figure out how bad it is...

A flea comb is your BEST friend...if you are just pulling off a few, you may not have to go crazy...get them all off...bathe in flea killer shampoo... start advantix/frontline/whatever (NOT on cats though...i dont know what you put on cats)...

then vacuum like crazy.

We had a minor flea issue & we never bug bombed or anything...just did the above things & our dogs are all happily flea free right now!

Gena

Frontline plus is the same for dogs and cats. Our vet sells us a big tube and I split it between the dogs and cats using the dosage they provide me. I've always caught flea issues early so just doing a good vacuum, a bath and the frontline works for us. I also keep a flea collar in the vacuum bag all the time just in case I suck one up.

Amanda885

get flea meds for the pet, vacuume and dust your house, and then spray it with stuff (just make sure to not have your pet or people in that room that day until it fully airs out (keep window open). we just had the same problem and had to do it one room at a time and seems like the fleas are gone. yay! good luck! :)

Members online

No members online now.